Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Time to diversify.

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Time to diversify.

Old 02-01-21, 07:38 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Not necessarily a recumbent issue; but you don't need FAT (3-5 inch wide) tires to ride gravel. Most MTBs with 1.75-2.1" tires do gravel just fine. You don't need the fatties until you get into deeper snow or soft sand; and even then there's a limit to how much benefit they have.

PS this is a dead thread. OP has obviously moved on.
Old 02-01-21, 09:58 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Do they work in snow? There are still 28 days of winter left in Nebraska.
Old 02-01-21, 10:21 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Back when I lived in town, I used to cycle-commute year around. Mostly on an upright. Even my mountain bike had problems when the snow got more than a couple of inches deep. Bents were fair-weather only.

Here in Michigan, we hope the groundhog sees his shadow so there's ONLY 6 more weeks of winter. Ice fishing on inland lakes usually runs until the end of March, and it's hard to define "spring" to be something before ice-out happens.
Old 02-01-21, 11:32 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Do they work in snow? There are still 28 days of winter left in Nebraska.
Can you promise me that we only have 28 days of winter left?? That would be fantastic, but I see there is 44 days left till spring.
Old 02-03-21, 10:59 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
I love my recumbents but I hate to ride them on slippery surfaces such as mud, loose sand/gravel or maybe even snow. Mainly because of the balance. I had two crashes on mud patches because I saw them too late and was not able to stabilize with my legs in time. On an upright bike you can use your legs as counter weight if you start sliding. At least to a certain degree. And with a straight stretched leg on an upright bike you have a better chance and more strength than with a bent leg on a recumbent. Fortunately we don't have snow where I live now. And I avoid gravel where I can and try to ride on pavement only. I really only ride recumbents because of my back problems. They work much better for my back than any upright bike. I am not doing it for speed. Just for comfort. And if we would have snow here in winter I would get a trike for winter to be saver on three wheels.
Old 02-04-21, 10:26 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Harhir
I love my recumbents but I hate to ride them on slippery surfaces such as mud, loose sand/gravel or maybe even snow. Mainly because of the balance. I had two crashes on mud patches because I saw them too late and was not able to stabilize with my legs in time. On an upright bike you can use your legs as counter weight if you start sliding. At least to a certain degree. And with a straight stretched leg on an upright bike you have a better chance and more strength than with a bent leg on a recumbent. Fortunately we don't have snow where I live now. And I avoid gravel where I can and try to ride on pavement only. I really only ride recumbents because of my back problems. They work much better for my back than any upright bike. I am not doing it for speed. Just for comfort. And if we would have snow here in winter I would get a trike for winter to be saver on three wheels.
Slick road surface's will quickly put any 2 wheel bike on the ground so fast you cant do anything about it, recumbent or DF it doesnt matter. Trikes under those conditions are much safer.
Old 02-10-21, 06:38 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Skulking
Have you considered that a large amount of the push-back you receive around here isn't actually anti-bent, but rather people who are tired of you pushing your religion on everyone completely unsolicited?
I can resonate with this. I have a high school friend, who after years of being a fat slug, finally decided to do something about it and convert to a whole-foods, plant-based lifestyle. I must say that he's very successful at it, but MAN what a pain in the arse he is about it. Constant bragging and holier-than-thou does not even begin to tell the story. So I can see why Rydabent's evangelism can really bug people. I for one am not anti-recumbent, having owned a few myself, but I have yet to find one that speaks to me.
Old 02-10-21, 09:55 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I took Prof. David Wilson's recumbent for a spin 1976. Knew right away that bike was the real deal; that had it been equipped with race gear and wheels, it would be fine ride. (Also caught up to him and rode with him several times. He as not slow. I was faster because I was a mid 20s in form racer and he was middle aged.) But that recumbent lacked on feature that I live for. The dance. (Out of the saddle climbing. My happy place.) Gotta solve that or I have to become unable to ride DFs for me to switch.

Oh, and ever since that ride I have known that a small front wheeled, short wheelbase under the knees steerer was it. I don't see a lot of those.
Mine is a 559 rear, 406 front and it took some getting used to the twitchiness of the steering, but now, I see it as being agile. I only wish it were under-seat steering (USS) instead of a tiller, but I don't care enough to try to modify it.

