Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist killed in Toronto

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 11-26-22, 10:00 AM
homeless in ca.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts

Truly awful scene. I found the location on Google maps and if the cyclist was hit in the intersection then he was dragged for over 100+ feet before the truck stopped in front Loblaws. I'm trying to imagine how that is even possible? You're turning right in an intersection, hit someone, yet continue driving another half a block with a man on a bike trapped under your truck???

The driver, behind the wheel of a Ford F-250 truck, was heading west on St. Clair and turned right to go north on Yonge. At the same time, the cyclist was crossing Yonge eastbound.

"The driver of the Ford pick-up struck the cyclist and continued northbound on Yonge Street with the bike and cyclist lodged underneath the vehicle," police said in a news release Thursday morning.

Emergency services tried to free the cyclist and revive him, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...sion-1.6662126
https://goo.gl/maps/s6EGy7ZnxHjWy9aa6

(photo credit https://toronto.citynews.ca/2022/11/...own-collision/)
Old 11-26-22, 11:50 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3741 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
Toronto, Toronto...what's happening in Toronto Maybe it's no different that any other city, but we sure do seem to hear a lot about Toronto with it's approx. area of 243 sq miles and a population of ~3-million.

Old 11-26-22, 03:51 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
I just rode up this street this afternoon. There are protected bike lanes. Do you know how many times drivers while making their right turns try to squeeze past pedestrians crossing the controlled intersection. I had to ring my bell or honk several times to make sure the driver knows I'm there eventhough he or she should have recognized there already was a bike lane and therefore, check for cyclists.

Here's video of a driver turning left right into a bunch of pedestrians crossing with their walk signal.

https://youtu.be/DR5I-fKPnWM

"Police say it’s early in their investigation, so it’s uncertain at this point if any charges are pending."

Say what? Uncertain? I'm guessing, because the victim was not in a car, the offending driver will not be charged.

This is how there are so many road fatalities.

Last edited by Daniel4; 11-26-22 at 04:01 PM.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 11-26-22, 05:05 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 897 Times in 585 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I just rode up this street this afternoon. There are protected bike lanes. Do you know how many times drivers while making their right turns try to squeeze past pedestrians crossing the controlled intersection. I had to ring my bell or honk several times to make sure the driver knows I'm there eventhough he or she should have recognized there already was a bike lane and therefore, check for cyclists.

Here's video of a driver turning left right into a bunch of pedestrians crossing with their walk signal.

https://youtu.be/DR5I-fKPnWM

"Police say it’s early in their investigation, so it’s uncertain at this point if any charges are pending."

Say what? Uncertain? I'm guessing, because the victim was not in a car, the offending driver will not be charged.

This is how there are so many road fatalities.
Would it have happened in the USA,the driver would have been charged with deliberated manslaughter or even murder 1 with jail for life sentence and no parole.
Old 11-27-22, 06:06 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
Would it have happened in the USA,the driver would have been charged with deliberated manslaughter or even murder 1 with jail for life sentence and no parole.

Do you really believe that?
Old 11-27-22, 08:00 PM
Ttom

Bikes: Kona Sutra SE

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 34 Posts
No I don't.
Old 11-27-22, 08:15 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
not a chance.. slap on the wrist with a "sorry I didn't see them"
Old 12-01-22, 07:54 AM
Daniel4

As of this morning, the police is STILL investigating whether or not to lay charges even though the driver made his illegal turn at 4:30pm, a time when right turns are not allowed.

The only way a driver gets charged in a collision is if he's:
1) Hit and Run; or
2) DUI; or
3) Driving without a licence or with a suspended licence: or
4) known to police or already wanted by police; or
5) the victim was in a car.
Old 12-01-22, 01:00 PM
homeless in ca.

Driver kept going with a human being and a bicycle wedged under his truck. But he stopped after a while so the police spin are going with "the driver remained on the scene and cooperated".
Old 12-01-22, 06:05 PM
Daniel4

Update: Driver has been charged.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...eath-1.6670755

I'll take note of this rare occasion of a charge laid against a driver killing a non-car victim.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 12-01-22, 09:25 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Please excuse me if I'm too thick to understand this. I have a hard time visualizing this incident. If the driver is heading west on St. Clair and turns north (right) onto Yonge, how can they hit a cyclist going east crossing Yonge? (see my crude drawing).

Is the protected bike lane mentioned above at the edge of the westbound lane and have two way travel, causing the eastbound cyclist to go against westbound traffic, and therefore in front of the truck turning right? Or was the cyclist in a crosswalk crossing Yonge, again, against the traffic?

I could easily understand if the cyclist was also going west on St. Clair crossing (or about to cross) Yonge - that would be a classic right hook. But the description says he was going the opposite direction to the truck.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm sincerely not trying to comment on the incident. I'm using "against traffic" not to imply any error on the cyclist's fault, just to describe the relative directions involved. I couldn't understand the description of the collision. It's a horrible tragedy and my personal assumption (worth any assumption) is a probably criminally careless driver.

Last edited by Camilo; 12-01-22 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-01-22, 10:09 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Crossing in the crosswalk is the only thing that makes sense. Assuming the press release is correct in the description.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 12-01-22, 11:30 PM
Daniel4

I've done that before. Instead of getting into the left turn lane to turn left, I would cross the street twice.

In this case, riding eastbound on St. Clair, I would stop at the intersection, cross northbound at the western crosswalk of Yonge St. Then wait for the light on the other side of Yonge Street. When I cross Yonge Street I'd be on the north crosswalk heading east preparing to turn left as I approach the bike lane. That'll be when I usually stare at drivers trying to turn right.
Old 12-02-22, 08:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
As of this morning, the police is STILL investigating whether or not to lay charges even though the driver made his illegal turn at 4:30pm, a time when right turns are not allowed.

The only way a driver gets charged in a collision is if he's:
1) Hit and Run; or
2) DUI; or
3) Driving without a licence or with a suspended licence: or
4) known to police or already wanted by police; or
5) the victim was in a car.

I'll take note of this rare occasion of a charge laid against a driver killing a non-car victim.
Take note that this is yet another example of you posting misinformation (post #8).

The primary charge against the driver is "careless driving causing death". I can't help but note that your checklist I quoted above is complete nonsense as none of those elements are required by that law.. As a matter of fact, courts are instructed to consider whether the victim is a pedestrian or cyclist as an aggravating factor when sentencing:.

The statute: 130 (3) Every person is guilty of the offence of driving carelessly who drives a vehicle or street car on a highway without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway and who thereby causes bodily harm or death to any person.

This is followed up by :
130 (6) A court that imposes a sentence for an offence under subsection (3) shall consider as an aggravating factor evidence that bodily harm or death was caused to a person who, in the circumstances of the offence, was vulnerable to a lack of due care and attention or reasonable consideration by a driver, including by virtue of the fact that the person was a pedestrian, cyclist or person working upon the highway.

Last edited by livedarklions; 12-02-22 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-03-22, 12:53 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Crossing in the crosswalk is the only thing that makes sense. Assuming the press release is correct in the description.
Not making any assumptions as to the facts of this incident or fault, But,

I witnessed a situation where a cyclist crossed in a crosswalk maybe like the cyclist in this incident - "against" the traffic in the adjacent lane. The cyclist I witnessed rode against a "don't walk" sign (which was controlling the sidewalk/bikepath) without even slowing. A car with a green light was turning right and was looking left for traffic, and the cyclist blew through the crosswalk from the driver's right. Yea, I know drivers need to be vigilant, but I could understand this happening even to careful drivers. The car hit the cyclist, or should I say the cyclist hit the car - hit the quarter panel and slid over the hood. Fortunately, there was minor damage and injury.

We have no idea for sure if the cyclist was actually in a crosswalk (although it seems that he was, given the scant details we have seen), and/or if a pedestrian signal was even involved pro- or con.

It would be very nice if the report of the incident were clearer. But without more details of the lay out of the incident and eye witnesses for the signals involved, it's hard to say if the scenario with a cross walk and Don't Walk - or Walk - sign is relevant, but it's something I'd like to know.

I fear this will get responses that I'm being an apologist for poor, dangerous driving. Again, not trying to make assumptions, or assign fault. It's just my imagination and experience trying to make sense of what was described. It is an awful tragedy and I hope that if the facts warrant, the driver is prosecuted fully.

Last edited by Camilo; 12-03-22 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-03-22, 05:01 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

good thing,I hope he rots in jail
Old 12-03-22, 11:37 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by homeless in ca.
...he was dragged for over 100+ feet before the truck stopped...???
100 feet? Amateurs.

Car apparently dragged body 6 miles from New Orleans across Mississippi River bridge.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/police-ca...i-river-bridge
Old 12-09-22, 10:23 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Downtown riding in Toronto is truly horrendous. I've done it. I hate it, even with the bike lanes. Whenever I have to venture down there from my suburbs I try to stick to trails, even if it means tacking extra kms.
Old 12-09-22, 11:58 AM
homeless in ca.

Driver was only charged with "careless driving causing death" which is a small fine and max 6 months in jail.

Dangerous driving causing death is max 14 year prison but I guess making an illegal turn is only classified as "careless" now.

To add insult to injury this Toronto police vehicle parked in the exact spot where the cyclist was killed to get a coffee.

Old 12-09-22, 01:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
good thing,I hope he rots in jail

I do have to wonder if the charges might go higher--if the prosecutors can prove that the driver knew he was dragging the victim and that the dragging was actually what killed him, I would think this could be a higher form of homicide. Those are two really big "ifs" though.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-11-22, 03:44 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I do have to wonder if the charges might go higher--if the prosecutors can prove that the driver knew he was dragging the victim and that the dragging was actually what killed him, I would think this could be a higher form of homicide. Those are two really big "ifs" though.
I totally agree with you, for me it is a deliberated homicide.Let's hope the prosecutors can prove it.
Old 01-04-23, 06:53 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Driver was only charged with "careless driving causing death" which is a small fine and max 6 months in jail.

Dangerous driving causing death is max 14 year prison but I guess making an illegal turn is only classified as "careless" now.

To add insult to injury this Toronto police vehicle parked in the exact spot where the cyclist was killed to get a coffee.

The difference is that Carless driving falls under the Ontario Highway Traffic Act. Dangerous driving is a criminal code violation.
Old 01-04-23, 10:05 AM
Daniel4

The truck driver responsible for the crash at Humbolt was sentenced to 8 years. For 16 deaths, that's six months per death. Less if you count all the other injured survivors.

He was speeding and ran a stop sign, which was nothing out of the ordinary except that he did them at the same time.

Last edited by Daniel4; 01-04-23 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-05-23, 08:27 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
The truck driver responsible for the crash at Humbolt was sentenced to 8 years. For 16 deaths, that's six months per death. Less if you count all the other injured survivors.

He was speeding and ran a stop sign, which was nothing out of the ordinary except that he did them at the same time.
I guess that's why sage advice says to only break 1 law at a time.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 01-05-23, 08:46 AM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by base2
I guess that's why sage advice says to only break 1 law at a time.
Which is what occurs everyday.

Btw Toronto just had its first road fatality of the year. Hit-and-run. Police is looking for a(nother) pickup truck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.