Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Change rear wheel size on a terra trike

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 10-21-21, 04:41 PM
Waterwings

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Would there need to be a chain length adjustment to go to a larger wheel size on the rear single? Thanks
Old 10-21-21, 05:08 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,500 Times in 3,345 Posts
Originally Posted by Waterwings
Would there need to be a chain length adjustment to go to a larger wheel size on the rear single? Thanks
Probably no change to the chain.

The chain length would be dependent on the position of the hub in the dropout. With some fudge factor with the rear derailleur. Also dependent on chainring and rear sprocket sizes.

Simply changing the wheel size, assuming it fits, shouldn't impact the chain.

One general rule, never use a well used chain with a new rear cassette/freewheel.
Old 10-21-21, 06:22 PM
Waterwings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I never knew that about a worn chain/ new cassette. The bike I’m looking at has the gears in the hub. I like the aspect of the taller wheel in the rear.
Old 10-21-21, 06:35 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
A larger drive wheel will cause the gearing to be higher. That may be good or it may be bad. If nothing else changes except the rim/tire, then the chain doesn't know the difference. Per CliffordK, the chain and gears wear out together. Measure the chain and if it's more than 1% or 1/8" over; (that is, a 12" section of chain should measure exactly 12" when the chain is new,) you should change everything at once - rear gear, chainring, and chain. Otherwise, a worn gear will cause the next chain to rapidly wear out.
Old 10-21-21, 06:55 PM
Waterwings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again
Old 10-21-21, 09:20 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
What model (and year if buying used) Terratrike? It's not the chain length that could be a problem since it will not change if you use the same rear gear as on the smaller wheel. What may be a problem is the clearance between the seat and the tire. Way back when Utah Trikes was a TT dealer, they offered a frame extension kit for some of the 20" drive TT models so you could switch to a 26" drive wheel. They quit being a dealer so no longer offer the retrofit parts. You might be smarter to look for a trike that comes with a larger wheel rather than modify one that wasn't built that way. That way you know it was designed for the larger wheel and the handling may be better than if you cobble together a retrofit.
Old 10-22-21, 10:18 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
It depends on the model. My Terratrike Tour II needed extension on the drop outs, and a longer chain was needed. Some models can move from a 20" to a 26" without extensions, so the chain would be the same length.

When I put the 26" wheel on my Tour II it raised the seat about an inch, and lowered the bottom bracket about an inch also. I especially liked the lower bottom bracket since my knees are not flashing so high in my face as I pedal. However the main reason for me to go to the 26" rear was to get the chain and RD further up out of the trash and dirt. BTW I changed the gearing both front and rear.
Old 10-22-21, 06:36 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
It depends on the model. My Terratrike Tour II needed extension on the drop outs, and a longer chain was needed. Some models can move from a 20" to a 26" without extensions, so the chain would be the same length.
Good point. If you move the rear axle back further, you'll need more chain to reach there and back.