Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Clipping in [Flame suit on]

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Clipping in [Flame suit on]

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-22, 04:38 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I'm with you. I don't have much experience with flat pedals, but a good pedal stroke is not just up/down, push/pull. It involves forces in multiple directions throughout the circle. Being attached is important for "round" power.

Toward the end of my racing era, I was working with a former Olympian. One of his focuses with me was developing a pedal stroke that recruited additional muscle groups to contribute to powering the bike. This paid off the most in keeping the big power muscles fresher for when big power was required. As my stroke improved, it was how much fresher my legs felt at the end of races. I miss that feeling.
If by “push/pull” you mean delivering power over the top and across the bottom… good flats and shoes let you do that.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 11-29-22, 04:46 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Apparently in German and possibly related languages, they're "click-pedals". That's much more sensible than "automatic", which sounds like they engage and disengage on their own. No.
That was my experience with multi-release cleats.
Old 11-29-22, 04:54 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,086 Times in 3,825 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
If by “push/pull” you mean delivering power over the top and across the bottom… good flats and shoes let you do that.
By "push/pull" and "up/down" I was meaning the same thing. Some people tend to see the pedal stroke in only 2 directions - pushing down and pulling up. My goal is round Getting the hip flexors contributing is part of it, but the feel of it (to me) is a smooth transition through multiple muscle groups. It will never be perfect, but that's my intent. When everything is firing at the right time, unconsciously, it feels awesome.

Admittedly, I have little experience with flat pedals to truly understand their abilities and limitations, so I'm probably assuming too much about the limitations.
Old 11-29-22, 09:42 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Ejector pedals!!
Winding up a 1500w sprint when suddenly *SPROING!* I was ejected from my pedals and run over by the pack

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-29-22, 09:45 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
By "push/pull" and "up/down" I was meaning the same thing. Some people tend to see the pedal stroke in only 2 directions - pushing down and pulling up. My goal is round Getting the hip flexors contributing is part of it, but the feel of it (to me) is a smooth transition through multiple muscle groups. It will never be perfect, but that's my intent. When everything is firing at the right time, unconsciously, it feels awesome.

Admittedly, I have little experience with flat pedals to truly understand their abilities and limitations, so I'm probably assuming too much about the limitations.
If I'm just pushing down on the pedals, I start bouncing at about 105 rpm, but if I concentrate on pushing forward on the pedal going through 12:00 while pulling back (no UP) on the one at 6:00, I can spin up to 130 or more before I bounce out of the saddle.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-29-22, 11:44 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts

I rode flat pedals from 7 to 17, lots. At 17, I got my first real road bike, a full Campy Legnano with rat trap pedals, clips and straps. My first ride on that bike, I was turbine powered. Yeah, the pedals go 'round and I could put power into them during the whole circle!

Yes, it's complicated. The idea is to keep the force on the pedals constantly tangential to the pedal circle. No, you can't do that with flats. There's a lot of power to be produced at the bottom of the pedal stroke. For about 90° there, one should feel the shoes' heel cups, quite noticeably. Using my power meter, I can pedal at a constant cadence and watch the power vary according to how much pressure I'm putting on the heel cups at the bottom of the stroke. One can add power for a few minutes by pulling up on the backstroke, but the hip flexors are not strong and will give out quickly. I just try to take the pressure off the rear pedal as it comes up.

One gets better at what one practices and emphasizes. It's not possible for the same person to pedal with different styles, evaluate them for efficiency, and get an unbiased result.

As noted above, once one figures out how to pedal smoothly, a 150 cadence is possible for short periods, 200 is not at all impossible. It's just neuromuscular control. I love the freedom of being clipped in.