Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Schwalbe Pro One TLE tire - User Experience

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-08-21, 11:23 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts

Today I cleaned my tires and realized they were a lot more used than I thought. The back one is definitively shot - it's squared off and I can see what looks like metal wires at 2-3 small spots. Front one is still OK, but it's starting to square off and thread wear indicators are close to gone. I guess I could get another 500-1000kms out of it if I'm lucky.

Schwalbe claims they have a 4000-5000kms lifespan so I got what's expected, but I was wondering if some of you had had more luck than me. I read that some of us can get a lot more than that.

I'm a medium heavy rider (175lbs) and I'm guessing weight is my worst enemy when it comes to tire wear given that I ride 99% of the time on paved roads in very good condition with almost no debris on the shoulder. The compound is the Addix-Race. Tires are 28mm wide and mounted tubeless on 19.4mm internal width rims. They are inflated at 70PSI back & front before each ride.

Overall, I loved them. I will definitively buy them again for next season as soon as they come back in stock at my LBS.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 11-08-21, 12:17 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Today I cleaned my tires and realized they were a lot more used than I thought. The back one is definitively shot - it's squared off and I can see what looks like metal wires at 2-3 small spots. Front one is still OK, but it's starting to square off and thread wear indicators are close to gone. I guess I could get another 500-1000kms out of it if I'm lucky.

Schwalbe claims they have a 4000-5000kms lifespan so I got what's expected, but I was wondering if some of you had had more luck than me. I read that some of us can get a lot more than that.

I'm a medium heavy rider (175lbs) and I'm guessing weight is my worst enemy when it comes to tire wear given that I ride 99% of the time on paved roads in very good condition with almost no debris on the shoulder. The compound is the Addix-Race. Tires are 28mm wide and mounted tubeless on 19.4mm internal width rims. They are inflated at 70PSI back & front before each ride.

Overall, I loved them. I will definitively buy them again for next season as soon as they come back in stock at my LBS.
I've ridden them on two occasions on my road bike. They ride well and they hold up decently for a performance tire. I had them in a 28c on my road bike and I currently have them on my gravel bike at 30c (which is on pavement most of the time time this year). But I'll tell you this - the Vittoria Corsa Control 2.0's are noticeably better in both wear and perceived rolling resistance. If I could have found some in 30c, those would have gone on the gravel bike a month ago instead of the Pro1's but seems they're impossible to find now due to supply chain issues.

I'm 200lbs and I ride the 28c at 68/70psi front to back and the 30c at 58/60.
Old 11-08-21, 12:17 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
This is good to know. I have the previous generation of this tire, not the TLE. (TLR? It's tubeless) I like them a lot. Mine have been on the bike for two years and around 3500 km. The rear is just beginning to square off, probably has at least 1000 km left in it. The front still looks almost like new. I too ride almost exclusively on smooth pavement and try to avoid debris as much as possible. I've had a few punctures, but nothing big, just thorns. The Orange Seal closed them right up each time, so I've never had to repair one. I think I'll stick with these.
Old 11-08-21, 01:54 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I've gone through a set of these (one front, two rear), I'm around the same size and got right around the same mileage (~2500-3000 miles) out of each of the two rear tires.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-08-21, 02:35 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I've gone through a set of these (one front, two rear), I'm around the same size and got right around the same mileage (~2500-3000 miles) out of each of the two rear tires.

Same mileage here
Old 11-08-21, 02:38 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Metal wires? As in the ends of wires sticking out? Maybe pieces of old radial automotive tires that would flat us mere mortals with tubed tires.

Or is it just the threads of the casing you are seeing where the treads worn thin?
Old 11-08-21, 06:57 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
I second those figures. I like the tire and the durability.
Old 11-09-21, 07:38 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
I have the tires on one of my bikes and have liked them. I will say, however, that I went with Conti GP5000 Tubeless on my other bike and prefer the Conti to the Pro Ones. I think the Contis roll better, and are a smidge more comfy. Once the Pro Ones wear out, I'll replace them with the GP5000TL.
Old 11-23-21, 09:13 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by Iride01
Metal wires? As in the ends of wires sticking out? Maybe pieces of old radial automotive tires that would flat us mere mortals with tubed tires.

Or is it just the threads of the casing you are seeing where the treads worn thin?
It's probably just my bad English acting up again. It's most likely threads of the casing or the puncture protection belt. Anyhow, both are shot and are going in the garbage.

On a similar note, I still haven't found a place that had them in stock... With my hookless rims, I am very limited to what I can safely use. I saw that the new GP 5000 S TR had been approved so I might go with them instead if I can find a set of 28mm*s.

