Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I broke my 2nd derailleur! what am I doing wrong?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

I broke my 2nd derailleur! what am I doing wrong?

Old 04-27-22, 10:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,867 Times in 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Well, it's not the Large Hadron Collider or the Space Shuttle. I'm sure most folks here without Ph.D.s could figure out how to use it, and get their hangers back very close to spec.
Yes you need a Ph.D, oy vey people are nutty. You do need to know how to use it, in fact you can just use the pipe wrench that probably works too. Having seen people who don't know how to use the tool do some damage I say what I said for good reason. No you don't need a Ph.D but you do need to use the tool properly so you don't strip anything or bend it too hard...you get it well I hope I am unsure of your Ph.D qualifications

Originally Posted by dedhed
There is enough information in this thread alone on how to satisfactorily align a hanger with and without a gauge. Or 5 minutes on you tube.
Sometimes I think "Professionals" are a bit too full of themselves.
Yes doing things correctly is full of themselves. Okey dokey.
Old 04-28-22, 06:20 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Yes doing things correctly is full of themselves. Okey dokey.
Thinking or proclaiming it can only be done in a shop setting by a professional, and not correctly by a moderately skilled DIY at home is full of themselves.
Old 04-28-22, 09:48 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by dedhed
Thinking or proclaiming it can only be done in a shop setting by a professional, and not correctly by a moderately skilled DIY at home is full of themselves.
Not saying one cannot do it at home, saying that one must know how to use the tool in order to do it and if you don't know it is best left to someone who does.
Old 04-28-22, 09:56 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,723 Posts
Not saying one cannot do it at home, saying that one must know how to use the tool in order to do it and if you don't know it is best left to someone who does.
Same can be said for a hammer.

Honestly, I doubt the 22 year-old shop "professional" is any better trained than some intuitive home mechanics.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-28-22, 10:16 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Same can be said for a hammer.

Honestly, I doubt the 22 year-old shop "professional" is any better trained than some intuitive home mechanics.
Didn't mention age but I have known some 22ish year olds who are actually really excellent mechanics who have soaked up a lot of knowledge and I have known some folks who are older who still struggle with some more basic stuff. Working at a shop doesn't make one a professional, constantly learning your craft and doing things correctly and learning from mistakes does. I also know some home mechanics who are excellent and could work in a shop and plenty of home mechanics who might want to stick to drinking beer and enjoying the ride.
Old 04-28-22, 10:29 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
In a pinch, I'll use a long solid 10mm axel threaded on in on the back of hanger with lock nuts on both sides then I just bend to position. It's not quite as accurate as the park tool but it done me fine.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 04-28-22, 10:31 AM
smd4

Didn't mention age but I have known some 22ish year olds who are actually really excellent mechanics who have soaked up a lot of knowledge and I have known some folks who are older who still struggle with some more basic stuff. Working at a shop doesn't make one a professional, constantly learning your craft and doing things correctly and learning from mistakes does. I also know some home mechanics who are excellent and could work in a shop and plenty of home mechanics who might want to stick to drinking beer and enjoying the ride.
The point is, the hangar alignment gauge is fairly simple to use, especially after watching a few YouTube tutorials, or asking a few questions here. Could my non-cyclist wife use it if I gave it to her and asked her to? Of course not. But I would think most folks here--especially on this branch of the BF--have at least a modicum of understanding of what they're doing. The tool is meant to make the job easier. And in fact, this is one of the easier specialized tools to use. By design, it's nearly foolproof.

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
In a pinch, I'll use a long solid 10mm axel threaded on in on the back of hanger with lock nuts on both sides then I just bend to position. It's not quite as accurate as the park tool but it done me fine.
Exactly.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-28-22, 10:41 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

The point is, the hangar alignment gauge is fairly simple to use, especially after watching a few YouTube tutorials, or asking a few questions here. Could my non-cyclist wife use it if I gave it to her and asked her to? Of course not. But I would think most folks here--especially on this branch of the BF--have at least a modicum of understanding of what they're doing. The tool is meant to make the job easier. And in fact, this is one of the easier specialized tools to use. By design, it's nearly foolproof.

Exactly.
Having known some folks who did it wrong, I would say it is not fool proof. However I don't think we will agree on this.
Old 04-28-22, 10:43 AM
smd4

Having known some folks who did it wrong, I would say it is not fool proof.
Which is why I wrote "nearly."
Old 04-28-22, 12:25 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
juntjoo any response on detail questions asked. ?