Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Difference between Shimano cassettes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-22, 02:27 PM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts

How do the following Shimano 8-speed cassettes differ?
Ignore differences in appearance.
CS-HG31, CS-HG41, CS-HG51They are phosphate coated, nickel plated & chrome plated respectively.

Which one lasts longer? More rust resistant? Less wear on chain?
​​​​​
Added
I don't care about appearance, so it is not a factor. Same goes for weight.Available gear ratios are fine.That leaves durability, rust resistance & chain wear. Unless you can think of other factors.
Please do not derail the thread.

Last edited by anga; 11-05-22 at 05:41 AM.
Old 11-04-22, 02:49 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Why ignore differences in appearance? I think that's probably the main thing other than possibly weight if you are a weight weenie. Along with the possibility they don't offer some gear combos or ranges in all of them.

Likely they'll all wear about the same. If there are weight differences, then that'll be difference in material used. Lighter usually being the higher tier product. .

More rust resistant? Less wear on chain?
All of that is going to depend on factors unique to you.
Old 11-04-22, 03:01 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
+1

Differences are more about weight and cosmetics, rather than wear.

Ironically, more expensive cassettes often have shorter lives owing to lighter (softer) materials used.

As for rust resistance, the plating or other surface treatment effectively resists rust except for wear zones which expose the base metal, Here they act like railroad tracks which don't rust al long they are used regularly. So, you'll be good with any of the options as long as you don't leave the bike sitting out in the rain unused.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-04-22, 03:17 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 232 Posts
In prior generations, lower end had clusters were riveted together and others had long allen screws. Don't know if this has changed.
Old 11-04-22, 04:28 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Cassettes on bikes that are used often as long as the chains are well lubricated almost never rust. The lube from the chain coats the cogs of the cassette inhibiting rust. Apart from that, more expensive cassettes may use various dodges to reduce weight, things like alloy carriers with several cassette cogs riveted to them, titanium cogs for the larger sizes, even aluminum alloy cogs for the biggest sizes. Usually, cassettes are designed to last on average about the same time. Lightweight components cost a whole lot more, but they have a reasonable lifespan compared to less expensive heavier components. Nobody would spend twice or 3 times as much for something that wears out in half the time

Last edited by alcjphil; 11-04-22 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-04-22, 04:52 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I use a dry lube, so I generally buy nickel plated cassettes. I like the look and they are easy to clean; personal preference.

I would think that a true chrome plated, or hard chrome plated, cassette might be better, but I'm not sure if that chrome plating is much different than the nickel ones I buy. I tend to stay away from the black cassettes, but if I used a wet lube, I'd probably go that route. Why buy silver when it will be black in a few hundred miles.

I don't think there is enough of a difference in durability or corrosion resistance between them to matter.

John
Old 11-04-22, 04:55 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Cassettes on bikes that are used often as long as the chains are well lubricated almost never rust. The lube from the chain coats the cogs of the cassette inhibiting rust. Apart from that, more expensive cassettes may use various dodges to reduce weight, things like alloy carriers with several cassette cogs riveted to them, titanium cogs for the larger sizes, even aluminum alloy cogs for the biggest sizes. Usually, cassettes are designed to last on average about the same time. Lightweight components cost a whole lot more, but they have a reasonable lifespan compared to less expensive heavier components. Nobody would spend twice or 3 times as much for something that wears out in half the time
Cassettes cogs are either steel or Ti, not aluminum alloy. Aluminum alloy would wear out super quickly against a steel chain. The vast majority of cassette cogs are steel. Dura-Ace cassette cogs are Ti and yes, they cost twice as much and wear out in half the time. Personally I think it's pretty silly to buy a DA cassette to save a minuscule amount of weight, but there are plenty of people who think it's worth it.
Old 11-04-22, 05:23 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Cassettes cogs are either steel or Ti, not aluminum alloy. Aluminum alloy would wear out super quickly against a steel chain. .
You are correct, but there have been cassette/ freewheel cogs that have used aluminum alloy big cogs to save weight. The larger the big cog the slower it wears out considering how seldom it is used. Aluminum alloy cassette/ cogs have often been used over the years
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 11-04-22, 06:13 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Cassettes cogs are either steel or Ti, not aluminum alloy. Aluminum alloy would wear out super quickly against a steel chain. The vast majority of cassette cogs are steel. Dura-Ace cassette cogs are Ti and yes, they cost twice as much and wear out in half the time. Personally I think it's pretty silly to buy a DA cassette to save a minuscule amount of weight, but there are plenty of people who think it's worth it.
Not all steel is the same. Likewise with other alloys.

I haven't been super impressed with Shimano cassette longevity. But, I don't know the solution either.

SRAM RED is supposed to make tough cassettes. But, they aren't available in 8-speed. And they are MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE than the cassettes you have listed above.

As far as the choice between CS-HG31, CS-HG41, CS-HG51. I'd tend towards the higher end, but overall I'd choose the cassette by price, availability and gearing.
Old 11-04-22, 06:45 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Why ignore differences in appearance?
Exactly!

CS-HG31 - Black, $17: Shimano Altus CS-HG31 Cassette (Black) (8 Speed) (Shimano/SRAM) (11-30T) - Performance Bicycle (performancebike.com)
CS-HG41 - Matte grey, $23: Shimano CS-HG41 Cassette (Silver) (8 Speed) (Shimano/SRAM) (11-30T) - Performance Bicycle (performancebike.com)
CS-HG51 - Silver, $22: Shimano Alivio CS-HG51 Cassette (Silver) (8 Speed) (Shimano/SRAM) (11-28T) - Performance Bicycle (performancebike.com)

For a $6 difference I would not worry about anything else other than gearing and color. I doubt anyone who rides an 8 speed cassette is a weight weenie, at least not with respect to the bike that cassette is on.
Old 11-04-22, 06:57 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Not all steel is the same. Likewise with other alloys.

I haven't been super impressed with Shimano cassette longevity. But, I don't know the solution either.
This is one solution: Prestacycle UniBlock Cassette | 11-Speed Shimano / SRAM /Campagnolo for HG 11 Freehub - Prestacycle

But only affordable compared to Dura-Ace.
Old 11-04-22, 06:58 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
You are correct, but there have been cassette/ freewheel cogs that have used aluminum alloy big cogs to save weight.
There are still cassettes made today that use alloy large cogs:

https://www.microshift.com/models/cs-h113-11-46t/

https://www.jensonusa.com/Sunrace-CS...Speed-Cassette
Old 11-04-22, 07:08 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Exactly!

CS-HG31 - Black, $17: Shimano Altus CS-HG31 Cassette (Black) (8 Speed) (Shimano/SRAM) (11-30T) - Performance Bicycle (performancebike.com)
CS-HG41 - Matte grey, $23: Shimano CS-HG41 Cassette (Silver) (8 Speed) (Shimano/SRAM) (11-30T) - Performance Bicycle (performancebike.com)
CS-HG51 - Silver, $22: Shimano Alivio CS-HG51 Cassette (Silver) (8 Speed) (Shimano/SRAM) (11-28T) - Performance Bicycle (performancebike.com)

For a $6 difference I would not worry about anything else other than gearing and color. I doubt anyone who rides an 8 speed cassette is a weight weenie, at least not with respect to the bike that cassette is on.
For that price, I wouldn't worry about it wearing out, LOL! Compare any of these with an 11-speed cassette.
Old 11-04-22, 07:16 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Compare any of these with an 11-speed cassette.
Well, for the first time since the COVID endemic began, 11-speed Ultegra cassettes are now < $70.
Old 11-04-22, 07:18 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

You are correct, but there have been cassette/ freewheel cogs that have used aluminum alloy big cogs to save weight. The larger the big cog the slower it wears out considering how seldom it is used. Aluminum alloy cassette/ cogs have often been used over the years
Originally Posted by Hondo6
Well, OK. A 50T cog will take longer to wear out, but not just because it is seldom used. It makes sense that a 50T cog might be alloy for the same reason a 50T large ring would be. The more teeth on a gear, the more the load is spread out vs. say the 11T cog on a cassette.

I doubt you will find a road cassette with an alloy large cog.
Old 11-04-22, 07:30 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Well, I doubt you will find a road cassette with an alloy large cog.
Miche makes them for Shimano and Campagnolo, and I'm looking at the 30-tooth alu cog right now. This cog is very slick and very light. All things being equal, a 30 tooth cog should wear at 1/3 the rate of a 10.

If you replace your chains at no more than 0.75%, or 3-4 chains for every cassette, the alu cogs should last a long time.
Old 11-04-22, 07:33 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
That one is listed as Chromoly. That would be either 4130 or 4140 steel. It should be a solid alloy, but it isn't as hard as can be. I'd hope most cassettes would be a version of chromoly, but I rarely see it specified, so perhaps not.

