Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling to recover from alcohol and drug abuse?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling to recover from alcohol and drug abuse?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-22, 03:33 AM
BikesOverBooze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love this!

Originally Posted by wipekitty
Well...I'm an alcoholic in long-term recovery, an addict who found alcohol to be the best of all drugs. A good number of the men on my dad's side of the family have problems with the booze. I've been sober now for 7 1/2 years. I was quite addicted: it was much easier for me to quit smoking than drinking.

Cycling has been a huge part of my recovery. When I first got sober, I had problems sleeping...so a few nights a week, I stayed up all night and then rode to work (33 miles). If I had a bad day or whatever, I rode my bike. When my dad was battling cancer, then eventually died, I rode my bike - and got through it all without booze. During the 9 months or so that I didn't ride my bike, I was a hot mess. Cycling helps me kill off some of that anxiety, anger, and fear that I used to kill off with alcohol.

Along the way, I discovered that riding my bike fast, long, and hard gives me a buzz. I feel good after putting down a few hills, and I feel high somewhere around the 3-4 hour mark. The more I push it, the more I get the buzz. I actively seek the feeling. It's a replacement addiction, and I will readily admit this. Just like with alcohol, I don't want to stop until I'm passed out. The difference is that with cycling, I can and do.

Cycling alone is not enough for me to abstain from alcohol, but it helps. It's a big part of my action steps for maintaining sobriety, which includes treatment for biologically based mental health issues, therapy, helping those in need, and actively trying to be a bit better each day.
Love this very honest response! I run a cycling club here in the UK for recovering alcoholics and those who just want to cut down. We're called bikesoverbooze.com. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-08-22, 06:27 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
I, also, have been alcohol free for over 7 years. I have been a road cyclist for about 50 years. I have no doubt that bicycling played a big part, still does, in my staying that way. That includes acquiring tools and learning how to do the work on my bikes. The mental aspect of cycling is just as important as the physical aspect, maybe more. One caveat, for me, that means riding outdoors. Pedaling indoors does not give me the same level of mental release, or as big of a boost.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 12-08-22, 10:07 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I, also, have been alcohol free for over 7 years. I have been a road cyclist for about 50 years. I have no doubt that bicycling played a big part, still does, in my staying that way. That includes acquiring tools and learning how to do the work on my bikes. The mental aspect of cycling is just as important as the physical aspect, maybe more. One caveat, for me, that means riding outdoors. Pedaling indoors does not give me the same level of mental release, or as big of a boost.
You better not pedal outside if it's cold. I'm reading elsewhere that it's very bad for your health.
Likes For seypat:
Old 12-08-22, 11:46 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 1,575 Times in 731 Posts
Drinking quit me about 5 years ago.

Cycling is very good for my mental health. Whether free riding or cranking on an interval, I'm completely focusing on the here and now.

On the other hand, fooling around on old French bikes allows for a lot of ruminating. 😉
Old 12-08-22, 12:11 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
You better not pedal outside if it's cold. I'm reading elsewhere that it's very bad for your health.
This was the first, serious, respectful, heart-felt thread until your unnecessarily post. If this was an attempt at humor, you missed the mark,

My heart and best wishes go out to all that are struggling, or are in remission. You are and have climbed mountains higher than I can imagine.

Last edited by rsbob; 12-08-22 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-08-22, 01:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
This was the first, serious, respectful, heart-felt thread until your unnecessarily post. If this was an attempt at humor, you missed the mark,

My heart and best wishes go out to all that are struggling, or are in remission. You are and have climbed mountains higher than I can imagine.
It is a thread from 2017 so it has been zombie'd a couple times it is also a thread on the internet, people make jokes. I use humor to deal with tough situations personally and it works for me. I don't know if that poster was doing that but really just relax a bit people can have fun on an online forum about a fun hobby where sometimes we get silly threads that devolve into silly arguments that in the end don't matter. We cannot take it so seriously or ourselves so seriously all the time.

Agreed whole heartedly on the second part of your post. Having known enough people in recovery or who should be in recovery I know it is a tough thing to beat.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-08-22, 02:09 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3662 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Like nobody on BF has made a career of starting stupid threads.....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-08-22, 07:02 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I think it is chuckle worthy. That thread is the reason I put the temps in my post.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 12-09-22, 09:01 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
To recover from drug abuse, cycling would seem to be one of the least boring ways to do it!!!
Old 12-09-22, 09:42 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
I am the not-so-proud owner of a ticket. D.U.I. on a bicycle, in 1996 or so. Cycling didn't replace alcohol and drugs, it enabled them. My breaking point was waking up on the bathroom floor of a gas station in my own puke.
The clerk knew me and let me sleep it off. I was mortified when I had to leave that bathroom stinking of puke/alcohol and piss.
That was it.
I am an alcoholic. I am 23 years sober. 29 years for that white crap.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 12-09-22, 10:36 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Howdy folks, I'm also an alcoholic and addict. I put down the booze on 9-18-92, and recently realized, that I completely missed my 30th AA birthday, lol. 🙄

I really struggled with it, in the beginning (about the first 10 years), because of coming from a pretty dysfunctional family.
I really wanted to be normal, but didn't really know what normal was. Guess what? There's no such thing. 😒 So don't waste your time trying to "fit in" or live up to any expectations, your own or anyone else's. Just get rid of your bad habits, and fill the void with some good habits.

