Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Upgrading my Schwinn

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Upgrading my Schwinn

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-22, 07:14 AM
70x7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Upgrading my Schwinn

I am looking for opinions on what upgrades you would do.

The bike. Schwinn trail wind. Stock and a decent rider

The purpose. I was given this bike for recognition of all the work i do for 70x7. I would prefer a higher end bike as i ride 30 or more miles a day. I also want to be seen riding what is the end goal for many of our clients.

Now what would you all do to keep the over all look of this bike but also lighten it, improve performance and here is the challenge. on a non profit budget, that means cheaply. i plan on modifying many of our bikes to be used as daily drives. the bikes that are donated are mainly beaters. the riders deserve the best we can give them at a reasonable cost. the trail winds are all new but few will get them.

Last edited by cb400bill; 09-07-22 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-07-22, 07:48 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Does yours look like this one?

Old 09-07-22, 08:50 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
About the biggest bang for a buck in making a bike a nicer ride is the tires. However for an urban transportation bike running lightweight tires that are supple will likely increase the rate of flat tires. This is no "upgrade" (never liked that term for a few reasons) IMO.

The smartest thing to do, again only opinion, is to make the bike fit the rider best. Not just the rider's stance/reach/seat height but more the bike's outfitting for its intended use (lights, racks/bags, locks and such). I also suggest doing the maintenance that the bikes need to be as reliable as reasonable.

The non profit I help at makes no bones about their being about keeping the riders on bikes, and not trying to make the bikes what they are not. Andy
Old 09-07-22, 09:52 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Light bikes are light b/c a majority of the parts are lighter than average.
Since bike parts are a lot more expensive piecemeal than when fitted to a bike, thorough upgrades rarely make financial sense.
I agree that making the bike fit the rider - and the use - is probably your best bet rather than an upgrade or lightening as such. Saddle, bar, grips. Gear ratio, maybe even crank length. Pedals, bike shoes.
Old 09-07-22, 10:06 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Is it a Schwinn Tailwind or Trailway?

The Tailwind is an ebike and the Trailway is a hybrid.

Decades ago I went into a bike shop with my Seats Free Spirit and asked the same question, I’ll give you the same advice the older gentleman gave me, “Buy a better bike and don’t waste your money on that bike.”

As tough as it was to hear, it was the truth. I got a better (real) road bike and sold my Sears bike at a garage sale.

John