The SRAM Red
https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/cs-xg-1190-a2

Is listed as being made out of heat-treated high grade tool steel. I don't see it listed on the 12 speed, but I assume it is similar. That is a big class of metals, but it has about twice the carbon content of the chromoly, and would be what would be used to cut chromoly. Heat treating is critical with a fine line between toughness and brittleness.
Old 11-04-22, 07:34 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
I doubt you will find a road cassette with an alloy large cog.
Ahem:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403097074486

https://www.cycletaiwan.com/oarsm-ha...ette-road.html

Not something I'd be interested in buying. But they do seem to exist.

Last edited by Hondo6; 11-04-22 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-04-22, 07:37 PM
anga

Thanks guys.
I don't care about appearance, so it is not a factor. Same goes for weight.
Available gear ratios are fine.
That leaves durability, rust resistance & chain wear. Unless you can think of other factors.
​​​​​
Old 11-04-22, 07:43 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by Hondo6
Ahem:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403097074486

https://www.cycletaiwan.com/oarsm-ha...ette-road.html

Not something I'd be interested in buying. But they do seem to exist.
What can I say? A fool and their money are soon parted?
Old 11-04-22, 10:52 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
FWIW EDCO cassettes last a long time, are very reasonably light in their price class & won't bite into the freehub body...And given the proper lock ring you can run 11 speed road on the standard Shimano compatible 8,9,10 speed freehub. Potentially saving you the cost of a wheel build should you find yourself with 11 speed shifters, derailleurs but no budget for wheels. The upgrade path is a no-brainer.

The smaller the front chainring, the higher the chain tension is. Aluminum freehub bodies just don't stand much of a chance against the individual skinny cogs of modern cassettes. Especially against strong riders. If you can't have a Titanium or steel HG freehub body a monoblock cassette really is a smart way to go unless you have a ready supply of replacement freehubs kicking around.

Shimano's failure to bundle cogs on the smaller half of the cassette is reprehensible.

High end hubs cost many, many, hundreds of dollars. Why waste a perfectly good wheel build or expensive hub with a self destructive, poorly designed, failure causing cassette?

Cassettes of monoblock design from any manufacturer beat the poorly crafted, pizza cutter design of ShimaNO any time, anywhere. It's a shame most people just accept aluminum freehub bodies are disposable. They don't have to be.

To put it plainly: If you have a nice hub, why waste money on anything other than a monoblock?

That being said: You've got 8 speed. None of what I typed is relevant here. 8 speed hubs are held together with pins/rivets, etc...to spread the load evenly over a large area. You won't have freehub bite problems. Get what's most readily available & the range you like.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 11-04-22, 11:23 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
I like HG51 or HG50 11-28, it does not have 3t jump in the middle, only 2t. Remove 11 and 13, add a top position 13 and 34 in the end and you get a nice 8s touring cassette: 13-15-17-19-21-24-28-34.
Old 11-05-22, 01:09 AM
anga

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Miche makes them for Shimano and Campagnolo, and I'm looking at the 30-tooth alu cog right now.
Where are these Miche cogs available? Out-of-stock everywhere I checked.
Prefer steel though.
Old 11-05-22, 06:50 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by base2
The smaller the front chainring, the higher the chain tension is. Aluminum freehub bodies just don't stand much of a chance against the individual skinny cogs of modern cassettes. Especially against strong riders. If you can't have a Titanium or steel HG freehub body a monoblock cassette really is a smart way to go unless you have a ready supply of replacement freehubs kicking around.
I have never been a fan of boutique hubs with alloy freehubs. The only hubs I have built wheels with are Shimano, White Industries and Bitex. Yes, Bitex hubs have an alloy freehub, however they have anti-bite splines. That being said, my preference are Shimano hubs as I don't like the noise level of the WI or Bitex freehubs. The trouble with Shimano is that if you want to build with a spoke count other than 32 or 36, you will have to go with Dura-Ace. Not to mention it doesn't appear Shimano makes any rim brake hubs anymore, so you have to look for new/old stock.
Old 11-05-22, 07:24 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
That one is listed as Chromoly. That would be either 4130 or 4140 steel. It should be a solid alloy, but it isn't as hard as can be. I'd hope most cassettes would be a version of chromoly, but I rarely see it specified, so perhaps not.

The SRAM Red
https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/cs-xg-1190-a2

Is listed as being made out of heat-treated high grade tool steel. I don't see it listed on the 12 speed, but I assume it is similar. That is a big class of metals, but it has about twice the carbon content of the chromoly, and would be what would be used to cut chromoly. Heat treating is critical with a fine line between toughness and brittleness.
There are fully alloy cassettes out there. Very weight weenieish though
https://www.recon-harry.com.tw/products_detail/2/3/7

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.