Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

One more excuse to skip riding when it's cold

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

One more excuse to skip riding when it's cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-22, 03:51 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Ice fishing is just an excuse to sit in a box and do nothing but drink.
People in Philly don’t need an excuse to do that.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-09-22, 03:55 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by genejockey
My brother married a Minnesota girl, in a morning ceremony on the shore of Lake Bemidji. It was really cold and windy.

In June.
When we camped along Lake Erie between Dunkirk and Buffalo in mid-August we had a campfire, and the campground was on a plateau above the lake. There were whitecaps on the water. No thanks.
Old 12-09-22, 04:08 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Ice fishing is just an excuse to sit in a box and do nothing but drink.
....and indoor riding is just an excuse to watch crappy TV shows or stare at a computer screen while pretending to be riding.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 12-09-22, 04:14 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
I grew up in Minnesota, and there is nothing colder than Great Plains cold. Ain't nothing stopping that wind. Fargo is scary cold to Minnesotans.
Minot is worse. I spent one winter there.
Old 12-09-22, 04:24 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
What would this audience think of A Modest Proposal?
This member of the audience would think it the best example of satire ever.
Of course, he also holds a double-plus useless English degree.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 12-09-22, 04:59 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by ironwood
My condolences. We spent two nights there riding across the country. Got a pamphlet from the Chamber of Commerce. Reading the average highs and lows in February shocked me. Fortunately, we were there in late June. The weather was quite nice. Went to the zoo on the rest day. The first day I went to the post office to check for mail. Told the clerk my last name. She asked if it was eye-talian.
Old 12-09-22, 05:40 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
Uf Da!
Old 12-09-22, 06:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
This member of the audience would think it the best example of satire ever.
Of course, he also holds a double-plus useless English degree.

Liked for the subtle Orwell reference. That is not ungood.
Old 12-09-22, 07:18 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
I just skied uphill 4200’. My second lap was 1800’ in barely over a mile.

I might have actually died several times as the day wore on. At least 2 or 3 times, pretty sure.

Last edited by rosefarts; 12-09-22 at 08:13 PM.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 12-09-22, 07:27 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts

I might have actually died several times as the day wore on. At least 2 or times, pretty sure.
So you have 7 more lives to go.
Old 12-10-22, 08:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by wolfchild
....and indoor riding is just an excuse to watch crappy TV shows or stare at a computer screen while pretending to be riding.
Why are all your hot takes this stupid?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-10-22, 09:07 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

This thread is the gift that keeps on giving.
Old 12-10-22, 10:53 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2567 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Like a white elephant gift exchange.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-10-22, 11:07 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Lol...they keep the cannibals in Milwaukee. I'm in the northern part of the state that is sparsely populated.
Ed Gein lived in Plainfield, small village in the dead center of the state. You aren’t any safer where you are.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-10-22, 12:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
Why are all your hot takes this stupid?
Practice.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-10-22, 12:51 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
I grew up in Minnesota and I live in New England. Since I've also lived in New Orleans, I'm very well versed in extreme temperatures at both ends and have plenty of experience exercising in such conditions.
Yet you seem to have almost hysteric views about how dangerous exercise in the cold supposedly is. People who live in cold climates typically just get on with it. Like I did.

So I reproduced the quote I objected to in the first place just to show how far off the beam you have gone--that activity levels are going to "plummet" if you follow your version of what this article is recommending; or something.
Conveniently without context and the latter part of that post. Combining that with putting words in my mouth I guess that constitutes as strawman? Had you read my post you'd know I don't have a version of what the article is recommending. My view is that the article is garbage. But stating that I'm guessing you'll find a new way of making up things I've written.

Honestly, you seem to be arguing now that the "science" as you understand it, proves too much, and that the real recommendation this article should have been making based on the literature is not to go outside at all.
I think this is one of the cleares examples of strawman I've seen in ages. That whole "you seem" and "you understand it" and the punch line "not to go outside at all". Which is in fact the opposite of what I was trying to convey. So at this stage you're pretty much making things up from thin air, which really stops my involvement here.

Obviously, that's absurd and is completely unsupported by the very same articles--no, they don't clearly identify the statistical cause of the increased rates of death in cold weather but that's because that data most likely doesn't exist. You've taken the fuzziness of population-level data and concluded from it that you should take from that fuzziness the broadest interpretation of the implications possible.
More of the same as stated above. Where exactly did I write about clearly identified statistical causes? You're going to have a fun time fabricating that one. But do read the studies and the conclusions. Of course I did go a bit broader afield and found some other related stuff. The link between mortality and cold weather has been studied here too. Because it gets cold here.

What we do know is that cold has a certain number of effects on individuals, primarily but not exclusively CV and respiratory, and that there is a subset of the population who has limited ability to physically cope with those types of effects.
None of the studies referenced in the articles stated that I think. But I may be wrong. Could be. Or the effects might be universal.

You want to argue that people with heart disease don't have to worry about a factor that's going to increase the amount of CV effort needed to produce the same results, knock yourself out.
This is again something you made up as this is again the exact opposite what I was arguing. I'm starting to see a pattern.

Yes, exercise warms the body. That is heat is energy expended by your body, and your CV and other systems are working hard to generate it. The point is your body expended a lot more energy getting up to those warm temperatures than it would if the air temperature was warmer, so your heart is working harder at baseline already and you're now increasing the load on it higher than you would normally.
Of course the prerequisites of this paragraf are that you are either
1) cold when starting up
2) insufficiently clothed
3) both.
If you are properly dressed for the conditions and don't start out cold, there's not really much difference. If you really nail it you can get to a no sweat equilibrium which is kinda neat.

As to the lungs, your logic is completely off the wall. It is absolutely undeniable that cold dry air would be incredibly irritating to the lungs if the body did not have mechanisms for warming and humidifying that air as it's inspired. That's the reason most people's noses run in the cold The more you inhale and exhale, the closer you get to the boundaries of the body's ability to do such regulation. I don't doubt for a second that most people can train up to increasing their capacity to do this, in a former life, I have done such things. I now can't because the scar tissue in my lung appears to be irritated more easily. I honestly don't care if you think that's a valid excuse, I don't know why you think you're qualified to tell other people much of anything about what does or doesn't constitute a "health reason".
I'm lost here. I genuinely do not know what part of my post this paragraf relates to. You're putting so many words in my mouth that it's difficult to keep up.

I waited until my cardiac testing showed that I had suffered no significant coronary damage from my clot-induced heart attack before I started back to intense exercise, and I'll take my personalized risk assessment from myself rather than you, thank you very much. I do know that my activity does not "plummet" during the winter despite my lack of bicycling activity--if it makes you feel less butthurt that saying that that claim was full of crap and faulting you for basing an entire argument on that absurdity indicates that I was "triggered", fine. I get annoyed when people start making claims that things that happen every day are somehow impossible. If you think activity has to plummet if we don't exercise in the cold, I take it you're unfamiliar with the concept of a gym.
I've come to the conclusion that the reason why you do not understand what I'm trying to write here is because you're too invested in your own story of what I've written to be able to get out of it. Or that you're incapable of believing the fact that it's not the exercise in the cold that's bad. It is the cold itself. But not for the majority of people. And even those affected can prepare for it so it shouldn't limit them (barring extreme cases).

No amount of exercise in the gym or otherwise can replace an active lifestyle. The cold shouldn't stop that active lifestyle, just modify it (I'd love to utility ski to places now that we have proper amount of snow again).

If you're ok taking long walks in the cold but hopping on a bike is anathema, well I'm just confused.
Old 12-10-22, 01:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rosefarts

I might have actually died several times as the day wore on. At least 2 or 3 times, pretty sure.

So that's like a 35% grade for a mile. How long does that take you?

I can't ski because of my ankles, so I'm both super impressed and very curious.
Old 12-10-22, 02:42 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

So that's like a 35% grade for a mile. How long does that take you?

I can't ski because of my ankles, so I'm both super impressed and very curious.
Interesting you mention this. I have some ankle issues and can't ice skate (painful), but xc skiing is fine. Although I have to do most of my snowplowing with my right ski as my left ankle can't pronate very far inward. I can still stop on a dime and can herringbone uphill unless a trail is V'ed out, then it's troublesome.
Old 12-10-22, 04:39 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Yep, that's the purpose of this thread. Just a mud slinging fest and pure entertainment...I mean how many people are actually going to quit cycling in below 50 F temps and quit participating in winter activities just because of the article which OP has posted ???
Old 12-10-22, 04:52 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Yep, that's the purpose of this thread. Just a mud slinging fest and pure entertainment...I mean how many people are actually going to quit cycling in below 50 F temps and quit participating in winter activities just because of the article which OP has posted ???
I rode today and it was 35 degrees. Granted I don't have any cardiovascular issues. Plenty of other issues, but my ticker and lungs are good.
Old 12-10-22, 04:57 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Yep, that's the purpose of this thread. Just a mud slinging fest and pure entertainment.
Slinging mud in very low temperatures can also be very bad for your health.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-10-22, 05:52 PM
wolfchild
Banned

I rode today and it was 35 degrees. Granted I don't have any cardiovascular issues. Plenty of other issues, but my ticker and lungs are good.
It was only 26 F and windy in my area today. I spent 4 hours on my bike.
Old 12-10-22, 06:01 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

It was only 26 F and windy in my area today. I spent 4 hours on my bike.
You're braver than I am.
Old 12-10-22, 06:02 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Slinging mud in very low temperatures can also be very bad for your health.
Especially if the mud is frozen.
Old 12-11-22, 02:12 AM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
This is the age of the wimp. Huge brains, small necks, weak muscles and fat wallets, the dominant physical characteristics of people who are afraid to ride in the cold.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.