Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tire Pressure increases 5 lbs in one ride

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tire Pressure increases 5 lbs in one ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-22, 09:07 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Dead link... is that a joke?

FWIW: the link in question does seem to work - just not with a secure HTTPS connection. What follows should be the nonsecure (unencrypted) version of the link. However, this site (bikeforums) often seems to convert nonsecure links in comments to the secure version. If the displayed link below begins with "https", cut and paste the link into your browser's URL input area, then delete the "s" from "https" to get the nonsecure version of the link. (Depending on your specific browser and setup, you may or may not get a security warning and/or have to configure your browser to allow nonsecure HTTP connections.)

https://www.smitherequip.com/lit/SE1iPDF1.pdf

I have no "dog in this fight". However, I've noticed previously that some browsers don't handle older versions of HTTPS and/or TLS very well. Unfortunately, and some websites still user older versions of HTTPS and/or TLS, or use nonsecure (HTTP) links. This can sometimes cause people to believe links are invalid/don't work when they are in fact still working links.

In particular, the Firefox browser does not handle older HTTPS and/or TLS very elegantly. I use Firefox and run into this situation on occasion. I suspect that other browsers may handle older versions of HTTPS and/or TLS similarly.

Last edited by Hondo6; 06-04-22 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-04-22, 10:01 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Agreed that measurement error is the biggest unknown, and most likely explanation.
But we do not even HAVE a measurement of temperature, either before or after the ride.
This comes up a lot in the "heat from braking blows tire off rim" threads.

So - temperature MIGHT explain it, but if you want to be sure, you have to run a real experiment multiple times and measure everything... not just rely on intuition and a couple data points.
I come at it differently. Observing that a pressure rise was measured, and that there is no added air during the ride, we are forced to conclude by mass conservation that something is driving pressure up. The idealization (the Ideal Gas law) should apply, within a few percent, for air at the 4-9 bar pressure range. Above about 2 bar, engineers generally apply a compressibility factor, z, so that the law is PV = z nRT. For air in this range, z is nearly 1 and can be ignored. Specifically for air at 300K (23C) and 10 bar z = 0.9974. So, effectively, PV = nRT. Assuming that the tire does not expand much we are left with P = (nR/V) T. The (nR/V) term can be assumed constant as a starting point. Pressure is then related to the absolute temperature proportionally. So if the inital pressure is 100psi, and we end up with 105psi, we might expect the absolute temperature to rise about 5%. Is this reasonable? Assuming we start at 20°C, or 293°K, we'd get to 307.7°K, or 35°C, or 94.4°F. That seems an entirely reasonable temperature for a tire after a ride on hot pavement. In fact, I suspect that this calcuated temperature rise is low, and that the tire does stretch a bit as pressure rises.
Old 06-04-22, 12:24 PM
duffer1960

Bikes: Fred cycles

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
I come at it differently. Observing that a pressure rise was measured, and that there is no added air during the ride, we are forced to conclude by mass conservation that something is driving pressure up. The idealization (the Ideal Gas law) should apply, within a few percent, for air at the 4-9 bar pressure range. Above about 2 bar, engineers generally apply a compressibility factor, z, so that the law is PV = z nRT. For air in this range, z is nearly 1 and can be ignored. Specifically for air at 300K (23C) and 10 bar z = 0.9974. So, effectively, PV = nRT. Assuming that the tire does not expand much we are left with P = (nR/V) T. The (nR/V) term can be assumed constant as a starting point. Pressure is then related to the absolute temperature proportionally. So if the inital pressure is 100psi, and we end up with 105psi, we might expect the absolute temperature to rise about 5%. Is this reasonable? Assuming we start at 20°C, or 293°K, we'd get to 307.7°K, or 35°C, or 94.4°F. That seems an entirely reasonable temperature for a tire after a ride on hot pavement. In fact, I suspect that this calcuated temperature rise is low, and that the tire does stretch a bit as pressure rises.
As pointed out in Post #45, should use absolute pressure in the formula. So, at sea level, start with 114.7 psi. If the end of ride pressure (absolute) is 5 psi greater, that would be 119.7 psi. The calculation becomes 293 * 119.7/114.7 = 305.8 -> 90.9 °F. Reasonable, even more so.

