Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Roached-out Brooks Pro saddle

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-22, 03:46 PM
Roypercy

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
Roached-out Brooks Pro saddle

This came on a Raleigh Competition I just bought. It looks kind of gnarly, although the rails look good and it has some structural integrity, I rode on it when I tested the bike and it felt pretty solid. Any thoughts as to whether this is salvageable? What’s it worth in this condition?

Last edited by Roypercy; 12-09-22 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-09-22, 05:15 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 3,331 Times in 2,173 Posts
-----

"roached out" are generally salvageable; it's the "beetled out" ones you need to be concerned about...

rhm

-----
Old 12-09-22, 05:23 PM
Roypercy

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

"roached out" are generally salvageable; it's the "beetled out" ones you need to be concerned about...

rhm

-----
lol how would I go about refreshing this one?
Old 12-09-22, 06:10 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
...the standard advice for one like that is usually to soak it in water for a day or two. When the leather is pliable again, you reform it and wrap it so the skirts dry in a more appropriate position. Then you sand off the top rough surface, until smooth. Then wax teh heck out of it, and hope for the best. That one looks like you might need to punch and lace the skirts, to get it to behave a little better.
Old 12-09-22, 06:12 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
That leather is going to split somewhere, probably near one of the rivets, or if it's really splayed in the center, right across the middle; think starting near where one of the thighs rubs against the leather. It just depends upon where the weakest spot is. It's not a question of if, but when. It actually looks like you're only a few more pedal revolutions from having the leather split right in front of that right side rivet at the cantle (rear support.) You could get it re-covered with new leather but you might as well just buy a new Brooks if the intention is to ride it.
Old 12-10-22, 05:33 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...the standard advice for one like that is usually to soak it in water for a day or two. When the leather is pliable again, you reform it and wrap it so the skirts dry in a more appropriate position.
I’ve also read that after soaking, before wrapping, pack the underside with dry newspaper (the real stuff vs the full color ad fliers) to help pull out the moisture once wrapped and set aside to dry. This has worked nicely for me on the 2 or 3 saddles I’ve done. There seems to be a split among the adoring public about treating ( Proofhide or wax or dubin or…. ) just the top or topside and underside. I don’t know.

Since real newspaper is getting hard to find, that brown paper used in packages from on-line purchases may work well too. It starts wood stove fires well.
Old 12-13-22, 11:56 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
I've used the soaking method to reshape a couple of swayback saddles where the leather was in good condition but misshapen. That dry and cracked leather would make me very nervous, however, even if I got it to look good.
Old 12-15-22, 09:50 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
The riveted and rails look so good I would sell it on ebay to someone who wants to mess with it. 50/50 it will crack. I'd rather let someone else bet on it.
Old 12-20-22, 08:04 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
It is sometimes hard to tell what's what from photos. That saddle does look like toast, but it might not be as bad in person as it appears in the photos. It is just a shame it wasn't cared for, it doesn't have to look that way.
Old 12-20-22, 11:13 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I try to read all your sales posts, especially concerning eBay, and this surprises me. Woulda thought you would just toss this saddle or maybe rub in some cheap leather conditioner and place it on a bookshelf.
The main reason I would sell on ebay is to get it into the hands of someone who will either restore or rebuild it. If the OP is that person, do it. If not, rather than collect dust or ruin it, I'd move it on. There is someone out there that will want it. And who knows, some collector might want it for a display piece.

It does have some redeeming features, rails look to be shiny and bright. A leather worker would have a good time resurrecting it.

Some of the stuff I sell on ebay is not in the big return category but instead in the keeping it out of the landfill and getting it a new life. There is an end user out there that could restore that saddle. I know that end user is not me.

I'd guess $25 to $50. I'd need better pictures of the frame condition. Rust free or nearly rust free would be at the higher end.
Likes For wrk101: