Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is it abnormal to fret about a small scratch on a nice bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is it abnormal to fret about a small scratch on a nice bike?

Old 12-07-22, 01:30 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I worry about my older bikes a bit more too. They're not bespoke but are harder and harder to replace with a new similar: nice carbon fiber frame with rim brakes. Yeah I have disc brake bike and it's great, but I'd not choose to buy one for my road bike when I next need one. But might not have the option for a higher-end CF frameset. It's a long way off, though, barring a damaging crash.
-Knocks on door wearing white shirt and a tie.-

“Brother, have you heard the good news about steel?”
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 12-07-22, 01:44 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,581 Times in 2,897 Posts
Is it abnormal? With out a doubt its “aby-something”, (Young Frankenstein) and that’s why I just received this: Don’t do as I say. Not as a don’t do**********?

Old 12-07-22, 09:59 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
-Knocks on door wearing white shirt and a tie.-

“Brother, have you heard the good news about steel?”
Good point. I do have a steel bike, but it is not my most comfortable and enjoyable bike. I'm interested in trying another steel bike sometime.
Old 12-07-22, 10:44 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Good point. I do have a steel bike, but it is not my most comfortable and enjoyable bike. I'm interested in trying another steel bike sometime.
For good or for bad, I know that steel frame builders will have a market for rim brake bikes until the heat death of the universe.

I think comfort comes down to fit, then tire size. Geometry, the purpose of the bike, and the designers experience all have more to do with comfort than the actual material it’s made from.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 12-08-22, 06:35 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
For good or for bad, I know that steel frame builders will have a market for rim brake bikes until the heat death of the universe.

I think comfort comes down to fit, then tire size. Geometry, the purpose of the bike, and the designers experience all have more to do with comfort than the actual material it’s made from.
^^^This.^^^
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-08-22, 02:48 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts

Indeed. My steel bike is a pretty racy Sannino from the 80s. It's a beautiful frame, and not actually "uncomfortable" - it's fine for my normal 1-2 hour rides. But it's what I think is called, criterium geometry - racy, tight wheel base, steep angles, quick handling and requires a relatively racy saddle-bar drop compared to what I really like in my late 60s. I ride it regularly and enjoy it, it's just not as comfortable as my CF and Ti bikes which are different beasts all together. It will take 25mm tires which I will switch to when the 23's I have on it wear out. I might put on a higher rise stem too, but I'll have to say, it's fun just having a racy bike every once in a while. Wouldn't suit me as my only bike for sure. I"m lucky to have a decent variety.

If/when I get another bike, my vision is either a vintage or modern steel with geometry and fit that mimics what I like on the other bikes, which shouldn't be hard. For some reason, I've always wanted a nice British frameset so that's kind of what I'm edging towards. I've got my sexy Italian already

Last edited by Camilo; 12-08-22 at 02:51 PM.