Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Taking Out A Loan For New Bike

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 02-20-17, 06:28 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts

I heard a fellow cyclist bragging the other day that he had to finance his new bike (For a year) through the bike shop! What?? Since when did bike shops get into that racket?
Old 02-20-17, 08:59 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
So what would you normally do? Pay with a credit card, yes?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-20-17, 09:03 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
So what would you normally do? Pay with a credit card, yes?
Yes, I pay with a credit card and then pay in full on the next statement, like always. I don't pay any interest, but the bank pays me to use the card and I don't have to carry around piles of cash. Yay!
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 02-20-17, 09:08 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
The UK has an unique bicycle loan program. I think one has payroll deductions for repayment.

I'd never take out a loan on a bike, but I could imagine someone wanting a $1000 - plus bike, and wanting to pay for it over time. $5000 bike? $10,000 bike? In many cases, $1K is considered barely "entry level".

Is it also insured for theft?

It is my belief that if you can't afford it at the store, then buy used and learn to maintain it yourself. Or, heaven forbid, buy a department store bike (and learn to maintain it), perhaps incremental upgrades within reason.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 02-20-17, 10:36 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

It is my belief that if you can't afford it at the store, then buy used and learn to maintain it yourself. Or, heaven forbid, buy a department store bike (and learn to maintain it), perhaps incremental upgrades within reason.
I feel the same about cars...
Old 02-20-17, 10:42 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich
I feel the same about cars...
And if you can't pay cash for a house, you should build one yourself. You can always start with a basic lean-to structure and build on from there.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 02-20-17, 10:54 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
I heard a fellow cyclist bragging the other day that he had to finance his new bike (For a year) through the bike shop! What?? Since when did bike shops get into that racket?
Why on earth would anyone brag about needing to finance a bicycle purchase? Maybe it is related to the bizarre agonizing that some posters seem to do over every nickel and dime purchase they are considering.
Old 02-20-17, 11:05 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by jon c.
And if you can't pay cash for a house, you should build one yourself. You can always start with a basic lean-to structure and build on from there.
My parents built their house. And my grandparents too.
Old 02-20-17, 11:15 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
We're in a society where people want to have things now instead of saving for them. If your credit is so bad that you have to apply for a loan, what does that tell you? A person with maxed out credit cards should not be taking out a loan for a 1 or 2 thousand dollar bicycle.
Old 02-21-17, 12:27 AM
pamelaw33

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't heard of it in here in Canada. We give bicycles on EMI on credit card. That is all. Maybe this is a way to encourage people to buy bicycles.
Old 02-21-17, 01:06 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
We're in a society where people want to have things now instead of saving for them. If your credit is so bad that you have to apply for a loan, what does that tell you? A person with maxed out credit cards should not be taking out a loan for a 1 or 2 thousand dollar bicycle.
What is the average credit card rate? 10+ percent?

It is quite possible that a "secured" loan would be at a lower rate than taking on credit card debt (if the card isn't paid off).

I'm not sure if these are quite the loan programs in the UK that were mentioned earlier.
https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/

Ahhh, this is it. Cycle to Work Scheme (probably related to the above).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycle_to_Work_scheme

And, perhaps with a loan, one could get a slightly better bike than paying cash. Whether or not that is better, would be up for debate. Not my thing.
Old 02-21-17, 07:30 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
A secured line of credit currently here would be around 3.5%. So a $10K loan you're looking at $25/month interest. It's not bad compared to the 18% charged on credit card.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 02-21-17, 08:16 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Why on earth would anyone brag about needing to finance a bicycle purchase? Maybe it is related to the bizarre agonizing that some posters seem to do over every nickel and dime purchase they are considering.
My guess is because people like to brag about how much money their stuff is worth. And I guess saying that he financed it made it seem more expensive. Pretty dumb if you ask me.

Not all loans are bad, especially if they're really low interest. In some cases you HAVE to have something now even though you don't have the cash. My wife's old car was about to bite the dust, and we needed something ASAP. I got us a loan through my credit union for just 1.79%, which means we're only paying a TOTAL of about $1,000 in interest across 5 years, or about $16 a month. That's not bad at all for the piece of mind of having a much newer, reliable vehicle for my wife and son.

But no, I could not see taking out a loan to buy a bike. I guess buying it on a credit card is the same thing, though. Shoot, maybe a lower-interest personal loan would make more sense than putting it on a CC if you can't pay it off immediately.
Old 02-21-17, 08:53 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Well, taking out a loan and buying the bike you want straight off would still be better off than buying a bike with the immediate plan to do a thorough upgrade at shop prices.

