Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Traveling on JetBlue. My bike case is 93" but they specify only 80" allowed. Help!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Traveling on JetBlue. My bike case is 93" but they specify only 80" allowed. Help!

Old 12-02-22, 12:32 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
The non-money-saving option is to buy a new folder that will fit in a sufficiently-small case.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 12-03-22, 12:04 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
The non-money-saving option is to buy a new folder that will fit in a sufficiently-small case.
Yes, the solution is always N+1, duh!
Old 12-03-22, 11:24 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I bought a Ritchey Breakaway 3 years ago for this reason. Unfortunately, COVID hit 2 months later, and I've never traveled with the bike.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-03-22, 11:37 AM
dsilvers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Am surprised

Not more ppl with actual experience.

Airport is prohibitively far for me (given busy schedule) to get there and do a test run. I cancelled the JB flight and instead booked on the ****tiest airline in the world - Frontier - and they gladly took my oversized case without a problem. I still have other JB flights booked so would still love to get an answer before I accumulate more credits I’m not likely to use.
Old 12-03-22, 11:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,300 Times in 7,231 Posts
I think we’re looking for an answer that doesn’t exist in any meaningful state. What has happened to others might not be what would happen to you due to several variables beyond your control.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-03-22, 11:52 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
I don't think you can count on Jet Blue making a long series of exception to policy. All they need to do is fail to do it once on a return flight and you are screwed. Instead, there are a few clear options:

1. Leave the bike at home. Rent one at your destination.

2. Use a different airline. Check the large baggage policy before purchase. Don't rely on exceptions.

3. Package the bike, if possible, in a box that enables you to adhere to the restrictions on baggage size. Maybe a frame box, and pack the wheels separately.

4. Ship the bike by some other means (eg Bikeflights).

5. Get a folding or Rinko bike.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 12-03-22, 11:53 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I think we’re looking for an answer that doesn’t exist in any meaningful state. What has happened to others might not be what would happen to you due to several variables beyond your control.
This is your answer in light of the published 80” max.

John
Old 12-03-22, 12:19 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by dsilvers
I cancelled the JB flight and instead booked on the ****tiest airline in the world ...
saltiest?
Old 12-03-22, 12:41 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
More on Rinko: https://www.renehersecycles.com/how-...-a-rinko-bike/

The parallelegram (rhomboid?) packaging is key.
Old 12-03-22, 06:21 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
This is your answer in light of the published 80” max.

John
Yep. You never know what could happen if you exceed that max, no matter what others have experienced in the past.
Old 12-04-22, 06:23 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
What are you going to do if they turn you away at the last minute? If the primary purpose of the flight is to get to a bike tour you would be screwed.

I suggest that in the future you use more bike friendly airlines. I do so even when not flying with a bike. Why reward airlines that are hostile to bikes with your business?

That said, I have used a soft case that I am pretty sure gets down to the 80" limit for me. Mine is a cheap one with no padding and I add some cardboard. If I already had the ticket, I'd either use the soft case or ship the bike via bikeflights.com or shipbikes.com. You'd have to make arrangemants with a bike shop, warmshowers host,, or maybe a hotel/motel you wil be staying at to receive it.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 12-04-22, 08:08 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
saltiest?
Not so good for the blood pressure but they are quite tasty
Old 12-04-22, 08:43 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by dsilvers
Not more ppl with actual experience.

Airport is prohibitively far for me (given busy schedule) to get there and do a test run. I cancelled the JB flight and instead booked on the ****tiest airline in the world - Frontier - and they gladly took my oversized case without a problem. I still have other JB flights booked so would still love to get an answer before I accumulate more credits I’m not likely to use.
I'd then take the time to attempt a written correspondence with JetBlue, highlighting that their current size restriction on bike shippers is too small for almost everyone's typical packaging, differs markedly from every other airline, and ask if there is any means whatsoever to actually travel with a bicycle on their airline.
Old 12-04-22, 06:29 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'd then take the time to attempt a written correspondence with JetBlue, highlighting that their current size restriction on bike shippers is too small for almost everyone's typical packaging, differs markedly from every other airline, and ask if there is any means whatsoever to actually travel with a bicycle on their airline.
This is a good idea for the future. If you can find the dept that sets the limits; a manager or executive, better yet.

You might want to state that prior to bothering them with this question, you asked for advice on a bicycle forum. It is always nice to infer, but not in so many words, that an unknown number of interested people will hear the official reply.

John
Old 12-04-22, 06:41 PM
tomato coupe

I'm confused. This is from the JetBlue website:

Large sports gear with a handling fee
Big activities on the itinerary? Bikes, surfboards, and kiteboarding and windsurfing equipment will be accepted on domestic and international flights and count as a checked bag. They’re subject to a per-item fee of $100/£80 each way, in addition to any checked bag fee associated with the fare purchased.
Old 12-04-22, 07:22 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I'm confused. This is from the JetBlue website:
Bicycles Bicycles should be in a hard-sided, padded case designed for bicycles.
  • If not in a hard-sided case, bicycles will be accepted with the handlebars secured sideways and pedals removed. The bike must also be encased in plastic foam, a cardboard box (domestic flights only), or similar material to prevent damage.
  • The maximum size for a bicycle case is 80 inches in overall dimension (length + width + height). If bicycle and container are less than 62 dimensional inches and under 50 pounds, the bike fee will not be assessed.
  • Bicycle cases should contain bicycles only. Cases containing additional items may be subject to excess bag fees.

This is what I see. (Emphasis added.)

Last edited by indyfabz; 12-04-22 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-04-22, 07:33 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Bicycles Bicycles should be in a hard-sided, padded case designed for bicycles.
  • If not in a hard-sided case, bicycles will be accepted with the handlebars secured sideways and pedals removed. The bike must also be encased in plastic foam, a cardboard box (domestic flights only), or similar material to prevent damage.
  • The maximum size for a bicycle case is 80 inches in overall dimension (length + width + height). If bicycle and container are less than 62 dimensional inches and under 50 pounds, the bike fee will not be assessed.
  • Bicycle cases should contain bicycles only. Cases containing additional items may be subject to excess bag fees.
This is what I see. (Emphasis added.)
That seems to imply that 80" is the limit for hard cases, but they'll accept bikes in soft cases or cardboard boxes as long as the handlebars and pedals are dealt with properly?