PS -- about 'moles', something that surprised me when I learned it, but maybe shouldn't have, is using different values for Avogadro's Number allows work in different mass units. The number 6.02 x 10^23 is the one learned in intro courses, but engineers might use 6.02 x 10^26 when working in kilograms, 'kg-mols'. Or a different number if working in some other odd units like pounds.

Last edited by duffer1960; 06-04-22 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-04-22, 03:07 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3505 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by duffer1960
So, at sea level, start with 114.7 psi. If the end of ride pressure (absolute) is 5 psi greater, that would be 119.7 psi.
Those are some pretty high pressures!
Old 06-06-22, 06:54 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,927 Times in 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Those are some pretty high pressures!
Remember to subtract the 14.7 psi for sea level pressure to convert absolute pressure back to gauge pressure.

It's higher than I like, which is why I use wider tires so I don't need to pump them up to 100 psi. If I were riding 23-25 tires, I'd probably need the 100 psi to prevent snakebite flats.
Old 06-06-22, 06:58 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3505 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,774 Posts
I was kidding...I think duffer1960's numbers are off about 100 pounds...
Old 06-06-22, 03:13 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I started today's ride with tires at 68F. Ambient temperatures during the 90 minute ride ranges from 77-80F. My tires were 117-120F at the end of the ride. Tar was melting on the chip seal for us non-analytical types.
Old 06-07-22, 06:45 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I started today's ride with tires at 68F. Ambient temperatures during the 90 minute ride ranges from 77-80F. My tires were 117-120F at the end of the ride. Tar was melting on the chip seal for us non-analytical types.
What pressure did you start at?
Old 06-07-22, 07:11 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
No, it's the same as saying you have ONE mole. The point is, if you put the "number" of particles in the ideal gas law like you suggested, you'd get the wrong answer... ie an error.
You do understand equivalencies, don’t you? If one thing is equal to another, it can be substituted for that thing. If you have a certain number of particles, you can use the number of particles in the equation. Of course, you have to change the units on the gas constant to get the right answer but that is trivial.

The discussion, by the way, isn’t about the Ideal Gas Law but Avogadro’s Law which states

equal volumes of all gases, at the same temperature and pressure, have the same number of molecules.
Here’s the original paper in English if you like.

My statement is not incorrect.

Dead link... is that a joke?
No joke. I clicked on the link and it went right to the page. Here’s the link
https://www.smitherequip.com/lit/SE1iPDF1.pdf

From the text of the PDF

High Precision Absolute Pressure Gauges

Series 1500 Gauges pressure elements are capsules up to and including the 50 psia range: 100 psia and above use Bourdon tubes. In the former, pres- sure is applied to the case and is referenced against the evacuated capsule. In the latter, pressure is applied to a Bourdon tube, which is referenced against an evacuated Bourdon.
Available in 14 standard ranges…
You just made up that statistic, right? I understand exaggerating for effect, but something like 3% of US Citizens have STEM degrees, and we're talking about a high school science concept.
Yes, I made up that statistic but it isn’t that far off. Most people don’t understand moles and many…I’d say most…have never been exposed to the idea. Of those who have been exposed to the idea, most don’t remember it.

This is incorrect and you know it. A mole is a number of items; just like a dozen, or a score, or a gross. A mole is an Avogadro's number of something. One mole is not one particle - you are off by 23 orders of magnitude. We both understand this and you're still trying to cover up your misstatement.
It is most certainly not incorrect. Yes, a mole is a number of items but just like a score or a dozen or a gross , all of those are just a short hand for 20, 12, or 144, respectively. No, one mole isn’t equal to on particle. I never said that at all. As I pointed out earlier, Avogadro didn’t even know the definition of “his” number. He used “equivalent amounts”, not even a mass unit. Moles, as a concept, predate Avogadro’s number and was originally used as mass of something.

Well you seem to have concluded that I don't know what I'm talking about. Science people understand what you meant with your sloppy narrative. You and I are not arguing science though, we're arguing language. For reference, I have to explain technical concepts to non-technical people, in peer-reviewed reports - so my attention to correct usage of terminology and proper sentence construction is a skill I've been polishing for a long time.
You seem to be guilty of the same assumption. Just saying “moles of gas” goes over most people’s head. Saying number of particles…even if that number is almost unimaginably large…is easier to understand. I do a lot of explaining of concepts to non-technical people as well. I tend to keep the terminology as simple as possible. If people understand the terminology, I would hope that they can see the value of the idea of keeping things simple.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 06-08-22 at 01:05 AM.