Although not as sensible as saving up to it.
Old 02-21-17, 09:17 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I like Mr Money Mustache's thoughts regarding debt:

News Flash: Your Debt is an Emergency!!
Old 02-21-17, 09:32 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
But no, I could not see taking out a loan to buy a bike. I guess buying it on a credit card is the same thing, though. Shoot, maybe a lower-interest personal loan would make more sense than putting it on a CC if you can't pay it off immediately.
Takes all kinds, eh?

No one would brag about using a credit card to make a purchase, it is just a method of doing business. The question remains who in their right mind would brag about taking out a loan from a financial institution for a bicycle?
Old 02-21-17, 09:34 AM
fast_rider

Bikes: Mountain

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buying new bike is getting a baby but in a shop! haha
Old 02-21-17, 09:37 AM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
What if the kid commutes by bike and is just so excited to have a nice new bike? A lot of young folks need to build some credit to be able to buy a car, or to eventually be able to by a house. Borrowing money with a long-term plan is not a bad or evil thing. When my grandfather was young he did it to build enough credit to eventually buy apartment buildings, he was a wealthy and debt free man when he passed away. I had a fair amount of debt in my 20s and 30s, but landed to be debt free by 50. I am now debt free. For all of the highly critical folks here, how many didn't make any mistakes as kids? How many are debt free and own a home with no mortgage? How many have assets in the millions?

The kid could be making a mistake, but maybe not. Hopefully he is being careful, and just building some credit.
Old 02-21-17, 09:53 AM
SteelThisBike

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Intenso, Lemond Zurich, Stowe, Trek 930

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Paypal is always emailing me, reminding that I can spend 10 grand for six months interest free. Pay it off in time and no interest -- so in theory one can put a bike on credit and not get ripped off, and build credit.

It doesn't sound like the guy was bragging if he said he had to finance it. That's more like, "damn, I'm so broke that I had to finance..." or "can you believe the price of these new bikes?" rather than bragging.
Old 02-21-17, 10:04 AM
king_boru
The Moose

Bikes: 2016 Giant Roam 2, 2004 Norco Torrent, 1969 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It isn't uncommon. The majority of people don't have $10k+ just sitting around let alone $5k. If you know you can make the payments and need to build credit then a small loan for something you want isn't a bad way to do it.

And really, why care what someone else does.
Likes For king_boru:
Old 02-21-17, 10:09 AM
chopsteeks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by king_boru
And really, why care what someone else does.
Exactly.....unless the person asks for an advice.
Likes For chopsteeks:
Old 02-21-17, 10:34 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
I remember a bike shop owner grousing about some almost-Cat-1 college kid asking to finance a new race bike. He was planning to move up from Cat Almost-4 in a year, just needed a new bike, and if the shop could just give him a lighter bike he could do it and wear the shop jersey (that would have to be thrown in, too!). Apparently this sort of thing happened a couple times every year.
Old 02-21-17, 11:53 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Going into debt to buy something that depreciates the moment you take it out of the shop is just not good money sense, and especially so if the interest on the debt is non-deductible. Perhaps young folks don't consider these things when they make such purchases. I was speaking with someone at a party on the weekend who paid $42,000 for a one-year old Nissan Z3.5. He was maybe 25 y/o and living with parents. Do you think he thinks about cared whether or not the debt was tax deductible? And I sort of get this--this was going to be his chick magnet! Could the same be said for a bike? Any bike?
Old 02-21-17, 12:38 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Going into debt to buy something that depreciates the moment you take it out of the shop is just not good money sense, and especially so if the interest on the debt is non-deductible. Perhaps young folks don't consider these things when they make such purchases. I was speaking with someone at a party on the weekend who paid $42,000 for a one-year old Nissan Z3.5. He was maybe 25 y/o and living with parents. Do you think he thinks about cared whether or not the debt was tax deductible? And I sort of get this--this was going to be his chick magnet! Could the same be said for a bike? Any bike?
New bikes are a ridiculous purchase if the depreciation is something of concern. Take a quick look at CL to find out how extreme it is.

However, if a person loves biking, will ride the bike into the ground, and loves the bike, then depreciation just is not a factor. As I have gotten older, I have only bought new. And, the depreciation has only bothered me when I did not like the bike and sold it. So, picking carefully is critical.
Old 02-21-17, 12:44 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
I am going to start with the assumption that I am not talking about an insanely expensive bike, just a decent one that is well kitted out for commuting. This also assumes a reasonable interest rate.

If the up-front cost is all that is keeping a person from cycle commuting,and replacing a car in many of their life activities, they might be well advise to actually get it and start; rather than just thinking about it at some indeterminable point in the future.

People here then to consider the choice to be between bike and no bike. The read decision most face is between riding and driving. If they are able to get rid of a car then they will probably come out dollars ahead.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.