Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

A tick turns to tickety tickety tock

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-19, 12:27 PM
scarleton

Bikes: Lynsky R240 w/ Ultegra Di2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am trying to hunt down this tick sound my bike is making and after my latest changes, things have changed, maybe it will give folks some insight as to the root of the problem.

I have a Titanium frame that has internal Di2 wiring.

It started off sounding like a tick/ping sound as I pedaled with moderate to heavy power ALL THE TIME. A light metal against metal type of sound, quiet enough that I could block it out, but when I could not block it out, it drove me up a wall!

No change happened when I replaced the cleats on my shoes, which needed to happen nor when I tried flats.

Then I took the crank and BB off, cleaned them and reassembled them. Took it for a quick ride (where there are not hills) and it sounded good.

Someone suggested I check the chainring bolts, I tightened them (by hand, don't have a torque wrench), and when for a 1 1/2 hour ride with hills. What I noticed was that on the flats it was nice a quiet, even when putting down a little power, I don't think I ever tried getting out of the saddle and sprinting, but under heavy load it was quiet.

Then when I went up a hill, even with the same moderate power (around FTP) the bike makes a tickety tick tick type of sound. Before the sound was about once every one to one and a half revolutions. Now it is multiple ticks per revolution of the pedal.

I have another bike with the EXACT same crank and type of BB, I could swap those out. But I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what is going on with the bike.
Old 07-08-19, 01:30 PM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
I've been chasing a clicking sound also, sure its not the wheels/spokes?
Old 07-08-19, 01:31 PM
scarleton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steelman54
I've been chasing a clicking sound also, sure its not the wheels/spokes?
That was a passing thought I had, I should change wheels and see what happens.
Old 07-09-19, 05:52 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
Does it happen when standing or just sitting? If it only happens when sitting, it could be the seat post or saddle rails.
Old 07-09-19, 06:53 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
You did not mention the pedals. If you have not done so, remove them, clean the surfaces where pedals meet the crank faces, grease threads and reinstall. Chainwheel bolt can also cause clicking - even when tightened - from grit, so you could resort to removing and cleaning them as well. I'm going to assume you properly torqued the cranks and BB upon reinstall.
Old 07-09-19, 07:17 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Yeah but what the OP is describing is more of a metallic ping if I understand correctly.
Old 07-09-19, 07:43 AM
scarleton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
You did not mention the pedals. If you have not done so, remove them, clean the surfaces where pedals meet the crank faces, grease threads and reinstall. Chainwheel bolt can also cause clicking - even when tightened - from grit, so you could resort to removing and cleaning them as well. I'm going to assume you properly torqued the cranks and BB upon reinstall.
Thank you so much for your reply. I guess I wasn't really clear when I made reference to "flats" that was my poor attempt to make reference to another set of pedals designed for regular shoes. I have NOT used a torque wrench to tighten everything down, guess I should invest in one Any recommendations on the best place to get one that won't break the bank?

Also, how do you recommend cleaning things like the Chainwheel bolts? What cleaner should I use?
Old 07-09-19, 07:45 AM
scarleton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
Does it happen when standing or just sitting? If it only happens when sitting, it could be the seat post or saddle rails.
Thank you for your reply. You ask a very good question, I don't stand much so I am not 100% sure. When I go for a ride this evening I will look into that, I will also do some sprinting on flat roads (both seated and standing) to see how bad it is then, too.
Old 07-11-19, 09:31 PM
jfan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I had a ticking sound I couldn't track down, and I couldn't replicate it on the stand. It only happened with weight on the bike. It turned out to be the seatpost. The LBS mechanic put some goop (I can't remember what it was called) on the post and reinstalled it and the noise was gone.