Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bearing removal - Mavic Ksyrium Elite rear hub

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bearing removal - Mavic Ksyrium Elite rear hub

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-22, 09:11 AM
afm199

Bikes: Trek Madone, 2012, Trek Kronos CX Ultimate, 2012

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
Short story, Mavic made ****** hubs and that's why they went out of business. When that plastic bushing wears, it allows the body to flex slightly and pressure the aluminum hub post that the bush rides on, and that snaps. I have a perfectly good set of Mavic Ksyriums hanging from my garage ceiling with a snapped hub. It's happened to many owners. I will never own another set.
Likes For afm199:
Old 08-29-22, 09:34 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,583 Times in 1,221 Posts
Maybe I can ask here. I have an upgrade FTSL carrier that needs the adapter/spacer. This uses a bearing instead of the nylon bushing. When sold, it comes with both washers for different versions. I need this one if you have one laying around...

https://www.bike24.com/p2178343.html
Old 08-31-22, 10:47 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,583 Times in 1,221 Posts
This. Showed up in my YouTube suggestions...

Old 08-31-22, 11:15 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by Werkin
According to Mavic, as stated by Lennard Zinn, "The bushing on the inboard interior end of the freehub body...is actually far superior to a bearing...it can withstand almost a ton of load without distorting, whereas a bearing can be damaged with a 300 kg load applied to it. It’s 40 grams lighter than a bearing, and when freewheeling, there is no load on the bushing and hence no friction..."
This. I've serviced dozens of different types of hubs, and for 20 years I was skeptical of the Mavic rear hub design. A couple of years ago, some sets of Mavic wheels essentially dropped in my lap for nothing, and I started riding them due to their 11-speed cassette compatibility. Yes, the freehub bushings were 'dry' and they did squeal a little on fast descents. But 10 minutes worth of servicing, including a clean of the pawls and a few drops light oil on the freehub bushing, and they've been trouble-free since. I am now a convert.

The rear hub, with decent-sized cartridge bearings at each of ends, is a solid design. The design definitely makes for a lightweight hub. If you are fussed about the plastic-type freehub bushing, as noted by others, it is easily replaced. At my local Co-op we've received several Mavic rear wheels whose rims were mangled in what must have epic crashes. So I have an ongoing supply of spare Mavic freehubs.