Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hub bearings and rain

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Hub bearings and rain

Old 11-30-22, 02:39 PM
utoner34

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Hub bearings and rain

I have one wheel with a standard hub with cone bearings (that came with my Cube Nuroad bike), in good shape (in a sense it doesnt have play), and I open the hub ocasionally, clean everything and regrease (I use lithium grease) and the wheel is fine in the dry , however after the ride in rain, you get this grinding noise from the wheel (when you turn it stationary and listen).

1. do I use the wrong grease (lithium) so the water penetrates?

btw, I looked at the rubber rings on each side of the hub and they should definitely be replaced.

2. do hubs with cartridge bearings withstand water from penetrating better than cone bearings?
Old 11-30-22, 02:49 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Trailer hub bearing grease will stay put pretty darn well in the rain. When I was commuting I repacked the bearings annually, whether they needed it or not, and (just guessing) probably had 30-50 rain rides on them every year.

Shimano LX rubber seals are surprisingly good at keeping the bearings dry in any cloudburst I ever rode through, FWIW. Can't say anything about "cone bearing" hubs in general.
Old 11-30-22, 03:22 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,358 Times in 2,034 Posts
1. - https://www.google.com/search?q=mari...hrome&ie=UTF-8

2. - Depends on the seals in the bearings, but in general, yes.
Old 11-30-22, 03:31 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,343 Posts
I have more rain miles than most (10,000+) including downpours and occasional floods.

All my hubs are traditional cup/cone design, greased with white lithium grease, at roughly 5,000 mile intevals. I've yet to experience a single premature bearing issue owing to rust.

The grinding you hear might be grit in the gaps between the moving parts. Even if some grit does penetrate deeper the rolling action will move it of the track where it remains trapped by the grease. (Think of the dirt lines at the ends of windshield wiper strokes).

So I add the OP's concerns to my very long list of things to not obsess over.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-01-22, 09:19 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
The cone and/or bearings might already has very small pits on them causing the grinding sound. It’s happened to me before…that grinding sound. I’d swore they were still good. But, I had to thoroughly clean, and closely inspect them with a strong magnifying glass to see the small pits. Installed new and the problem was solved.
Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 12-01-22, 11:22 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
OP: If you are regularly opening the hubs anyway, you should be replacing the bearings (use grade 25 bearings in the appropriate sizes) and use high-quality grease. If you ride in the rain a lot, use marine grease. I pack my hubs with LOTS of grease, and let the excess ooze out through the seals. More grease = less room for anything else to get in there.

Also, are you really cleaning everything thoroughly, using degreaser or at least isopropyl alcohol?

And yeah, replace those seals.

If you don't like the maintenance, then yes, cartridge bearings can basically be run maintenance-free until they get rough, which will take a long time. But it's probably not worth buying a new wheelset, in my opinion.
Old 12-01-22, 12:52 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 272 Posts
Water can get into hubs, and yes, it is a very bad thing, particularly if left for days or beyond. Best way for water to get in: using a pressure washer to clean your bike, or driving on the highway in the rain with the bike on a rack. Both methods are guaranteed to kill every bearing on the bike.

Sealing: both cartridge bearings or cup and cone hubs can we well or poorly sealed. The single rubber air dam in your standard cartridge bearing is wholly inadequate to protect against water and the outside world. In contrast, mid-range and above Shimano hubs with cup and cone design are very well sealed, in fact better than any of the other of dozens of different hubs that I own and ride. My old Shimano LX hubs from the mid-90's are remarkable survivors, and have outlasted innumerable epic mud-fest trips and total water immersions. Excellent seals.

Best wet-weather hubs ever: Campagnolo Record old-school road hubs with no seals but with grease ports. Get caught out in the rain? A couple of minutes with a grease injector flushes out the old waterlogged grease and they are good as new.

Grease: a vastly overthought topic, particularly for low-demand applications such as bicycles. Low stresses, low temperatures and low RPMs. I use whatever petroleum-based grease I can scoop at yard sales for $1 a tub, and will then fit to my grease injector.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 12-01-22, 02:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
You just get a grinding noise. Or do you also feel it grinding when you turn it by hand? If you only hear it, then it might be the water and grease along with some air attempting to mix together and the air giving a popping sound as it burst out of the other two unfriendly substances.
Old 12-01-22, 02:52 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
...The grinding you hear might be grit in the gaps between the moving parts. Even if some grit does penetrate deeper the rolling action will move it of the track where it remains trapped by the grease. (Think of the dirt lines at the ends of windshield wiper strokes). So I add the OP's concerns to my very long list of things to not obsess over.
Yep... I was pretty surprised when I re-greased a UO-8 that I had been ridding in Galveston. I had occasionally ridden through deep clear water when it rained. After a year I pulled everything apart as I saw sand collections around the rim of the hubs. It looked very much like salt granules and may have been. After taking the hubs apart I was totally surprised at the amount of sand and grit just outside of the bearings. Yet I did not experience any change in sound or friction....