As far as meetings go, there's a lot of good stuff, and a lot of crap. Just take what you need, and leave the rest.

Bicycle riding took me quite awhile to get into, because I was dumb enough to hang onto my tobacco habit for several more years, after I put down the booze. I finally quit that, when Seattle raised the taxes on tobacco like crazy, back in the early 2000s. I "could" still afford it, but my resentment against the government let me quit, just to spite them, lol. 🤔😉

Anyways, I'm still a pretty sick puppy, but a lot healthier, without all that mess.

If I can do it, y'all can too. ✌️😎✌️
Likes For stardognine:
Old 12-12-22, 11:29 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
I'm not an addict, but I have a loved one who is.
Cycling has had no effect on their addiction. It has not improved, nor has it worsened, their recovery.
Old 12-12-22, 11:42 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
FWIW the latest Adventure Cyclist is all about dealing with mental health issues, including addiction, through bicycling.

For some reason the ads don't mention such issues and focus on the cycling.
Old 12-12-22, 11:53 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,587 Times in 1,223 Posts
I see mention of zombie thread. Kind of fits for this topic. Just when you thought you had it beat.
Old 12-12-22, 12:04 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
When I think about it I realize that I quit just about anything that interfered with my activities, except food. Drinking? Caused me to slow down and have longer recovery times so forget that. Smoking? No way, I need my air. Illegal drugs? No Way, military piss tests made that kinda stuff a career decision. Prescribed drugs? Pain killers, close call after breaking several vertebra in a bicycle back injury, but as soon as I found myself popping a Tramadol before a ride, fugitabout it! There are a few things I am addicted to. One is my massage chair. I drag myself over to it for at least 30 minutes each morning and then a few more times before bed. My back brace, yep at least 8 hours a day mostly at night. And Rats... I just love sweets... Ha

Doing a study on the use of bicycling is a good idea. There are many aspects of cycling that assist in recovery. I read a good publication years ago on a Motorcycle Group (Gang) that was sober and toured the country. I think it was in the VFW magazine about 5 years ago. The article identified seven important aspects helping with recovery. The most important being social support. You should look it up for comparisons.

I have associated with many, many successfully recovered addicts. My personal observation is that the successful ones have a founded belief in a higher power and are always active, both physically and socially...

Just realized this post started 5 years ago... Wonder what he published?

Last edited by zandoval; 12-12-22 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-12-22, 02:32 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,526 Times in 7,325 Posts
“Days of Wine and Roses” was on TCM last night. Definitely worth watching if you’ve never seen it. The greenhouse scene is powerful.
Old 12-13-22, 06:35 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
I made my own beer and mead for 25 years. I was really into it, all grain, judged beer comps, etc. I kept three beers on tap for my friends and I. I rode my bike as well thinking that it mitigated the two twenty ounce beers/night that I drank. I went to the doctor for a check up in January and he presented me with "the numbers". It was like someone pulled down a huge electrical lever. I'm done. I've been getting rid of my equipment. The weight is coming off. I will now pour my thoughts and efforts into cycling until I cant any longer.

Last edited by boozergut; 12-15-22 at 08:17 AM.
Likes For boozergut:
Old 12-13-22, 06:55 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Learning healthy habits to replace destructive ones is part of a solid rehabilitation plan in treatment of all addictions.
It is also great for mild/moderate depression/anxiety.
I start getting agitated if I cannot get out for a ride/hike 2-3 times per week.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 12-13-22, 12:39 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
To recover from drug abuse, cycling would seem to be one of the least boring ways to do it!!!
We've read your takes on addiction in another thread. Maybe sit this one out.
Likes For caloso:
Old 12-13-22, 06:18 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Cycling, or even running, seems to be an excellent antidote for a variety of concerns. It could be a bad relationship, a stressful job, pervasive anxiety, uncontrollable life circumstances and (you fill in the blank). As all of us know, exercise has proven benefits, both mental and physical. Even if the activity is only temporary, it provides something to look forward to in the future and a reprieve. It may also allow you to eat just a bit more guilt free.

Old 12-13-22, 08:34 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,526 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Maybe sit this one out.
He allegedly has enough recumbents to do that.
Likes For indyfabz: