Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Blasphemy?

Old 12-24-11, 07:03 PM
mapleleafs-13 

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto, Pinarello Montello, Bianchi Celeste

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i know you were coming to the dark side sooner or later

Old 12-24-11, 07:15 PM
shnibop 

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 22 Posts
Nice, i'm glad you started this thread. i've been waiting to see better pics of the Davidson for a while!

the whole fork crown arrangement is really beautiful! not to mention the color is really something.

i'm happy i'll have the honor of saying i've had a part (no pun intended) in the completed build. the drillium you did for me was well worth the trade!

keep the updates coming! don't do like me haha
Old 12-24-11, 07:45 PM
mazdaspeed

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
This bandwagon is really gaining momentum! I was working on installing my new 10sp veloce on the colnago today.
Old 12-24-11, 08:59 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Obsessive-compulsion challenge - are you as far gone as me?

Since I tore the Ergos down to clean up the scrapes/scratches on the exposed tops (where the hood doesn't cover) of the bodies, I took a critical look at the body castings. I decided they needed some work:

The levers, too, have some cosmetic issues - made more difficult to rectify by the QR buttons but they should clean up nicely. Too bad I'm going to lose the Shield logos, though

Anyhow, I'm off for the mountains and a friend's cabin mid-morning tomorrow; they're going skiing - I'll be stoking the fireplace and working on these while enjoying a few Strongbows I should be able to reassemble these early next week and then set them aside until it's time to build up the frame.

BTW, does anybody know what "50-AS" means in regard the big ring on my crankset? I mean, I know what the 50 means, but not the "AS" designator. Interesting, too, that there are no ramped teeth nor pins on the rings, but the arms are obviously a newer design that I think would've had those features on the rings. Did 8-speed have pins/ramps on the rings?

So, last update for a few days. Again, thanks for all the nice comments - particularly those that have assured me I'm not headed for pitchforks, fire and brimstone.

Happy Holidays everyone!

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 12-24-11 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-26-11, 04:46 PM
pamaguahiker 

Bikes: 2014 VeloOrange Campeur. late 90s Bianchi Cyclocross cro-mo frameset modified to touring, 1993 Bianchi Project 5, 80s Holdsworth Gemini Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
But they are expensive and I hope
to god I can figure out how to fix them when and if
the time comes.........
That's why i keep a set of friction bar ends lying around...just in case!
Old 12-26-11, 09:23 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
DD working his magic on Ergo levers? I've got to see this.

-Kurt

Old 12-26-11, 11:50 PM
Kanegon

Bikes: Topstone, Chisel, 930, Facet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
RE: The levers, too, have some cosmetic issues - made more difficult to rectify by the QR buttons but they should clean up nicely. Too bad I'm going to lose the Shield logos, though

With fine instruments, a little "relic-ing" is not only acceptable, but adds to the value -- unless it's being passed off as an NOS closet queen, of course. You'd never restore at the expense of sacrificing the original stamping and other authentic details. You can lose the road rash without destroying the mark, couldn't you?
Old 12-27-11, 01:21 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

^ Unfortunately, I cannot avoid losing the logo. It's silk-screened on vice the later models which had engraved logos.

The problem is that once one removes some of the anodizing (in the case of the scraped areas), those areas stick out like sore thumbs. I finish file, sand and the finally brass wool the cleaned-up areas before applying polishing compound. Since these were covered in that typical pearl anodizing Campy uses, the two areas end up looking totally different (cleaned-up areas mega-shiny, original finish more muted). I prefer losing the logo and having a uniform finish to a mottled look. The logos were partly gone anyhow.

I finished up the cleanup on the lever bodies over the holidays - still have to finish the levers, though. I was slacking - the Strongbows slowed down my progress dramatically

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 12-29-11 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-27-11, 01:26 AM
mapleleafs-13 

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto, Pinarello Montello, Bianchi Celeste

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
u should drill some holes in these levers anyways since you have them taken apart.

I think it'd be pretty cool, how many people can say they have drillium'd brifters.

you'll definitely go faster cause of less weight and speed holes for aerodynamics
Old 12-27-11, 01:33 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Honestly, I want to stay away from drilling the levers. For one, I love the early levers - these are the solid alloy levers as opposed to the later, bent-sheet method (a la Nuovo and Super Record). Personally, I like the feel of these; nice and solid. The bodies already had the coating removed, so I don't feel so bad cleaning them up and polishing them - same with the scuffed levers - but drilling? Nah...

I am going to drill the rings - and a couple more parts; fairly small highlight stuff, really. But that's secret until they're complete. Rest assured they will be sure to polarize the masses

DD
Old 12-27-11, 01:41 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Drill them, chrome the lever bodies, and add a bit of pantographing for good measure

-Kurt

Old 12-27-11, 01:56 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Ha ha ha - yeah, and maybe I can get Robbie Fellows to custom-tailor some translucent Ergo hoods to show the bodies off!

Actually, I don't know how to remove the two sets of pressed-in sealed bearings, so I don't think chroming is in order. Damn fine idea, though.

DD
Old 12-27-11, 05:36 AM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I may be able to help with those Metal Campy shifter boss adjusters. Do you need some like these?

Old 12-27-11, 02:46 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

^ Thanks for the generous offer Michael - Robbie has stepped forward and hooked me up with a pair already

However, I'm still looking for a few other items on my list - either will pay cash or trade the Nuovo/Super Record parts that came off the donor bike.

DD
Old 12-27-11, 03:02 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

For those of you that may be interested in trading new for old, here's a list of stuff that is going to be traded/sold: Everything is now sold - thanks everyone!

Campy Super Record crankset, 170mm, Super Record outer ring, Nuovo Record inner ring:

Campy Super Record braze-on front derailleur, very good condition:

Campy Super Record one-bolt seatpost, 27.2mm, fluted:

Campy Super Record brake calipers with later model allen-key attached brake pads: SOLD!

Please PM me if you are interested one way or another - thanks

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 01-09-12 at 03:46 AM.
Old 12-27-11, 03:24 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I don't want the parts, I want the whole stinking bike. I'll even take it as is... I've got a sweet kickback hub that'll be an excellent complement to that bike! Besides, my Davidson Tandem would love another Davidson as a stable mate.
Old 12-28-11, 12:43 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

^ Ha ha - I could just see this with a kickback hub, chainguard, mattress saddle and upright bars. Stylin'

I'm at an impasse right now with the Ergos. Bodies cleaned/shined up great, but when I stripped the shift levers they appeared to have an awful thick application of anodizing. Therefore, once the anodizing was finally all gone, I got some pitting. So I have to go over pretty much every inch of the shift levers to take out pitting and file off the remaining anodizing from the brake levers - yeah, I pulled those before they went the same way.

Oh, and I noticed something today: the shift levers are two different sizes. I figure the guy who sold them must've mixed them up with another pair, but I also wonder if anyone knows: did Campy use two different size shifters on matched pairs of levers? Or were they small on the early levers and subsequent Ergos went to larger ones, thus supporting my theory of an assembly error by the seller?

I wonder if this setup will cause difficulty with shifting. Hmmm...

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 01-09-12 at 03:47 AM.
Old 12-28-11, 01:44 AM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please let me know when you decide on a price for that Flite saddle.
Old 12-29-11, 09:34 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Bump - updated with current photos of trade/sale parts removed from the Davidson in its original guise. Parts are now listed in the For Sale or Trade thread. Prices negotiable.

Thanks to RobbieTunes for the Campy cable adjuster stops I received in the mail today!

And I'm still down for trades, although it looks as though I've scored a seatpost worthy of the new build

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 12-30-11 at 01:29 AM.
Old 12-30-11, 02:31 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Okay, the Ergopower lever bodies are finally done:

Note all of the casting/mold lines have been removed (for appearance's sake and to allow better hood fitment):

The acid-test:

Verdict: Sacha-approved

Parts collection seems to be gaining momentum; I have a line on a Record Ti seatpost, Chorus BB, front derailleur and hub skewers from a couple BF members that have contacted me in the past two days. If these all go through, I will be left only with locating an Ergo cable set - and they seem reasonably-priced on Ebay so I'll probably go that route to get them.

I am having my LBS install the headset and should get the frame back today (no headset press in my Box 'o Tools).

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 01-28-22 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-30-11, 03:46 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 646 Posts
Looks like this project is coming together pretty quick. Those lever bodies look mighty impressive. Too bad there isn't a clear hood to be had for those. It's a shame to cover up your handiwork.

Nice work, DD(no surprises there)
Old 12-30-11, 04:23 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
With your color of frame, the black Ergo cable set would look fine.

I may PM you when my lever bodies are ready for that treatment.
Not sure I have the nerve for all that....
Old 12-30-11, 04:39 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

^ I'm thinking black, too.

As for the lever bodies, I'd have been loathe to try it, too - but they arrived with all that black powdercoat stuff removed already. The hard part was done for me.

Personally, I wonder how the heck one would remove the stuff. I just stepped up the finish on the already-stripped bodies.

The real test will be to see if I can rehab RogerM's lever bodies; I have to clean up some scraping and then duplicate the black powdercoat. I think I have a good plan that I will share if it all works out

DD
Old 12-30-11, 06:50 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
^ I'm thinking black, too.

As for the lever bodies, I'd have been loathe to try it, too - but they arrived with all that black powdercoat stuff removed already. The hard part was done for me.

Personally, I wonder how the heck one would remove the stuff. I just stepped up the finish on the already-stripped bodies.

The real test will be to see if I can rehab RogerM's lever bodies; I have to clean up some scraping and then duplicate the black powdercoat. I think I have a good plan that I will share if it all works out

DD
I think I'm going to sand like crazy, then use flat black engine paint.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 12-30-11 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-30-11, 08:42 PM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Love the polished lever bodies! Can't wait to see the levers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.