Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Oklahoma cyclists shot and killed...

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-22, 04:26 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts

OK, not sure where this belongs...

But since it is about cyclists...
Police arrested a "person of interest" in the slayings of four Oklahoma bicyclists in central Florida — more than 1,200 miles away, authorities said Tuesday.

Joseph Kennedy, 67, was arrested in Daytona Beach Shores, in a car "that was reported stolen to the Okmulgee County Sheriff’s Office" Monday, according to a statement from police in Okmulgee, Oklahoma.

Mark Chastain, 32, Billy Chastain, 30, Mike Sparks, 32, and Alex Stevens, 29, were reported missing last week and were found shot and dismembered bodies days later in the Deep Fork River, Okmulgee police said.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...rida-rcna52796

That is some bad "road rage."
Old 10-18-22, 04:40 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I've followed this story with some interest. That they were "cyclists" seems incidental to reports that they planned to engage in some sort of criminal activity for a big score. I seriously doubt it was road rage. IMHO, they were up to no good and paid the price.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 10-18-22, 04:46 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
They were going to hit their big score on bicycles? That's unique.
Old 10-18-22, 05:11 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
This has little to do with Advocacy and Safety. It should probably be in the Low-lifes and Criminals section. They caught the guy who did it and it appears as of right now that it was a criminal on criminal situation, at least according to the news in Tulsa!
Old 10-19-22, 07:13 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldairhead
This has little to do with Advocacy and Safety. It should probably be in the Low-lifes and Criminals section. They caught the guy who did it and it appears as of right now that it was a criminal on criminal situation, at least according to the news in Tulsa!
I think you're right... is there such a section?

Apparently the four gents went off bent on some sort of mischief and it met them, "head on." It is still being investigated, but apparently this was not a road rage incident, but something vastly different.

The four men gathered the evening of Oct. 9 at a residence associated with Billy Chastain and left on bicycles, Okmulgee police said in a news release.

When the men did not return to their homes that night, relatives reported them missing.
Authorities ran down tips and traced data from Mark Chastain’s phone, which allowed them to follow some of the group’s movements. The men had visited a salvage yard and a local gas station before going to a second scrapyard. At that point, the phone either died or was turned off.

During the Monday news conference, Prentice said authorities determined that the men intended to commit a crime based on a witness who described being invited to “hit a lick big enough for all of them.”

“That is common terminology for engaging in some type of criminal behavior,” he said. “But we do not know what they were planning or where they planned to do it.”

On Friday afternoon, a passerby called police after noticing something suspicious in the Deep Fork River. Officers arrived to find “what appears to be body parts protruding from the river,” the police chief said.

It was not until Monday that authorities confirmed the bodies belonged to the missing men. Prentice said each was shot.

“All four bodies were dismembered before being placed in the river, and that is what caused difficulty in determining identities,” he said.

Neither the men’s bikes nor the gun used to kill them have been found.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...mbered-bodies/

That bikes were involved seems to be no more than a coincidence.
Old 10-20-22, 01:53 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I have been following this as well. But it appears they are not just four friends out on a bike ride and instead four criminals out to cause problems whilst riding their bikes.
Old 10-20-22, 02:49 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3234 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Originally Posted by blue192
I have been following this as well. But it appears they are not just four friends out on a bike ride and instead four criminals out to cause problems whilst riding their bikes.
Yes, this is how I understand it. They were heading somewhere, on bicycles, for some likely illegal activity. Got into it with others, and are now dead. I was curious, given their ages (30's) how nobody had a car and why they were all on bikes.
Old 10-20-22, 04:27 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
This is not too far from me so I have seen a bit of this in the news. They were missing for several days and news reports were indication that authorities were not considering foul play. Around here, that is an indicator that the missing men were likely known to local law enforcement and authorities were not in a give a damn mode of looking for them. I don't know that greater efforts to find them would have made any difference in the outcome except for finding them sooner unfortunately.

Old 10-21-22, 09:36 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Not everyone who rides a bike considers themselves "cyclists".
Old 10-22-22, 07:02 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
............ I was curious, given their ages (30's) how nobody had a car and why they were all on bikes.
We see that a lot around here, bikes are the ultimate urban scout and escape vehicle. they don't require title, registration or insurance. They are easy to get around on, don't draw much attention, they can cut through tight spaces a squad car can't, they are easy to ditch in a hurry and replacements are easy to find and steal. The local PD's are so overwhelmed with the astronomical rise in vehicle thefts here in the past 2 or 3 years they don't give a bicycle a second glance to see if it might be stolen or not. Most of the time four guys cruising down a side road on bikes wouldn't draw any attention other than some rolled coal and a couple shouts of "Ride on the @#$*ing sidewalk!" People figure they're a cycling club or DUI's on their way to or from an AA meeting.