Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain length for dummies

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chain length for dummies

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-22, 08:18 AM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
I have a favorites folder dedicated to cycling info and one of my favorite entries is a BF post with video on threading the cable to its' anchor on the Shimano FD-8000 - but for chain length I rely on Keith who has way more know how and experience than I - a few months back I felt that my shifting could be smoother and played around with cable tension , etc. but still fell short - dropped the bike off with Keith and when I picked it up there were 2 chain links attached by twist tie to the aero bar - should ask Keith what method he uses but if I were to pick a method I think it would be the one favored by Sheldon Brown .
Old 07-24-22, 09:09 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by mitchmellow62
I'm curious if anyone has compared the different methods to see if the result differs?

Suddenly I can hardly wait for the next chain to stretch beyond spec!!! So far I think we have the following methods:
1. Match the number of links/full links/half links/rivets (whatever your nomenclature) of the old chain, which may have been sized by one of the following.
I use this method often. If all you are changing is the chain, this is the best way to go. It doesn’t work if you change gearing, however.

2. Big-big plus two links/two half links/one full link/one inch/two rivets (again, whatever your nomenclature) with chain NOT routed through rear derailleur.
If I don’t have the chain…a frequent occurrence when referbing bikes…or if I’ve changed gearing, this method is the way to go. It’s quick and easy to use and, perhaps more importantly, easy to remember. Nomenclature and miss understandings can cloud the water a bit but if you have a picture (see above), it’s relatively easy to understand.

3. Small-small, chain routed through derailleurs, with enough tension on derailleur cage to take it off its maximum take up.
This can work within certain ranges. However, there are pitfalls with this method. For example, I have used triples with 48, 46, and 44 outer rings with a 20 tooth inner ring on some of my triples which are mated to a 36 tool low gear on the cassette. Small/small with just enough tension so that the chain isn’t rubbing on itself will result in chain that is too short, especially for ring larger than 44 teeth. In the case of the 48 tooth ring, the chain can be too short in the second gear on the cassette.

One caveat: The large/large method with the 46 and 48 tooth can result in a slack chain for the small/small combination.

4. Big chainring-small cassette cog, chain routed through derailleurs, rear derailleur cage pulled to vertical position.
It can work but can result in slack chains in the small/small combination or in too short a chain if you have the rear derailer at the wrong angle. You also have to hold the chain in place, hold tension on the derailer, gauge the angle of the derailer, and then mark the chain where you need to cut it. If you were an octopus it would easier.

5. Mathematical formula which I'm too lazy to recite and is my least favorite right now. So concrete. Where's the art?
Frankly, I didn’t even know there was a mathematical formula until just recently. I’ve never counted links in my life. It’s just not worth the effort to calculating the chain length when a simple, reliable method is available.

I believe the caveat for at least some of these methods is that the largest cassette cog cannot be more than 36? And of course I have a number of RD manuals to read to see if Shimano has been consistent in their methods. I'm totally Shimano except for a couple of old Suntours. I wonder if they had manuals?
The only caveat that I can find is for 1x systems. I don’t have experience with those but from what I can find it looks like the chain is sized using 4 rivets (2”) instead of one. SRAM’s chain instruction show this but they say nothing about cassette size. For a triple using a large rear cog, I would start with the big/big method and either shorten the chain while avoiding using the big/big combination or just live with a slack small/small combination and avoid using it. Neither combination should be used anyway.

By the way, SRAM’s rear derailer manual provides the same advice as their chain manual does for sizing the chain.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-24-22, 09:39 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Chain sizing isn't in the derailleur manuals? Then what's this? I especially like that part that is titled "Chain Length."

Dura Ace Rear Derailleur Manual
Okay, perhaps I was wrong. But the illustrations in that 24 year old manual is kind of simple and not terribly informative. It doesn’t say that the Dura Ace needs a different chain length sizing method from other derailers. Here’s what Shimano says now and, yes, it’s in their derailer dealer’s manual. Oh, look, it’s the big/big with added links. The method suggested in a 24 year old manual would likely result in the same length as the big/big + 2 rivet method.

The CN-7700 instructions don't address chain length. That's what the RD-7700 manual linked above is for. Nowhere in that manual is there any mention big/big plus 2 rivets.
Okay. Shimano doesn’t address chain length in their chain manual. But SRAM does. So does KMC. That covers a very large part of the market. And, again, Shimano’s method uses the same large/large + links method. They use 4 rivets but that’s just details and doesn’t change the basic method.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-24-22, 08:10 PM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
Cyccommute: I looked up the manual for the XTR M972 and shimano recommended the big-big plus 2 back then: https://si.shimano.com/en/pdfs/si/5W...0B-001-ENG.pdf . But that was for mountain bikes. Shimano still recommends the big-small with derailleur cage vertical for newer road derailleurs up to certain max cog sizes (27 for double; 30 for triple): https://si.shimano.com/en/pdfs/dm/RD...003-09-ENG.pdf .
Likes For mitchmellow62:
Old 07-24-22, 08:31 PM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
I should have added: Leave it to Shimano to add a little complexity.
Old 07-25-22, 10:16 PM
theapodan

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Here are the criteria I start with:
A. The chain must be long enough for big/big with rear derailleur capacity to spare.
B. The chain should be short enough to maintain acceptable slop in small/small.

There may be multiple workable chain lengths that meet the two criteria above, depending on your combination of frame, rear derailleur, chainrings, and cogs. A longer chain weighs more, insignificantly extends drivetrain lifespan, and may enable swapping in a larger cog or chainring. A shorter chain weighs less, insignificantly reduces drivetrain lifespan, and may enable swapping in a smaller cog or chainring.

There are drivetrain configurations where the shortest possible chain for criteria A above will still be too long for criteria B. Avoid small/small selections in that case or revisit drivetrain component selection.

Last week I installed a new 12-36 cassette and new chain on my size 57 Jamis aurora touring bike with 26-36-48 crankset and mountain long cage derailleur. I installed the chain full length routed though the derailleur normally, carefully confirmed it worked in big/big, then checked for acceptable slop in small/small. It met both criteria so I left it uncut. 114 links.

Last time I sized a chain I used the big/big+2rivets park/sheldon method, and maybe if I was a bike mechanic in a hurry that's what I'd do, but since I have the time to screw around, I like my iterative approach.