Last edited by eduskator; 11-23-21 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-23-21, 09:18 AM
WhyFi

On a similar note, I still haven't found a place that had them in stock... With my hookless, I am very limited to what I can put. I saw that the GP 5000 S TR had been approved for safe use - I might go with them instead.
Which wheels are you using? Other ETRTO hookless tires include the Michelin Power Road TL and Pirelli P-Zero Race TLR, both of which I've used on my Zipp 303S. Both are good tires. The Pirelli are super grippy but ride a little hard compared to the Schwalbe; I've only got a few hundred miles on them, so I don't know about longevity. The Power Road are a little more supple than the Pirelli, but not as supple as the Schwalbe.
Old 11-23-21, 09:29 AM
eduskator

Which wheels are you using? Other ETRTO hookless tires include the Michelin Power Road TL and Pirelli P-Zero Race TLR, both of which I've used on my Zipp 303S. Both are good tires. The Pirelli are super grippy but ride a little hard compared to the Schwalbe; I've only got a few hundred miles on them, so I don't know about longevity. The Power Road are a little more supple than the Pirelli, but not as supple as the Schwalbe.
Thanks for the info.

Giant SLR-1 wheels. The Power Road is listed as an approved tire, but the Pirelli isn't. They should be safe if they're labelled hookless compatible, though. I had the Power Road (tubed version) in one of my previous bike and liked it, but I really fell in love with the Pro Ones. It looks like the GP5000S TR is also a good candidate, but I am wondering if it lasts as much as the Pro One.

Last edited by eduskator; 11-23-21 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-23-21, 10:44 AM
WhyFi

Thanks for the info.

Giant SLR-1 wheels. The Power Road is listed as an approved tire, but the Pirelli isn't. They should be safe if they're labelled hookless compatible, though. I had the Power Road (tubed version) in one of my previous bike and liked it, but I really fell in love with the Pro Ones. It looks like the GP5000S TR is also a good candidate, but I am wondering if it lasts as much as the Pro One.
Yup. The Pro One is a fantastic tire. Unfortunately, they don't stay bead-locked on my wheels when deflated, which makes sealant maintenance more fussy, so I haven't gone back to them. I figure I'll finish making the rounds of higher performance hookless tires, including the Conti when available at a decent price. If I don't find something else that I'm really happy with, I'll revisit the Pro Ones and try another layer of rim tape, or something, to see if I can get 'em to stay put.
Old 11-23-21, 02:21 PM
eduskator

Yup. The Pro One is a fantastic tire. Unfortunately, they don't stay bead-locked on my wheels when deflated, which makes sealant maintenance more fussy, so I haven't gone back to them. I figure I'll finish making the rounds of higher performance hookless tires, including the Conti when available at a decent price. If I don't find something else that I'm really happy with, I'll revisit the Pro Ones and try another layer of rim tape, or something, to see if I can get 'em to stay put.
With the current shortages of components, I would be surprised to find rebates anywhere. Crossing my fingers for black friday and boxing day deals...

I can understand why hookless rims would make a tire harder to stay seated, but didn't think they could unseat just like that when deflated. Never had that problem. Out of curiosity, did you try different sealants to see if it would help the tires stay seated?
Old 11-23-21, 02:48 PM
WhyFi

With the current shortages of components, I would be surprised to find rebates anywhere. Crossing my fingers for black friday and boxing day deals...
I was thinking more like the spring or summer. Barring a catastrophic cut/puncture, I shouldn't need to buy any tires for 5,000+ miles. If the 5kS TR get down to ~$50ea, that'd be good enough for me.

I can understand why hookless rims would make a tire harder to stay seated, but didn't think they could unseat just like that when deflated. Never had that problem. Out of curiosity, did you try different sealants to see if it would help the tires stay seated?
Nope. If they're going to stay seated, they'll stay seated without sealant. It's not a common issue, but it's not that unusual, either.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-23-21, 06:11 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
I have the same problem with the Pro1s. They ride really nice but that has always annoyed me. But, due to the screwed up tire supply chain, it’s all I could get this fall. Otherwise, I’d go with the Vitoria Corsa Control 2.0. The new GP5000 would be fun too but not at the price they’re at now.
Old 11-24-21, 08:29 AM
eduskator

I was thinking more like the spring or summer. Barring a catastrophic cut/puncture, I shouldn't need to buy any tires for 5,000+ miles. If the 5kS TR get down to ~$50ea, that'd be good enough for me.
Good point. 5kS TR & Pro One are both 110$ a piece here in Canada, and a little less at CRC & Merlin Cycle. Very expensive.
Old 08-08-22, 05:45 AM
eduskator

Thread revive & update on the Pro Ones...

I bought another set this year and I got 3000kms out of the rear one this time. The front one is still OK. Nothing has changed except that I am lighter than last year (should have lasted longer, right? ). Same pressure. Front one is good, but rear one is squared off. No visible sign of damage or deterioration other than being square, however.

Good thing I kept my front tire from last year; I will put on the back, hoping that I'll be good for the remainder of the season.

