Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Better Carbon Fork Plugs?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-21, 04:00 PM
La Brea Bike

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Ultimate, 84 & 85 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Raleigh Prestige, 85 Raleigh 555 RSL, '20 Raleigh Tamland, 38 Raleigh, 85 Landshark "Raleigh", '84 Marinoni Levi's Raleigh, SB4484, SB7979, Raleigh SSCXWC, 87 Raleigh USA 531 Prototype

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 79 Posts

I have now tightened a guy's FSA Carbon Fork Plug for him multiple times, and it lasts about a week before I have to do it again due to the tension bolt backing off. This is the only time I have seen this type of repetitive situation. Is this something that these things are known for? Is there a preferred plug that holds better? Thanks.
Old 12-04-21, 05:42 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by La Brea Bike
I have now tightened a guy's FSA Carbon Fork Plug for him multiple times, and it lasts about a week before I have to do it again due to the tension bolt backing off. This is the only time I have seen this type of repetitive situation. Is this something that these things are known for? Is there a preferred plug that holds better? Thanks.
the plug is only used to set headset preload when installing the stem. Once the stem is installed and the stem bolts tightened, the plug serves no purpose except to possibly provide some internal support to the carbon steerer. If the headset is loosening up over time, you should be looking at your stem bolt torque or considering some installation paste to stop the stem slipping. The stem plug isn’t the problem.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 12-04-21, 08:14 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
There are a few differing designs of compression plugs (not including a basic star nut which is not to be used in a carbon steerer). One is glued in the steerer and tends to be fork specific. The two types taht are secured with an expanding section differ in what bolt does what job. The one bolt versions use the stem cap's draw bolt to both drive the expanding portion of the plug tight inside the steerer and also pull the stem cap down to preload the bearings. One bolt two jobs, often not the best choice. Style two has the expanding plug done by a hollow bolt at the top of the plug. The stem cap's draw bolt is then threaded into this hollow plug bolt. One step tightens the plug the second step/bolt preloads the bearings. Much easier to work with.

Either type of expanding plug usually needs to differentiate between the friction the wedges and "brake shoes" have and that of the bolt so applying grease to the proper surfaces allows better tightening and future removal. Carbon steerers have a max amount of plug tightening allowed before the steerer is at risk of fracture. Balancing all these factors is important to having the plug do it's two jobs, only one of which is needed after the stem is pinched in place. If the plug is coming loose and you can't understand and fix that then you owe the rider to find someone who can. His health and safety depends on his fork/stem remaining a solid item Andy
Old 12-04-21, 10:08 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
the plug is only used to set headset preload when installing the stem. Once the stem is installed and the stem bolts tightened, the plug serves no purpose except to possibly provide some internal support to the carbon steerer.
A metal steerer can use a star type plug to provide enough traction to preload the headset bearings.
A carbon steerer requires an expanding plug. This expanding plug helps stop the stem crushing the carbon steerer and provides traction to preload the headset bearings.

Do check that the plug is inside the stems clamp. Having the plug too low in the steerer, will stop it supporting the stem clamp.
Oh and don’t forget to use the correct torque on both the plugs expander and the stem clamp bolts.

Barry

PPS: Carbon Assembly Paste is your friend. The grit in the paste helps stop bits moving around. After all, with a carbon steerer you can’t just lean on the wrench !
Old 12-05-21, 03:20 PM
La Brea Bike

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Ultimate, 84 & 85 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Raleigh Prestige, 85 Raleigh 555 RSL, '20 Raleigh Tamland, 38 Raleigh, 85 Landshark "Raleigh", '84 Marinoni Levi's Raleigh, SB4484, SB7979, Raleigh SSCXWC, 87 Raleigh USA 531 Prototype

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
A metal steerer can use a star type plug to provide enough traction to preload the headset bearings.
A carbon steerer requires an expanding plug. This expanding plug helps stop the stem crushing the carbon steerer and provides traction to preload the headset bearings.

Do check that the plug is inside the stems clamp. Having the plug too low in the steerer, will stop it supporting the stem clamp.
Good call on the depth of the plug. I would have expected that the gaps would be different if it was too low, but that makes total sense. I'll verity! Thanks.
Old 12-06-21, 08:58 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Is it the style you have to secure with a larger allen? Usually 8mm allen to tighten the plug, and the cap uses the normal 5mm. I always find those loose for some reason. I have a Hope brand one that has always worked for me.
Likes For wesmamyke:
Old 12-06-21, 09:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I think the reason why the two bolts for the two functions plugs can sometimes loosen is that once in place and the stem cap draw bolt is in installed most riders (and shops) don't remove that cap and bolt after initial use to re torque the plug's bolt and take up the small, but there, slight compression that a carbon steerer sometimes have. Andy
Old 12-06-22, 09:40 PM
shmuelyosef

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It is widely believed that carbon paste is a bad idea in carbon steerers...the expanding plug should be done properly and torqued to the set specifications for both stem bolts (5-6 N-m) and preload (take out all the play, but no more). Make absolutely certain that your expanding plug fills all the space under the stem...for this reason, it is obvious that the minimum expander length must be 40mm (the most common stem clamp height). Generally should be a little more and should be (as well as can be done) somewhat centered under the stem clamp. It is good practice to use at least a 50mm expander...I tend to use 70mm or 100mm expanders for confidence...they weigh very little and I don't have to worry if I juggle my stem height a little.

Oh and don’t forget to use the correct torque on both the plugs expander and the stem clamp bolts.

Barry

PPS: Carbon Assembly Paste is your friend. The grit in the paste helps stop bits moving around. After all, with a carbon steerer you can’t just lean on the wrench !
Old 12-06-22, 09:44 PM
shmuelyosef

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I think the reason why the two bolts for the two functions plugs can sometimes loosen is that once in place and the stem cap draw bolt is in installed most riders (and shops) don't remove that cap and bolt after initial use to re torque the plug's bolt and take up the small, but there, slight compression that a carbon steerer sometimes have. Andy
Absolutely correct!!
The very last thing that you should do is slack off the stem clamp bolts, tighten up the top cap until you just barely feel friction on the steerer, then re-tighten the stem clamp. I do find this works best with snug fitting spacers (I use the Wheels Mfg aluminum alloy spacers...they are individually precision machined).
Old 12-06-22, 10:20 PM
shmuelyosef

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
One last thing that I forgot to mention, along the lines of universal solution.
High quality, reasonably affordable and light compression plugs are available in lengths greater than 50mm. You can place these, leave them where they are and move spacers around knowing that you are covering the 40mm where your stem is clamped and not fretting.
The two that I use are:

Origin8 Fusion Expander Compression Plug - 90mm

Deda Elementi Expander Bung - 70mm

Old 12-07-22, 01:01 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by shmuelyosef
It is widely believed that carbon paste is a bad idea in carbon steerers....
Really? this is the first time I've ever heard that. Is there a source for this? Thanks.
Old 12-07-22, 10:42 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by shmuelyosef
It is widely believed that carbon paste is a bad idea in carbon steerers..
Is this still the case if the Stem and steerer are both Carbon?

Barry
Old 12-13-22, 07:03 PM
shmuelyosef

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Is this still the case if the Stem and steerer are both Carbon?

Barry
Check out this article
A tech bulletin from Trek regarding carbon assembly paste
Old 12-13-22, 07:08 PM
shmuelyosef

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
As a notable example...I just opened up a Cannondale carbon steerer and found this:

This was not only much smaller than the stem compression zone, it was mounted offset (about 20mm lower than shown here)...providing little support for the steerer tube.

Last edited by shmuelyosef; 12-13-22 at 07:09 PM. Reason: grammar