Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Seperated Rim Seam?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Seperated Rim Seam?

Old 12-08-22, 11:01 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
No it isn't. The crack/line I posted about does not go all the way down the rim like the rim joint does. It's clearly a different area and possible issue.
Take another look at the photo without tire in the OP. You'll see same split on both sides in the exact same place with respect to the spoke.

Note. It's from the opposite, so mirrored.

It would stretch credulity beyond yield for a near identical, perfectly straight to form in the same relative position.

Besides, if you look close enough, you can see the gap close halfway down, with the closed seam still visible.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-09-22, 06:05 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Take another look at the photo without tire in the OP. You'll see same split on both sides in the exact same place with respect to the spoke.
Another identifying feature of the rim joint (though it doesn't seem to be shown here) is that it's diametrically opposed to the valve hole.
Old 12-09-22, 07:53 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Soody
I did not. This is interesting to me. So... the seam is not welded, and the brake track and hook of the rim are just held in place by a pin below and tension? That seems crazy.
When a tire is mounted and inflated, the joint is being pushed together, not pulled apart. Not crazy at all
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 12-09-22, 10:30 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
When a tire is mounted and inflated, the joint is being pushed together, not pulled apart. Not crazy at all
Not to mention that spoke tension does this as well.
Old 12-09-22, 01:18 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts

Note. It's from the opposite, so mirrored.

It would stretch credulity beyond yield for a near identical, perfectly straight to form in the same relative position.

Besides, if you look close enough, you can see the gap close halfway down, with the closed seam still visible.
Looks like I need a better quality computer monitor. Thanks.

Cheers
Old 12-09-22, 01:21 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
With my split rim the wheel was rideable until I deflated the tire and then the wheel tacoed badly and t he split in the rim got a lot bigger. With the inflated tire on the rim the split was barely noticeable.

Cheers
Old 12-09-22, 03:03 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by Miele Man
With my split rim the wheel was rideable until I deflated the tire and then the wheel tacoed badly and t he split in the rim got a lot bigger. With the inflated tire on the rim the split was barely noticeable.

Cheers
Well then it's really a good thing you didn't get a flat far from home or you would have been SOL.
Old 12-09-22, 03:09 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Not quite. It's still going to flex like all rims do. Taut spokes lessen that some but not completely. Fact remains that the pins are clearly bent.
Old 12-09-22, 03:15 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Well sort of. I wanted to use these wheels on a different, nicer build, with some new consumables, because they have good hubs. But with this flaw, even purely a cosmetic one, I will put them onto something much cheaper, aim for ~$50
If you're curious about my work/local market these are the bikes i'm currently selling:
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/search?m...isting=6820063
A New Zealand dollar is about 60 US cents.
Some really nice bikes you have posted on that site. Much nicer than the one you posted a pic here of.

Let me just add that this wheel flaw is really more than cosmetic. Cosmetic or not, if you plan to sell any bike with those wheels, it would be unconscionable of you to not disclose that flaw, or any other flaw for that matter in a listing.
Old 12-09-22, 03:20 PM
Schweinhund

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
BITD, welded rims were the exception rather than the rule..
Wait, what? I have rims from the 40's and 50's that are welded.
Rims from the 70's- welded.
Rims from the 80's welded.
Pinning without welding was a way to make rims cheaper, they knew what was better.
I have 10 random wheels here, 7 of 10 are welded.
Old 12-09-22, 04:25 PM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,888 Times in 1,646 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
Not quite. It's still going to flex like all rims do. Taut spokes lessen that some but not completely. Fact remains that the pins are clearly bent.
FBinNY pointed out in post 6 that the problem is not bent pins but rather that the ends of that rim extrusion were cut square and therefore could not be made to meet perfectly from the top to the bottom of the rim when it was formed into a hoop. The rim would look the way it does whether or not the pins were bent.
Old 12-09-22, 04:47 PM
Schweinhund

Originally Posted by Trakhak
FBinNY pointed out in post 6 that the problem is not bent pins but rather that the ends of that rim extrusion were cut square and therefore could not be made to meet perfectly from the top to the bottom of the rim when it was formed into a hoop. The rim would look the way it does whether or not the pins were bent.
That's not it. the pins are bent. You don't have to believe it. I really don't care. it was pretty common with some of those old rims.
Yes. Bent pins.
Old 12-09-22, 06:36 PM
Schweinhund

