Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.4

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.4

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-22, 05:04 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4943 Post(s)
Liked 8,082 Times in 3,823 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
A family friend was a scout for the Atlanta Braves before he died from Covid. He really pushed his son hard in baseball, and his girls in other sports. Not sure it did much good in the long-term seeing how the big league sports lottery is so competitive and limited in opportunities.
I've seen it done lots of different ways, with lots of different outcomes. Sometimes pushing works. Sometimes it doesn't. I know a few softball girls who got scholarships to play at high-level D1 colleges, and went down that road because it was what was expected of them by parents and coaches, only to find that it was a miserable experience. There are some who thrive in that environment, and some who don't, regardless of athletic skill level.
Old 12-05-22, 05:14 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I've seen it done lots of different ways, with lots of different outcomes. Sometimes pushing works. Sometimes it doesn't. I know a few softball girls who got scholarships to play at high-level D1 colleges, and went down that road because it was what was expected of them by parents and coaches, only to find that it was a miserable experience. There are some who thrive in that environment, and some who don't, regardless of athletic skill level.
My niece was one of those with a D1 soccer scholarship. Quit after a year. Transferred to Missou, got a degree in civil engineering, and now runs projects for a big bridge contractor. She loves her career. Grew to really dislike soccer.
Old 12-05-22, 05:27 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

My niece was one of those with a D1 soccer scholarship. Quit after a year. Transferred to Missou, got a degree in civil engineering, and now runs projects for a big bridge contractor. She loves her career. Grew to really dislike soccer.
Yep. That is not an uncommon story.

My daughter has D1 softball skills. From 9-14, her dream was to play for the Oregon Ducks. Over her HS years, she started realizing what it meant to be a D1 athlete - the demands, the lifestyle, the pressure, etc. We both realized that it wasn't going to be a fit for her emotionally/mentally, but playing D3 might be the right kind of balance between life, academics, and athletics. She had some serious interest from a few schools in the part of the world she wanted to be in (Oregon), including a really nice weekend recruiting trip to a small school in the Portland area. During that trip, we had conversations that this was the right place for her. Somewhere after than trip, her thoughts changed. She realized that being a college athlete was not the experience she wanted. After a final summer of travel softball after her senior year of HS, she hung it up. She still likes to play catch, or go to the park to hit bombs, but the fire to play the game is out. She is an Oregon Duck, however, and very happy about it. Her new best friend at school is also an ex-travel softball player.

I would have loved to see her play and thrive at the next level, but it's her journey, not mine (something too many parents ignore). I'm happy that had the self-awareness and self-confidence to pick the right path for her.
Old 12-05-22, 05:31 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Bike shop called today to let me know the cost of the group set install.

230.00. I’m not sure what I was expecting but that was more than I thought. Plan now is to have them just install the BB, and i’ll install the rest. I’m not all that confident in my ability but I if mojo can do it.

Funny, I asked my buddy how much he was charged at another bike shop. He was like 230!!!!! I was only charged 100! Come to find out, he paid 100 dollars for a crank install not the complete groupset. That seems a little steep to me too.

Let me ask you guys this. What’s the hardest part and what takes the most time with a groupset install?
No internal cables? Too me it seems like the bar wrapping, and the indexing would take the longest.
If everything is a direct swap it shouldn't be to hard if you have the tools. Read the papers that came with for torque specs and related info. If you have to start adapting things like bottom bracket, it can get tricky. I paid $40.00 for the last b.b. instalation I paid for.
Go online and watch the mechanics do the work. Use that to judge weather you should try it yourself.
Old 12-05-22, 06:10 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by ls01
If everything is a direct swap it shouldn't be to hard if you have the tools. Read the papers that came with for torque specs and related info. If you have to start adapting things like bottom bracket, it can get tricky. I paid $40.00 for the last b.b. instalation I paid for.
Go online and watch the mechanics do the work. Use that to judge weather you should try it yourself.
If he f's it up I may have to laugh. 😜
Old 12-05-22, 06:39 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Bike shop called today to let me know the cost of the group set install.

230.00. I’m not sure what I was expecting but that was more than I thought. Plan now is to have them just install the BB, and i’ll install the rest. I’m not all that confident in my ability but I if mojo can do it.

Funny, I asked my buddy how much he was charged at another bike shop. He was like 230!!!!! I was only charged 100! Come to find out, he paid 100 dollars for a crank install not the complete groupset. That seems a little steep to me too.

Let me ask you guys this. What’s the hardest part and what takes the most time with a groupset install?
No internal cables? Too me it seems like the bar wrapping, and the indexing would take the longest.
Seems reasonable

Ex-baseball player dads are the worst*. They already know everything, and want everyone to know it.

* Over-dramatization for effect. My daughter had a few really good coaches that were ex-BB players
she’s got an ex baseball player as a hitting coach for her team and her head coach was a college softball player, they’re good people

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Caring what other people think is, of course, a trap. The couch I'm sitting on looks like a Goodwill reject. I always wonder what like the plumber thinks when he walks through, but don't really care.

It does go in the back of a Lexus, of course. Though I think Denalis are a bit more.
I drive a 6 year old Passat by choice and have a smaller house because I don’t want to take care of something bigger. It irks me that some people try so hard.

I like nice stuff, but don’t need to show off.
Old 12-05-22, 06:41 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
I have a Yeti cooler and a Yeti mug. The cooler looks badass in the back of my 2004 Honda Element with the rattle can paint repair and spider webs on the mirrors.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 12-05-22, 06:49 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I have a Yeti cooler and a Yeti mug. The cooler looks badass in the back of my 2004 Honda Element with the rattle can paint repair and spider webs on the mirrors.
I’d love an Element.
you also sail- that’s a Yeti use case
Old 12-05-22, 08:23 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
I’d love an Element.
you also sail- that’s a Yeti use case
That was also the use case for the Element, which, unlike the Yeti, was worth the outlay.
Old 12-05-22, 08:40 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by phrantic09
Seems reasonable

she’s got an ex baseball player as a hitting coach for her team and her head coach was a college softball player, they’re good people

I drive a 6 year old Passat by choice and have a smaller house because I don’t want to take care of something bigger. It irks me that some people try so hard.

I like nice stuff, but don’t need to show off.
But, also a house in Marblehead. Don’t think you’re slumming it too much. 😉
Old 12-05-22, 08:41 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
We bought a Yeti cooler to take food and drinks to the boat. Loaded up it was heeeeaaaavy, so we stopped using it.
Old 12-05-22, 08:45 PM
Mojo31
-------

Got the tree down Saturday, set it up, and found one light strand not working. Changed fuses. Changes all the bulbs. Got one of those fixer guns. That nailed it down to a shorted wire. Got to spend a grand to buy a new tree that is exactly the same as the old tree. 😔
Old 12-05-22, 09:27 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
I'll do the slumming around here.
Old 12-05-22, 09:55 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I'd be concerned the bear would decide the cooler wasn't worth the bother and would eat me instead.
We used to live down a sunny dirt road deep in Bear country. Infact, we once had the kids come in from a car camping excursion totally freaked out because a bear bit the cooler when the kids were asleep.

But they never saw that bear. My daughter actually carried bear spray for bears: and Cougars which also mostly run when they know you are alerted to their presence.

My personal experience with bears is that they are opportunistic and prefer to stay away from people. But traveling for my work, I once chased a razor back hog when it jumped in front of me.

Locals told me I was lucky that it ran away...
Old 12-05-22, 10:06 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by big john
I'll do the slumming around here.
Id take slumming in SoCal over not-slumming in northern NY. But, that’s just me.
Old 12-05-22, 11:38 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12764 Post(s)
Liked 7,678 Times in 4,074 Posts
Speaking of slumming, who's getting the new Campy corkscrew for Christmas?

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 12-05-22, 11:59 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Id take slumming in SoCal over not-slumming in northern NY. But, that’s just me.
It has it's plusses.
Likes For big john:
Old 12-06-22, 12:54 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,875 Times in 1,078 Posts
Yes, I know those guys - LOL.

My kid didn't start swinging a Ghost until she was 12...because that was the year they first came out. The Ghost became her bat of choice until she stopped playing, and used almost every version they made. I miss not buying the latest Ghost for my kid. Here's what she did to one of them along the way...

Top left was when the crack was pretty well established. From there's her goal was to hit with it until it totally snapped in half (never around other people besides me). I was surprised about how far the ball was still flying off the bat, right up until the end. The last swing wasn't as dramatic as expected. There was one last strand of CF that didn't snap, and it kept the end of the barrel from flying off into the distance, the way she envisioned. Easton replaced the bat under warranty.
I miss the Easton Ghost days !

back in the day when my kids used Combat composite youth bats - they became 'hotter' (and hottest) not long before they began to fail ... the 'trampoline effect' was pronounced

eventually these bats were banned
Likes For t2p:
Old 12-06-22, 01:32 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by t2p
I miss the Easton Ghost days !

back in the day when my kids used Combat composite youth bats - they became 'hotter' (and hottest) not long before they began to fail ... the 'trampoline effect' was pronounced

eventually these bats were banned
It’s an unproven myth that composite bats are hottest just before they fail. Based on my observation with the Ghost - new, hot as hell, and broken. You can hear the difference from new to hot. The sound at impact changes. Once that change happens, it’s a hot plateau until it breaks.
Old 12-06-22, 01:45 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

It’s an unproven myth that composite bats are hottest just before they fail. Based on my observation with the Ghost - new, hot as hell, and broken. You can hear the difference from new to hot. The sound at impact changes. Once that change happens, it’s a hot plateau until it breaks.
unfortunately (?) with BBCOR there was no real 'hot' lol
Old 12-06-22, 01:52 AM
t2p

for the kid that has everything ... or nothing ... ???

-14 composite T ball bat
Likes For t2p:
Old 12-06-22, 01:52 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by t2p

unfortunately (?) with BBCOR there was no real 'hot' lol
My world was softball, so BBCOR is not something I’m familiar with.
Old 12-06-22, 05:17 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Its a tiny house though

Got the tree down Saturday, set it up, and found one light strand not working. Changed fuses. Changes all the bulbs. Got one of those fixer guns. That nailed it down to a shorted wire. Got to spend a grand to buy a new tree that is exactly the same as the old tree. 😔
That’s the only reason I didn’t get a pre-lit. They’re still stupid expensive even without, but the good ones look real and are worth the $$
Old 12-06-22, 05:22 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Based on my recent experience replacing the internally-routed shifter cables on my gravel bike, and an unusually-long battle with getting things dialed in (I've been wrenching my own bikes since I was a kid), $230 might be a damned bargain!
lol. Sometimes. I actually enjoy wrenching on mechanical things, it makes my boat float, if you know what I mean. When things don't work it only gets worse for me. Then I have to know what's wrong.
Old 12-06-22, 05:34 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Speaking of slumming, who's getting the new Campy corkscrew for Christmas?

AG is actually deciding if she wants one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.