Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

2022 Surly Straggler chain length

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-22, 12:26 PM
sbslider

Bikes: 2011 Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I bought a Surly Straggler back in April, and it seemed time to replace the chain based on 2900 miles of riding. I bought the spec chain, CNP1110, which is 114 links. I removed the old chain, and it was good news bad news. Good news is the stock chain is still in really good shape based on comparing it to the chain I bought. Bad news is the 114 link chain is too short. The stock chain is 116 links, but in a bit of looking around I'm not finding any 116 link chains. I've shortened chains for years, but was hoping I could avoid that with the Straggler.

What chain do you use? I still have stock 42t chainring up front and 11-42t in the back.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...Fla1JkRldZNUln

I took a picture of the rear derailleur with the drive train at 42t front and 42t rear and the as purchased chain. It looks pretty maxed out, but works just fine. I removed the original chain. I layed the original chain next to the new chain, package is marked with the part number. I counted links. My original chain, which barely fits (but works just fine) has 116 links.

It's hard to believe I'm the only Straggler rider who has discovered this, or the folks who built my bike did something weird . . . .
Old 12-04-22, 12:33 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
What is the make and model of the OEM chain? Amazon claims this 11-speed Dura Ace chain has 116 links: https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-CN-HG...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Also, have you tried wrapping the 114 link chain around the chainring and largest cog and does it go with a bit of slack?
Old 12-04-22, 12:54 PM
sbslider

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
What is the make and model of the OEM chain?
According to the surly website, the chain is PN CNP1110. If you search that part number you get SRAM PC1110. The bike is set up with SRAM components, but I'd guess the Shimano chain you linked to would work.

Originally Posted by HillRider
Also, have you tried wrapping the 114 link chain around the chainring and largest cog and does it go with a bit of slack?
I can't get the 114 link chain on the largest cog. It's too short. The 116 link chain is pictured in the google photos link in the OP.
Old 12-04-22, 01:03 PM
sbslider

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Further inspection of the chains:
Stock chain has 116 links and 3 markings stamped on it. SRAM PC1110 A1
New chain has 114 links and 3 markings stamped on it. SRAM PC1110 F1

According to the SRAM website, the A1 is a 114 link chain. My chain marked A1 is 116 links.

I just don't get it.

Last edited by sbslider; 12-04-22 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-04-22, 01:27 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
The simple solution is to add links. Yes, harder and more expensive (initially) than back in the old days but those days are long gone. Buy another chain, an appropriate chain breaker and a few quick links. Break that new chain to get an inside portion of a link, then quick link it to each end of your 114 link chain. You now have a 116 link chain. (In a few years, the chain suppliers will get with it and supply chains long enough for cassettes no one dreamed of a few years ago, but in the mean time ...)

Now you can properly replace chains for a long time and have lots of links to add. When you buy new chains, get a quick link as well so all is new each change.. (Yes, your old will work just fine and you'll forget about it, but if ti becomes that infamous "weak link", well chains breaking can be very painful and associated with broken teeth, collarbones ...)

Oh, that fancy pliers-like tool Park and others make to squeeze links together to add or remove quick links is not necessary but is a real blessing.

Or, buy your chain from a bike shop and have them add the needed links. They've got rolls of chain to get that link so no waste. And edit: They probably made up the chain from a roll at the factory or simply asked the chain manufacturer to supply them with a 1000 116 link chains.
Old 12-04-22, 01:42 PM
sbslider

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Hmm, I guess the first time I tried to install the 114 link chain I must have goofed up something. I tried again today, and it DOES fit and is perfectly functional.

I still don't understand the chain marking, but that's a mystery for another day I suspect.

re: adding links, thanks for taking the time to respond, but seems unnecessary now.
Old 12-04-22, 03:32 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,420 Posts
Bad news.

Your 42/42 gear combination is above average for total tooth count. If you have longish chainstays, that compounds the problem.

Unfortunately chains are usually supplied with 114 links because that was historically more than enough for the vast majority.

I suspect that it'll be a while before chain makers realize that a greater number of bikes need more chain.

Until then, you'll have to buy and splice 2 chains.

BTW if you have a working relationship with s local shop, they may also have dealt with this and might have remnants to sell vs a whole chain.
Old 12-04-22, 03:47 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
Originally Posted by sbslider
Hmm, I guess the first time I tried to install the 114 link chain I must have goofed up something. I tried again today, and it DOES fit and is perfectly functional.

I still don't understand the chain marking, but that's a mystery for another day I suspect.

re: adding links, thanks for taking the time to respond, but seems unnecessary now.
This is how I do a quick check to see if the "current" chain is sized correctly. It helps keep the hands cleaner when dealing with filthy chains too.
You want at least 1" slack, although you can probably get by with a "little bit" less.
Obviously the chain is placed on the largest cog & ring.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 12-04-22 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-04-22, 03:54 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Bad news.

Your 42/42 gear combination is above average for total tooth count. If you have longish chainstays, that compounds the problem.

Unfortunately chains are usually supplied with 114 links because that was historically more than enough for the vast majority.

I suspect that it'll be a while before chain makers realize that a greater number of bikes need more chain.

Until then, you'll have to buy and splice 2 chains.

BTW if you have a working relationship with s local shop, they may also have dealt with this and might have remnants to sell vs a whole chain.
Except that 116 link chains are the normal Standard in packaged chain sales Worldwide... i have about twenty boxed 6-7-8, 9, 10, 11sp.chains in stock... all are all 116 link. I have about 15 chains cut from bulk rolls then sold.. they too are 116 link...... check Ebay and see what's for sale. Check Amazon.. check any source... mostly 116 link... 114 or anything other than 116 are the outliers.
Old 12-04-22, 03:59 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by sbslider

Sounds like you had it routed incorrectly.. glad it works now.

as to the markings on the link plates... those come out of a stamping die machine in several million part runs... they are not an indicator of the length of a packaged-for-sale chain.

Last edited by maddog34; 12-04-22 at 04:03 PM.