By the way, I use Marine Grease on everything, not that I really need it...
Old 12-01-22, 03:52 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,270 Posts
Well made cup and cone units with periodic maintenance do work well. I ran Campy NR hubs for years, overhauling 2 or 3 times a season motivated by rain/conditions ridden. I replaced a very few cones (I had a few bikes each year to spread the miles over), replaced the balls when they looked old, bent/broke a few axles (not the bearing design's fault) but never had a shell cup need replacing (a job I've done a few times for work).

It is that last bit that ls a basic difference. One replaces both the "cup" and the "cone" when replacing a cartridge bearing. But nearly no cup and cone hubs have replacement cups possible.

One can talk about which example of what design had this or that outcome for their riding all they want but the above difference remains as a real one and not some anecdote. Andy (who moved onto cartridge bears to not feel bad about not bothering to service them as often)
Old 12-01-22, 06:59 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Water can get into hubs, and yes, it is a very bad thing, particularly if left for days or beyond. Best way for water to get in: using a pressure washer to clean your bike, or driving on the highway in the rain with the bike on a rack. Both methods are guaranteed to kill every bearing on the bike.
Far too much to do is made about water infiltration of hubs. It’s not nearly as bad as most people make it out to be, especially with modern (post about 1995) designs. First grease doesn’t mix well with water. It is hydrophobic and does a damn fine job of keeping water out. Seals…even on cup and cone hubs…have drastically improved from the bad old days when the “seal” was against dust and fit poorly. The rubber seals on most wheels will keep out water even if you clean with a pressure washer.

Sealing: both cartridge bearings or cup and cone hubs can we well or poorly sealed. The single rubber air dam in your standard cartridge bearing is wholly inadequate to protect against water and the outside world. In contrast, mid-range and above Shimano hubs with cup and cone design are very well sealed, in fact better than any of the other of dozens of different hubs that I own and ride. My old Shimano LX hubs from the mid-90's are remarkable survivors, and have outlasted innumerable epic mud-fest trips and total water immersions. Excellent seals.
Ah, the old “my cup and cone bearings are better than those substandard cartridge bearing hubs” myth. The “single rubber air dam on your standard cartridge bearings” isn’t just a rubber air dam. These are bearings that are designed for far greater stresses and service duties than cup and cone could ever endure. The bearings used in bicycle hubs are standard bearings that are usually designed for automotive loads and automotive speeds. They last tens of thousands of miles in automobiles and will last a whole lot longer than in a light duty application like bicycles.

Additionally, you are comparing cheese to chalk. Generally a cartridge bearing is meant to be used until it doesn’t work anymore. You can do a little maintenance on them but, for the most part, they are meant to be replaced other than repaired. Replacement is relatively simple and causes no damage to the hub. Damaged cups…although rare…aren’t as easily replaced. And cones are much more susceptible to damage and more frequent replacement as well as having a greater need for periodic maintenance.

​​​​​​​Best wet-weather hubs ever: Campagnolo Record old-school road hubs with no seals but with grease ports. Get caught out in the rain? A couple of minutes with a grease injector flushes out the old waterlogged grease and they are good as new.
Maybe but cartridge bearings with they “single rubber air dam” seal stands up very well to water without any need for maintenance. Got several of them that have gone for tens of thousands of miles without having had to do anything to them at all.

​​​​​​​Grease: a vastly overthought topic, particularly for low-demand applications such as bicycles. Low stresses, low temperatures and low RPMs. I use whatever petroleum-based grease I can scoop at yard sales for $1 a tub, and will then fit to my grease injector.
I can agree with your sentiment but for different reasons. Not one of my bikes (13 mine and 4 my wife’s) has a loose bearing anywhere on the frames. The last tube of grease I bought was more than 4 years ago and it replaced a tube of grease from 20 years before that. I don’t use grease for anything other than threads. I figure I got 16 more years before I need another tube of grease. And I expect to be riding the same hubs, headsets, and bottom brackets when that tube runs out.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-02-22, 04:10 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
If you have serviced and inspected it and it isn't noticeable when you ride the bike I would say it is fine.
Everything wears out. Keep serviceing it and wait till it is properly worn or noticeable and then replace it. You will know when and get plenty of warning.
Hubs are simple. They last a long time.
Replacing barely worn parts for some attempt at perfection is silly.
Old 12-03-22, 04:56 AM
hevysrf

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts
1. Mercury T-4-C grease.

2. My former experience in industrial electric motor repair suggests a quality sealed cartridge bearing will last longer under severe conditions. Sturmey archer HBT30 for the front.
Old 12-04-22, 11:12 AM
utoner34

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
You just get a grinding noise. Or do you also feel it grinding when you turn it by hand? If you only hear it, then it might be the water and grease along with some air attempting to mix together and the air giving a popping sound as it burst out of the other two unfriendly substances.
Hard to say now, the sound was only present immediatelly after the ride, not more the day after.

Next time I will check immediately.

I though it could be that the sand also gets in the axle? (I have through axle)