Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Fenders for my 55mm x 700c tires ?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Fenders for my 55mm x 700c tires ?

Old 12-09-22, 01:20 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
better fenders have mounts that break away if anything gets stuck in it
you can also add these

for example you can take a fender stay like this

& push these plastic quick release break-ways on

my front fender had them but not the rear & I found out the hard way when I picked up a stick in my spokes riding the edge of the trail. no disaster, I just came to a skidding stop in the wet dirt

got lucky w/ the broken hanger & was able to move it back into place, somewhat & limp the 3 miles back to my car in a single rear gear

to my pleasant surprise, even the plastic fender went back into place w/o too much persuasion

LBS hooked me up w/ a new rear derailleur & hanger. kept the fender
(yes I know the tires were mounted backwards, my bad)

so I added these things

Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-09-22 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-09-22, 01:36 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 722 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
you can also add these

for example you can take a fender stay like this

& push these plastic quick release break-ways on

my front fender had them but not the rear & I found out the hard way when I picked up a stick in my spokes riding the edge of the trail. no disaster, I just came to a skidding stop in the wet dirt

got lucky w/ the broken hanger & was able to move it back into place, somewhat & limp the 3 miles back to my car in a single rear gear

to my pleasant surprise, even the plastic fender went back into place w/o too much persuasi

LBS hooked me up w/ a new rear derailleur & hanger. kept the fender
(yes I know the tires were mounted backwards, my bad)

so I added these things
Yeah, that is why I stated most good fenders come with them. It sucks that they often don't include one for the rear. I have them there as well.

The fenders that generally do not come with them are metal fenders like the ones sold by Velo Orange. For those the mounts you posted won't work, you need these: https://www.rivbike.com/products/pdw-fender-safety-tabs

Last edited by phughes; 12-09-22 at 01:45 PM.
Likes For phughes: