Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Beam Rack

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-20, 08:53 AM
bikeboy100

Bikes: 1966 Western Flyer Cosmic Flyer, 1975 Raleigh Record, BSA 10 Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beam Rack

Anyone here using these? I am thinking of buying one because it would be easy to change between my two 10 speed bikes. I would like one that has a removable bag on it, too. I've been looking at Topeak, but they seem expensive......at least to me. What are some other options? I see some that are straight and some that have a bend to them. I would think the bend would be necessary?
Old 01-30-20, 09:35 AM
bikeboy100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
crappy...it requires you to clamp very hard. damage carbon post. it swings around and flex if you ride hard. generally suck. and you need alot of exposed seat tube. on an old ten speed, might not have enough.
It's good to hear this critique. Although, I don't ride hard and I have no carbon post. lol That being said, which is worse or better.....the quick clamp or the style with bolts?
Old 01-30-20, 09:56 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I have a topeak MTX beam rack with the side frames and an MTX trunkbag. They have different models for different types/sizes of bikes, so you may or may not need a bend depending on the size of your bike. It's fine for what it is, but if you're going to be carrying a lot of stuff a touring type rack or even an arkel randonneur rack will be lighter and more stable, and if you are only occasionally going to carry things, a bikepacking saddle bag would be a much lighter and cheaper option. So the use-cases for the beam rack are pretty limited in my experience. I used mine a lot when I first got it, but I don't think I've used it at all in several years.
Old 01-30-20, 09:59 AM
bikeboy100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I have a topeak MTX beam rack with the side frames and an MTX trunkbag. They have different models for different types/sizes of bikes, so you may or may not need a bend depending on the size of your bike. It's fine for what it is, but if you're going to be carrying a lot of stuff a touring type rack or even an arkel randonneur rack will be lighter and more stable, and if you are only occasionally going to carry things, a bikepacking saddle bag would be a much lighter and cheaper option. So the use-cases for the beam rack are pretty limited in my experience. I used mine a lot when I first got it, but I don't think I've used it at all in several years.
I may not use it very much.....but I guess you never know. What is an example of a Bikepacking Saddle Bag?
Old 01-30-20, 10:10 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Likes For Elvo:
Old 01-30-20, 10:12 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeboy100
I may not use it very much.....but I guess you never know. What is an example of a Bikepacking Saddle Bag?
topeak backloader is one example. There are a bunch on the market. You can get them from aliexpress for around twenty dollars.
Old 01-30-20, 10:15 AM
bikeboy100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Now, a smaller version of that might be just what I need! I have an upcoming 70 mile trail ride in one day. I don't need to carry much, but I like that idea.
Old 01-30-20, 12:52 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
I like the beam rack as it shields the rear debris from kicking up. The large saddle bags as pictured above may or may not be always affixed to the bicycle, which then you'd either deal with the kick up mess or put a fender on. Having one do both jobs is my preference. YMMV
Old 01-30-20, 01:31 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
crappy...it requires you to clamp very hard. damage carbon post. it swings around and flex if you ride hard. generally suck. and you need alot of exposed seat tube. on an old ten speed, might not have enough.
Most of this is just not true. The only part that is true is about the amount of seatpost toy need for the clamp. And if you don't have enough seatpost exposed, then your frame is probably to big for you
Likes For leob1:
Old 01-30-20, 02:27 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
regardless of which rack you choose, I like the idea of each bike having their own rack, comparable with a single trunk bag, that can clip into both. that seems really smart *& convenient!