Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

10 speed shifting issues

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

10 speed shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-22, 08:56 AM
Rotten

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1986 Schwinn Passage, 1987 Shogun Katana, 2018 Giant Anyroad Advanced, 2013 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 93 Posts
10 speed shifting issues

I have a set of Microshift R10 short reach brifters I wanted to use on the wifes bike but ran into some issues and went a different way on her bike but I'd like to figure out the issue so maybe I can use them on a different build in the future.

The group consisted of the R10 short reach brifters, Tiagra 4700 medium cage RD, Tiagra 4700 FD, Shimano 48/34 crankset, Shimano CS-HG500-10 11-34 casette. Also a brand new Sram 10 speed chain.

The issue - i was able to get the shifting dialed in per the Shimano guidance on the second and third cog up from smallest but when I got to the 5th/6th cog the shifting was off and not down shifting or up shifting at all and when it did it was rough. So I made small adjustments and was able to dial in the mid casette shifting. Ok problem solved... nope. Shifted back to the small end and the 2nd and 3rd cog shifting were crap. Thought i might have over adjusted so took care to dial it back in with smaller adjustments and went back to the middle and it wasn't working right again.

Anyway I worked on it back and forth for an hour or so before giving up and switching groupset and boxing up the 10 speed stuff. I got the shifter casette and RD out and gave them a close inspection and cannot find anything amiss.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated as I want to use this setup in the future.

Last edited by Rotten; 09-14-22 at 08:57 AM. Reason: add info
Old 09-14-22, 09:02 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
They're shifters. And the 4700 uses the same cable pull as 11 speed shifters so they won't work with your Microshift shifters as they work w/ the same pull ratio as 10 speed. 4700 is unique in this.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-14-22, 09:11 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
+1 Tiagra 4700 derailleurs won't work with your shifters. Older Tiagra 4600 derailleurs would work however. You either need the matching shifters or different derailleurs
Likes For alcjphil: