Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What bar tape to get?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What bar tape to get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-21, 07:47 PM
scottydonald

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
What bar tape to get?

I own a Cervelo S Series bike which currently has the standard Cervelo bar tape on it and I am not a fan. I am currently living in Houston Texas so its hot and humid so I am really struggling with a slipping grip when riding on the back of the hoods(ramps) in chill mode. I don't have tape on the tops and happy with that and don't slip there. I don't wear loves and don't think I ever will.

I have narrowed it down to -

SupaCaz Super Sticky Kush Classic
Lizard Skins DSP V2
Enve Tape
Most Superlight 3mm tape

I am leaning towards the Most tape but it seems to have the least reviews. Any thoughts or recommendations from anyone here?
Old 07-04-21, 08:39 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I'm a non-glove person and I'm a fan of Bontrager GrippyTack.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-04-21, 09:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I hate anything that feels tacky but my bar tape needs replacing and it's summer. Glad someone had the excellent timing to ask right when I needed to know. 🙂
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-04-21, 09:18 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
The Lizard Skins DSP tape is great up right until the tape falls apart, which in my experience is about 2 months. I like Fizik Vento Solocush Tacky for its durability, thickness is about perfect, and the tackiness is about perfect for riding without gloves, but it is really pricey and it seems to be out-of-stock everywhere this year. I want to try some of the Jagwire Pro Bar Tape as it looks like the now discontinued Fizik Endurance tacky tape that I loved, but I haven't been able to get some yet.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 07-04-21, 09:49 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked 1,626 Times in 1,044 Posts
Ya can go 10 Yards or 10 Feet. When wrapping over old bar tape I use...

Franklin Sports Black Bat Tape - 10 Yards

12 USD
Old 07-04-21, 10:49 PM
Nubie

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Diverge Carbon Comp, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2020 Specialized Creo Expert

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I like the Supacaz, I now have it on both my bikes. The Lizard Skins only lasted about 3 months before it started to peel and fray, which is odd because I’ve never had that happen before with any bar tape. The Supacaz comes in a ton of colors and is forgiving enough that even a novice like myself could wrap it.
Likes For Nubie:
Old 07-04-21, 10:59 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I like Arundel Synth Gecko for the utilitarian aspects. It's grippy without feeling sticky. It doesn't need adhesive, so it can be removed, washed and rewrapped indefinitely, as long as it's not cut (it is somewhat vulnerable to cutting when wrapped around brake/shifter mechanisms, and from bar end plugs). But it looks kinda meaty, like sausages, and comes only in cartoon colors, so it's not everyone's cuppa tea. I like it as my trial bar wrap when I'm setting up a bike. After I'm satisfied with the setup I'll switch to another bar wrap and save the Synth Gecko for the next project.

I also have some Arundel Rubber Gecko, which has a shallow diamond/file pattern and feels as grippy as Synth Gecko, but looks more subdued. And it uses the familiar adhesive backing. And some other Arundel wraps. Haven't tried 'em yet, but will soon after I finish tweaking the setup on a couple of bikes.

Disclaimer: Arundel is a hometown business here in Fort Worth so I buy their stuff when it suits me. I have no other connection with them and don't even personally know any of those folks. But it's commonly available in our LBSs.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-05-21, 02:17 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,988 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
I like Fizik Vento Solocush Tacky for its durability, thickness is about perfect, and the tackiness is about perfect for riding without gloves, but it is really pricey.

I find this a pita to wrap. At least the 2.7 mm is. It was also a bit short for my 440 bars. It does feel quite nice though.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-05-21, 06:44 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
Anyone try Burgh tape?
Old 07-05-21, 08:56 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
The Fabric Hex tape is very good, though now hard to find (especially in all black). I think but not positive, that their Knurl tape is the same stuff with a slightly different texture.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 07-05-21, 10:19 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3132 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by scottydonald
I own a Cervelo S Series bike which currently has the standard Cervelo bar tape on it and I am not a fan. I am currently living in Houston Texas so its hot and humid so I am really struggling with a slipping grip when riding on the back of the hoods(ramps) in chill mode. I don't have tape on the tops and happy with that and don't slip there. I don't wear loves and don't think I ever will.

I have narrowed it down to -

SupaCaz Super Sticky Kush Classic
Lizard Skins DSP V2
Enve Tape
Most Superlight 3mm tape

I am leaning towards the Most tape but it seems to have the least reviews. Any thoughts or recommendations from anyone here?
If the tape is non-absorbent, it needs either raised texture to provide draining and prevent filming, or it needs that grippy, rubber-like surface feel. Lizardskins DSP has both, and is the best wet performer I’ve used. However, I’d not recommend it in white, nor would I recommend it for heavy use; I was pretty much getting a summer and spring out of them before changing them out, and that was in a multi-bike rotation, so folks doing a lot of time on one bike would see even less, no doubt.

I still use DSP on my winter/ spring rig— so always gloved— because it’s very plush and cozy, great for cold weather, but moved to Supacaz Bling tape and Ciclovation Halo, both of which are textured and non-tacky, for the other bikes, which are usually used gloved but occasionally bare-handed. I can recommend both, but especially Supacaz, which I’ve used for many miles, in all weather, and have not one complaint with. The Ciclovation only went on this year, but so far, so good, and moving around on it in the rain last week felt sure and comfidence inspiring, but I was open-finger gloved.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 07-05-21, 12:48 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1940 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
The Fabric Hex tape is very good, though now hard to find (especially in all black). I think but not positive, that their Knurl tape is the same stuff with a slightly different texture.
I have had great experience with Fabric Knurl or this slightly cheaper alternative (which is currently on my bike):

Amazon.com : Profile Designs Drive Tape, Electric Blue : Sports & Outdoors
Old 07-05-21, 06:46 PM
scottydonald

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
thank you everyone for the replies. seems tape is very individual and lots of companies making it I have never heard of.

I have found the Fizik tape in numerous places and it seems to now be on the list now from recommendations but one mentioning wrapping it is not the easiest.

I am leaning towards the SupaCaz but I find it strange there is no reviews from here online about the Most tape since it comes on a Pinarello.
Old 07-06-21, 09:23 AM
RandomDesign

Bikes: 2021 BMC Teammachine SLR Three

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 20 Posts
I've been very happy with my SupaCaz Super Sticky Kush tape. I'd heard good things about them and decided to go for it as they had a black/gold combo that went well with my BMC's colors. It was easy to wrap on my Aerofly handlebars and has been comfortable so far both with and without gloves.
Old 07-06-21, 05:28 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 1,007 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I'm a non-glove person and I'm a fan of Bontrager GrippyTack.

Yep, this is wonderful stuff.