Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Another spoke broke

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Another spoke broke

Old 09-27-22, 09:19 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,901 Times in 2,538 Posts
Check to make sure the bead line (the molding line on the tire sidewall you can just see over the rim) is running parallel to the rim throughout the wheel's circle. If it isn't. deflate, work the sidewalls with your hands, inflate partially, check and inflate from there if the line is now parallel. Hitting the brake is not OK. The tire will stretch with time and the contact will only get worse, wearing both the tire and the brake.

I think wider rim means more tire height so you may need to go down a size or swap to a brand/model that is slightly smaller.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 09-27-22, 09:49 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Check to make sure the bead line (the molding line on the tire sidewall you can just see over the rim) is running parallel to the rim throughout the wheel's circle. If it isn't. deflate, work the sidewalls with your hands, inflate partially, check and inflate from there if the line is now parallel. Hitting the brake is not OK. The tire will stretch with time and the contact will only get worse, wearing both the tire and the brake.

I think wider rim means more tire height so you may need to go down a size or swap to a brand/model that is slightly smaller.
i would have thought wider tires meant less height.
I will deflate like you said. The tire isn’t exactly hitting but it is touching/slightly rubbing.
Old 09-27-22, 09:58 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,395 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly

There is one spot on the tire about an inch long that lightly touches one of the brake arms. It’s almost like the tire has a high spot.
Tires have a molded "reference line", which sits a millimeter or two above the rim.

Spin the wheel slowly, watching the line. If it moves away from the rim in one section, the tire isn't seated properly.

If so, let air out IMMEDIATELY to prevent a possible blowout.
Old 09-27-22, 10:23 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,395 Posts
i would have thought wider tires meant less height....
So, how did you do in Geometry?

Tires inflate round. The circumference comprises both the tire itself and the rim.

A wider rim means a larger circumference, and therefore a larger radius. So your tire is both wider and taller.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-28-22, 02:14 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
While it’s not common in most circles, it depends. Until the tire is leaving tangent to the rim increased width means wider. After that it means narrower. Yes, with hooked rims the tire does stay on. Not common on typical bicycles, but occasionally seen on fat tire bikes. Also used to be common on supermileage/eco marathon vehicles which used 20” rims.
Old 09-28-22, 12:32 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
It will be a Shimano 105 hub and a Sun RhynoLite rim plus whatever spokes he thinks is best for me.
I have a gravel wheelset in that combination, with straight-gauge DT spokes. It won't win any weight contests, but it's been problem-free for years.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 10-03-22, 04:06 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I took the bike to the bike shop. He said it was a weird problem and suggested the tire might be bad. He replaced both tires and no rubbing now.
Old 10-04-22, 11:10 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I finally had a chance to ride. The new tires are good so far but being narrower than the old tires the ride is a little harsher on some rough asphalt. One stretch of road is almost like chip seal.
On the plus side I got home with the same number of spokes I started with.

Last edited by pepperbelly; 10-04-22 at 05:12 PM.
Likes For pepperbelly: