Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Poseidon X Gravel Bike

Old 06-15-20, 08:32 PM
trimaniac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Wow...that looks awesome! Did you strip the frame or paint/anodize it? I get what you are saying about maybe rubbing the chainstay or the cable. I am nervous about that too. I installed a 172.5mm crank, and the clearance makes me nervous. While I am waiting for a few parts, I am looking into 170mm cranks. By the way, what fork is that? It's a thru-axle right?

Last edited by trimaniac; 06-15-20 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-21-20, 08:24 PM
blak_byke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks! Yes I stripped it with Aircraft stripper and hand polished it with Mothers.

Due to crank arm clearance issues, I'm running 170mm Sram X9 cranks. Since they have a removable spider, I borrowed the spider and chainring from my Force crankset and BOOM! Wider q-factor and 110BCD spider on a mtb crankset . The fork is a Rodeo Labs Spork I found on FB Market Pace. It's 15mm thru-axle and I got the rear 12mm thru-axle ($30) dropouts from Poseidon.

Last edited by blak_byke; 06-21-20 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-24-20, 02:24 PM
trimaniac

Originally Posted by blak_byke
Thanks! Yes I stripped it with Aircraft stripper and hand polished it with Mothers.

Due to crank arm clearance issues, I'm running 170mm Sram X9 cranks. Since they have a removable spider, I borrowed the spider and chainring from my Force crankset and BOOM! Wider q-factor and 110BCD spider on a mtb crankset . The fork is a Rodeo Labs Spork I found on FB Market Pace. It's 15mm thru-axle and I got the rear 12mm thru-axle ($30) dropouts from Poseidon.

Thanks for all the info. So...mountain bike crankset? I didn't think about that. That is way cool. I will look into that. All these little parts that I am waiting for. I just got a rear thru axle today but... 171mm. I should have re-read this thread...duh!!!
Old 06-25-20, 08:50 PM
trimaniac

Sorry for the questions. So... I am assuming those shifters are your Sram Force ones? And they work with the X9 derailleur with no problems???
Old 06-26-20, 03:04 AM
blak_byke

Originally Posted by trimaniac
Sorry for the questions. So... I am assuming those shifters are your Sram Force ones? And they work with the X9 derailleur with no problems???
Sram Rival, actually. But yes, Sram 10speed road and MTB components are compatible.
Old 06-28-20, 10:05 PM
cutrich

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They now have same version with flat bar on their website. Is it a good bike for a beginner?
Old 06-30-20, 06:01 AM
blak_byke

Originally Posted by cutrich
They now have same version with flat bar on their website. Is it a good bike for a beginner?
Yes.
Old 06-30-20, 08:14 PM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by cutrich
I think it's ideal for a begginer. In fact, there should probably be more flat bar gravel bikes out there, but I think a lot of people are hung up on the looks of drops, even though they don't even use the drops. In that sense a flat bar is actually better for a beginner so you have good braking and control on descents.

Heck, I'm tempted to sell my Trek FX and get one of those things for $600...
Old 07-31-20, 03:31 PM
rces

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I destroyed the bottom bearing when removing it (completely my heavy handed fault) and replaced it with a Cane Creek 40. I really need to post more so I can post pics of it.
Hi! I’m planning to replace the headset on my Poseidon X and was wondering if you could share what size headset did you end up getting? I haven’t taken it apart just yet so I’m not sure which size I need to get. Thanks!
Old 07-31-20, 05:18 PM
blak_byke

Originally Posted by rces
Hi! I’m planning to replace the headset on my Poseidon X and was wondering if you could share what size headset did you end up getting? I haven’t taken it apart just yet so I’m not sure which size I need to get. Thanks!
Sure. Here ya go!
Old 07-31-20, 11:44 PM
rces

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
blak_byke Is there a benefit to going with the tapered tall cover as opposed to going with the short cover Cane Creek 40 headset?

Last edited by rces; 07-31-20 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-01-20, 01:52 PM
rces

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure. Here ya go!
Is there a benefit to going with the tapered tall cover as opposed to going with the short cover Cane Creek 40 headset?
Old 08-01-20, 02:13 PM
blak_byke

Originally Posted by rces
Is there a benefit to going with the tapered tall cover as opposed to going with the short cover Cane Creek 40 headset?
Ordering the tall cover for me was just aesthetics. One less spacer. I actually have a short cover on mine. The tall cover was lost in the mail and came months late. I had to order a short cover because I ran out of patience and that's what I could find lol.

Although the cover is tapered, tapered is actually referring to the type of headset. Headtube has an inner diameter of 41mm at the top and the bottom is 52mm hence the IS41 | IS52.

Last edited by blak_byke; 08-04-20 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-20-20, 08:23 PM
trimaniac

Thought I would post to keep this Thread alive. Need to post more before I can insert a photo so need to post a few blank posts.
Old 09-20-20, 08:23 PM
trimaniac

Post #7
Old 09-20-20, 08:24 PM
trimaniac

Post #8
Old 09-20-20, 08:24 PM
trimaniac

Post #9
Old 09-20-20, 08:26 PM
trimaniac

Post #10
Old 09-21-20, 06:49 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Post #10
lame
Old 09-21-20, 08:31 PM
trimaniac

Sorry. Due to the rules of this forum, 1. I had to post a minimum of 10 times in order to be able to load a picture and 2. The forum only lets you post 5 posts every 24 hours so in attempting to meet the first rule, I, apparently, posted more than 5 times so I wasn't able to post the picture yesterday. Here is that picture of my X that I had finally finished building a few weeks ago. Did it for under $900.00 but it came at a weight penalty (Heavy wheelset). Have been riding it for about 10 days and it is very cool. I wish the chainstay was a little longer, but no worries. Questions on parts, don't be afraid to ask.

Likes For trimaniac:
Old 09-25-20, 10:09 AM
blak_byke

Hell yeah! I'm moving to hydros this winter on mine as well. Thought I wouldn't like mine (steel guy), but 650x47 smooth things right out. Definitely a keeper!
Old 09-26-20, 09:03 PM
trimaniac

Hell yeah! I'm moving to hydros this winter on mine as well. Thought I wouldn't like mine (steel guy), but 650x47 smooth things right out. Definitely a keeper!
The brakes are terrific! Although, I have always had hydraulic brakes on all my disc bikes so I have nothing to compare it to. Yeah...the 650x47 are great. I have the Byways too but have yet to try them. I have a set of 700c wheels that I have yet to install. Tell me, are you having any trouble with your heel hitting the cable? I sometimes hit it if I am not paying attention.
Likes For trimaniac:
Old 09-26-20, 09:12 PM
blak_byke

Tell me, are you having any trouble with your heel hitting the cable? I sometimes hit it if I am not paying attention.
Sure did. I saw the problem early on in the build. I just put a zip tie on it and no more hitting it. I'm also using mtb cranks and they have a wider q-factor so that helped even more.
Old 09-29-20, 01:36 PM
SkipII

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wheely light wheels

Originally Posted by flyAddict
By my calculations the wheels that come on it weigh in at 2,972 g for the set so that's a great place to shed some weight.
I just ordered this bike,. I am new to gravel biking, but I can tell I will want to swap out the wheels for something lighter. Is there something you can suggest?
Old 09-29-20, 04:30 PM
trimaniac

Originally Posted by SkipII
I just ordered this bike,. I am new to gravel biking, but I can tell I will want to swap out the wheels for something lighter. Is there something you can suggest?
I am new to gravel biking as you can see but not new to cycling nor building bikes and I have done some research on the topic of wheelsets lately. You could buy a used set on eBay for about the same price or even find a pair on your local Craigslist but if you want something new and lightweight, I would check out Hunt Wheels:

https://www.huntbikewheels.cc/collections/road-wheels

They are an English company with a $400 sub 1600 gram wheelset made for gravel and you can all the parts from them to convert from QR to TA or vice versa for pretty cheap ($15.00 each for the adapters) AND, if you went with say a Shimano driver, you can the SRAM one for only $40.00 which is approximately about $30 or $40 cheaper than say a WTB or Stan's one AND their wheels are more expensive by at least $200 for the same weight wheelset. Sorry...a little long winded there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.