Velos are an entire different beast of recumbent, and I love mine...unless I'm climbing a big hill, since it does weigh 80 lbs.
Old 02-19-21, 04:37 AM
Bent Bill

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2 Giant Frankenbike Trek Utopia Canondale 3.0 Sun Easy Racer Tadpole Schwinn Tandem Cheap Unicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Well I can speak with experience about BENTS
I have ridden them quite a bit and no matter what style of a bent a person rides
They all have at least one sucky issue or more !
LWBs and SWBs are not stable at slower speeds and riding uphill is a real pain

Tadpole bents have numerous issues
1. I dont like being on eye level with a German Shepherd

2. I dont like being on eye level with the hubcaps of a 4x4 pickup

3. front end width on a tadpole is not conducive to narrow spaces such as a lot of mups

4. visibility is limited both for a rider or a car driver

5. Its real hard to jump a curb or bail off if need be (actually more or less impossible)

6. All bents are a PITA to transport in or on a vehicle compared to a "DF"

And last but not least there are a lot of complaints over on BentRideronline.com
About sore necks ,sore sweaty backs sore butts and numb arms just like on a DF bike
You must just skip past them posts over there ?
Bents are not the living room "sofa" for everybody contrary to what some people claim

I could go on and on but I think I made a few points
Likes For Bent Bill:
Old 02-21-21, 12:03 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Bent Bill
Well I can speak with experience about BENTS
I have ridden them quite a bit and no matter what style of a bent a person rides
They all have at least one sucky issue or more !
LWBs and SWBs are not stable at slower speeds and riding uphill is a real pain

Tadpole bents have numerous issues
1. I dont like being on eye level with a German Shepherd

2. I dont like being on eye level with the hubcaps of a 4x4 pickup

3. front end width on a tadpole is not conducive to narrow spaces such as a lot of mups

4. visibility is limited both for a rider or a car driver

5. Its real hard to jump a curb or bail off if need be (actually more or less impossible)

6. All bents are a PITA to transport in or on a vehicle compared to a "DF"

And last but not least there are a lot of complaints over on BentRideronline.com
About sore necks ,sore sweaty backs sore butts and numb arms just like on a DF bike
You must just skip past them posts over there ?
Bents are not the living room "sofa" for everybody contrary to what some people claim

I could go on and on but I think I made a few points
Having ridden a LWB bent since 2005 I can tell you that I can ride an almost perfect straight line at 3 or 4 mph. BTW pickups like mine haul any kind of a bike or trike quite well.
Old 02-21-21, 01:49 PM
Bent Bill

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2 Giant Frankenbike Trek Utopia Canondale 3.0 Sun Easy Racer Tadpole Schwinn Tandem Cheap Unicycle

Originally Posted by rydabent
Having ridden a LWB bent since 2005 I can tell you that I can ride an almost perfect straight line at 3 or 4 mph. BTW pickups like mine haul any kind of a bike or trike quite well.
Lol !
Yeah and I can more or less track stand at 0.5 mph while waiting for traffic

how many Tadpoles or LWB bikes can you get on a Camaro , Mustang, or a Toyota Camry ?
, A lot more people own cars than P.U. trucks
P.U. trucks you also need either a strong back or ramps to load a Tadpole or LWB in

For a sit up bike or a drop bar bike all someone needs is a $ 50.00 bike rack that will work on just about any car
and it will haul more than one and they wont strain there back loading a 20 pound bike unlike trying to load a 45 pound recumbent

I dont have anything against Recumbents
I own a Cat Trike Dumont and a LWB Sun EZ Sport

But they are not superior to a regular bike and they are not more advanced/modern !
Old 02-22-21, 12:08 PM
rydabent
Banned

Lol !

how many Tadpoles or LWB bikes can you get on a Camaro , Mustang, or a Toyota Camry ?
, A lot more people own cars than P.U. trucks
P.U. trucks you also need either a strong back or ramps to load a Tadpole or LWB in

For a sit up bike or a drop bar bike all someone needs is a $ 50.00 bike rack that will work on just about any car
and it will haul more than one and they wont strain there back loading a 20 pound bike unlike trying to load a 45 pound recumbent

I dont have anything against Recumbents
I own a Cat Trike Dumont and a LWB Sun EZ Sport

But they are not superior to a regular bike and they are not more advanced/modern !
The number one selling vehicle in the US is a pickup, and I think 2 and 3 might be too.

Im 82 and lift my tadpole trike into the bed with no problem at all.
Old 02-23-21, 04:19 AM
Bent Bill

The number one selling vehicle in the US is a pickup, and I think 2 and 3 might be too.

Im 82 and lift my tadpole trike into the bed with no problem at all.
Im done
its a waste of time trying to rationally discuss this
Likes For Bent Bill:
Old 03-11-21, 03:00 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
Cool, ^^^this guy is finally right about something in this thread!