What I believe happened, is an unplanned stoppie. If it wouldn't have had a tire bead holding it together it would have been catastrophic.
So dude is riding along and a unplanned emergency runs in front of him and he grabs a handful of brake, the front one.
Stoppie. Dude is still on the seat as the bike comes crashing down on the back wheel. For a strong highly tensioned wheel, probably not a problem. This wheel ain't that.
So the seam is at a 90° to the point of impact, and dude is not a little guy and his rear is driving the bike down. wheel distorts just enough to bend the pins.

Front rim would just require running into something firmly with the seam at a 90° to the impact.
Old 12-09-22, 07:43 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
FWIW - the problem is that the extrusion was cut square, so there was a bit of a missing pie wedge when it was formed into a circle.
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
What I believe happened, is an unplanned stoppie. If it wouldn't have had a tire bead holding it together it would have been catastrophic.
So dude is riding along and a unplanned emergency runs in front of him and he grabs a handful of brake, the front one.
Stoppie. Dude is still on the seat as the bike comes crashing down on the back wheel.
So the seam is at a 90° to the point of impact, and dude is not a little guy and his rear is driving the bike down. wheel distorts just enough to bend the pins.
I invoke Occam's Razor.
A simple, plausible manufacturing event vs emergency "stoppie" resulting in wheel striking pavement, seam coincidentally at 90° to pavement, with a rider of a certain mass who doesn't know how to brake.
Old 12-09-22, 08:43 PM
Schweinhund

Originally Posted by sweeks
I invoke Occam's Razor.
A simple, plausible manufacturing event vs emergency "stoppie" resulting in wheel striking pavement, seam coincidentally at 90° to pavement, with a rider of a certain mass who doesn't know how to brake.

Yes. A catastrophic event is more plausible than a one in a million manufacturing defect.
Old 12-09-22, 09:34 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 214 Posts
I think this could be schrodingers wheel where I both cut the spokes and scrap it, and ride happily on it for years more
Likes For Soody:
Old 12-09-22, 10:07 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Sometimes a thread reaches a point where people have very solid unshakable positions. Rather than argue or try to prove anyone wrong I invoke the spirit if Justice Brandeis who might have said, "the remedy for bad information is more information."

We've beat this horse enough and people can sort through the posts and decide for themselves what to believe.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-09-22, 10:12 PM
Schweinhund

Sometimes a thread reaches a point where people have very solid unshakable positions. Rather than argue or try to prove anyone wrong I invoke the spirit if Justice Brandeis who might have said, "the remedy for bad information is more information."

We've beat this horse enough and people can sort through the posts and decide for themselves what to believe.
On this we agree.
Old 12-10-22, 09:32 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Not an obvious marker of a low end rim at all. Even welded rims are pinned. I’ve broken down many rims for scrapping and they all have pins. It’s how the rim is held together so that it can be welded.
Should have been more clear. Pinned connections are not the marker of a low end rim. Pinned connections that leave a large gap like this are the marker of a low end rim.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 12-16-22, 06:35 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Time for a new rim or a new wheel entirely. I wouldn't ride on that personally.
Wasn't aware this was the Chicken Little forum...

=8-(

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Likes For mrrabbit:
Old 12-16-22, 06:36 PM
mrrabbit 

I did not. This is interesting to me. So... the seam is not welded, and the brake track and hook of the rim are just held in place by a pin below and tension? That seems crazy.
Normal...par the course.

=8-(

Disclaimer:

4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 12-16-22, 06:37 PM
mrrabbit 

What do you guys reckon about this?

Perfectly fine, not a problem.

=8-(

Disclaimer:

Old 12-16-22, 06:54 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by mrrabbit
Wasn't aware this was the Chicken Little forum...

=8-(
After all the years here, how could you not be?

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-16-24, 12:20 AM
mauin1x

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have similiar problem
Old 02-16-24, 12:54 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by mauin1x
Have similiar problem
See post #6 by FBinNY and his subsequent posts on the subject.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.