Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Derailleur and brake wire clamping force

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-22, 11:10 AM
yannisg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts

Clamp excessively and you might be cutting wire strands.
Not enough clamping torque and the wire might slip under sudden high braking force.
There are torque specs for the clamp bolts.
However, with the advent of polymer coated wires it has been suggested that the clamping torque might not be enough especially under heavy braking conditions due to the applied polimer.
So, to be on the safe side, especially for the brake wires, scrape the clamping area to remove the polymer before applying the torque.
Any views on this.
Old 12-06-22, 11:43 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6185 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
If it slips on me... and sometimes they have, I tighten them more. Sometimes I had to tighten them more a couple times. No torque wrench required. No scraping required.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 12-06-22, 11:46 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Agree 100%. I've never had polymer coated brake cables but I have used polymer coated shift cables. Even tightened excessively, these slipped enough to affect shifting accuracy. Since then I've avoided buying coated cables and scraped the coating off the clamping area for the ones I still had.

Given good quality lined housing, cable coating is unnecessary and can be a liability.
Old 12-06-22, 11:59 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
If you need to use more clamping torque on polymer cables, I would flip the washer under the clamping bolt.

Washers are stamped out of sheet. The tool always produces a slightly rounded edge from impact and a sharper edge as it exits the material. The duller the tool the worse the bottom edge.

While I have never flipped a washer to put the rounded edge against the cable, if I were having issues with the cable being cut I’d try that. It would seem that a rounded/chamfered edge would be less likely to shear the cable under force.

John
Old 12-06-22, 01:00 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,818 Times in 1,539 Posts
IME the torque I put using a torque wrench is high than I did by feel. on new stuff that often comes with slippery cables I use manufacturers spec for torque and have not had any slippage issues

Old 12-06-22, 01:09 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,562 Times in 1,420 Posts
The maximum torque depends on the screw (diameter, pitch, and material). Up to that limit find the torque that does the job. If you find or suspect that slippage may be an issue go higher subject to the maximum. Logically coated wires might want more clamping force, and if that's an issue I wouldn't use them for brake cables, especially the front.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.