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/08/pick...s-of-2020.html
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 03-11-21, 07:12 PM
BlazingPedals

Lol !
It's all what's important to you. I am only good down to 3.5-4 mph, but OTOH if I have to stop, I don't have to get off my seat to put a foot (or hand) down.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 03-15-21, 08:38 AM
rydabent
Banned

And on a trike I can do a track stand and never unclip for as long as it takes. That is one reason that if you have several different types of bikes, a trike should be one of them. Starting and stopping while riding around town becomes very easy, since there is no clipping in and out at every stop. No wobbling around on startup that can make drivers nervous, while you are scratching around trying to get clipped in.
Old 03-16-21, 12:13 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
And on a trike I can do a track stand and never unclip for as long as it takes. That is one reason that if you have several different types of bikes, a trike should be one of them. Starting and stopping while riding around town becomes very easy, since there is no clipping in and out at every stop. No wobbling around on startup that can make drivers nervous, while you are scratching around trying to get clipped in.
You could accomplish the same thing with training wheels. They would be cheaper and lighter than a trike, and you wouldn't be at eye level with wheels of cars.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-17-21, 09:36 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by HD3andMe
This is one of your common fantasies.

The truth is that for most normal folks with any semblance of coordination, starting and stopping on a normal bike is very easy.

The truth is that for most normal folks with any semblance of coordination, there is no wobbling on startup and no "scratching around trying to get clipped in.

Many of those same normal folks can also trackstand and never unclip for as long as it takes the light to turn.

Just the facts...
You can say that, but just watch the larger percentage of DF cyclist. They scratch and wobble a large part of the time on startup.

Last edited by rydabent; 04-26-21 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-17-21, 08:25 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
What you may have recalled is not the "Larger percentage" of normal riders.
I guess if he knows one other rider, and both he and that other rider have problems clipping in, that qualifies as a "large percentage."
Old 03-18-21, 03:08 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I guess if he knows one other rider, and both he and that other rider have problems clipping in, that qualifies as a "large percentage."
Nope no problem on my part. I just sit down on my trike, and while sitting still I clip in, the pedals are right in front of me. Unless I stop at a shop to run and errand, I can stay clipped in the whole ride.

BTW a couple of years ago on a ride of silence with a lot of DF riders I became aware of all the scratching around trying to get clipped in, being only a short distance away from their BBs.
Old 03-21-21, 05:37 PM
FREEBIRD1

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 106 Posts
I have a tadpole trike and a couple of SWB bents, I miss the maneuverability height and general all purpose use of the DF bikes, because of accidents I cannot afford another crash off one of them. I think I have been on borrowed time on the SWB's, they are fast, and have gotten squirrely a few times at speed, and I stay off them as well. The trike is definitely safer as far as falls, but I don't get them over 12-15 MPH, I can see how you could easily flip one at high speeds, and I would never ride one in town because of the visibility.
Old 03-26-21, 09:08 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by FREEBIRD1
I have a tadpole trike and a couple of SWB bents, I miss the maneuverability height and general all purpose use of the DF bikes, because of accidents I cannot afford another crash off one of them. I think I have been on borrowed time on the SWB's, they are fast, and have gotten squirrely a few times at speed, and I stay off them as well. The trike is definitely safer as far as falls, but I don't get them over 12-15 MPH, I can see how you could easily flip one at high speeds, and I would never ride one in town because of the visibility.
I have both a LWB bent and a trike. In town is exactly where I ride the trike. We have 130 miles of hard surface trails in Lincoln. The LWB bent goes out of town.
Old 03-28-21, 02:11 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I've ridden a recumbent trike coast-to-coast on the Southern Tier. I don't regret that as the ride that I chose, but everything comes with tradeoffs.

- Comfort: Sure, my wrists and shoulders had it easy. But I had to hold my neck forward, which was a strain, and the buckles that tensioned the seatback eventually dug into my spine, creating a painful growth (this was specific to my model of trike, and I eventually dealt with it by adding some foam).
- Speed: A trike is slower. Go ahead and fight me on this. If you've got a long day ahead and are chasing the sunset from the word go, even on tour, that makes a difference.
- Navigability: In some places—Arizona and Mississippi especially—there was just no good place to ride because the shoulders are narrow and every road seems to have sleeping policemen. In Arizona, I either had to take the lane or carefully straddle the sleeping policemen with my left front wheel on one side and my rear wheel on the other. This was nerve-wracking, for hours at a time. In other places, I was just taking up more road width where it wasn't really available.
- Cargo capacity: I was touring pretty light, and could get everything into two conventional panniers (although this played hell with downhill handling). If I had wanted to carry more, it would have been a problem.
Old 03-29-21, 10:10 AM
rydabent
Banned

Well it is rather so. About 3 years ago I participated in a ride of silence, riding my trike. With no talking and being a low rider, I noticed all the scratching around getting clipped in by DF riders. It was simply reality.
Old 03-29-21, 10:10 AM
rydabent
Banned

Well it is rather so. About 3 years ago I participated in a ride of silence, riding my trike. With no talking and being a low rider, I noticed all the scratching around getting clipped in by DF riders. It was simply reality.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.