Will definitively try the GP5K S TR next year to see if I get better lifespan or even downgrade to Michelin Power Road TLR.

Last edited by eduskator; 08-08-22 at 05:49 AM.
Old 08-08-22, 06:57 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts

Will definitively try the GP5K S TR next year to see if I get better lifespan or even downgrade to Michelin Power Road TLR.
The Power Road has been discontinued, superseded by the Power Cup TLR.

I love the Pro One, and have Power Road TLR in service, about which I agree with WhyFi that they’re not quite as supple as Pro One, but I wouldn’t call them a downgrade; my Power Roads aren’t getting tread cuts on every ride like One, at least. The new Power Cup looks to be pushing out some improvements which may make it the tire to beat in my mind, so I’ll definitely be giving those a go before long.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 08-08-22, 07:18 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by chaadster
The Power Road has been discontinued, superseded by the Power Cup TLR.

I love the Pro One, and have Power Road TLR in service, about which I agree with WhyFi that they’re not quite as supple as Pro One, but I wouldn’t call them a downgrade; my Power Roads aren’t getting tread cuts on every ride like One, at least. The new Power Cup looks to be pushing out some improvements which may make it the tire to beat in my mind, so I’ll definitely be giving those a go before long.
I also love the Pro Ones, but I find it a little intense for a tire to become squared-off after only 3000kms (1800 miles!). I mean, I am not a heavy rider at all and they're always inflated to the proper pressure before each ride.

Were the Power Road TLR discontinued this year? Because I see them everywhere in stock online. With my hookless rims, I am restricted into what rubber I can safely use. The Power Road is tested & approved. The Power Cup isn't. I bet they are just as safe, but I'd rather not take the risk or eating tarmac at 70km/h because of a blow-out.

Last edited by eduskator; 08-08-22 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-08-22, 07:49 AM
WhyFi

Were the Power Road TLR discontinued this year? Because I see them everywhere in stock online. With my hookless rims, I am restricted into what rubber I can safely use. The Power Road is tested & approved. The Power Cup isn't. I bet they are just as safe, but I'd rather not take the risk or eating tarmac at 70km/h because of a blow-out.
I was really looking forward to trying the Power Cup, but looking in to them briefly... it's weird. There's no mention of the ETRTO TSS (hookless) spec/compatibility and they seem to be sized more like a tire a generation old - it's an odd backwards step for Michelin, if correct, but I'll have to poke around more before I consider buying 'em.
Old 08-08-22, 08:42 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
I also love the Pro Ones, but I find it a little intense for a tire to become squared-off after only 3000kms (1800 miles!). I mean, I am not a heavy rider at all and they're always inflated to the proper pressure before each ride.

Yeah, I think the Power Cup launch was this past Spring, hitting the press in March (e.g. https://road.cc/content/tech-news/mi...ad-tyre-290961), so I’m not surprised there’s still inventory around. A quick glimpse at a Google search results shows really low— like single digit quantities— on the tires, esp. 25mm, so you might want to move to buy sooner rather than later.

The hookless scene…that’s a hot mess, so I agree you’re wise to seek an expressed “ok” from the rim maker. Due to my weight and width limitations on my roadies, I can’t run a tire width where that general 72psi max limit for hookless would work, so I’ve just not been paying attention to hookless at all.
Old 08-08-22, 08:54 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by chaadster
Yeah, I think the Power Cup launch was this past Spring, hitting the press in March (e.g. https://road.cc/content/tech-news/mi...ad-tyre-290961), so I’m not surprised there’s still inventory around. A quick glimpse at a Google search results shows really low— like single digit quantities— on the tires, esp. 25mm, so you might want to move to buy sooner rather than later.

The hookless scene…that’s a hot mess, so I agree you’re wise to seek an expressed “ok” from the rim maker. Due to my weight and width limitations on my roadies, I can’t run a tire width where that general 72psi max limit for hookless would work, so I’ve just not been paying attention to hookless at all.
Yep. I wouldn't have HL rims if they hadn't come factory equipped on my current race bike. At 165lbs & 28mm tires, 65PSI is recommended. I run that pressure in the front and just a little more in the back. It's feels both comfortable and fast.

Chances are that my rim manufacturer will update its compatibility chart later this year and that the Power Cup will be included. I should (hopefully) be good for the remainder of the season with my current tires so there is no rush. If not, I will try the GP5K S TR next year.

Last edited by eduskator; 08-08-22 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-08-22, 02:37 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
I suppose road surface makes a difference. Mine are now 2'308km old and they don't look worn and still feel perfectly fine. I also have hookless rims as the wheelset I wanted was HL so I said ok whatever. They recommend the Schwalbe or the GP5k S TR and since the latter is always sold out, I pounced when I saw the Schwalbe Pro One TLE in 28mm. And actually, they also came stock with my bike where they have 3'407km and they also still seem fine.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 08-09-22, 06:34 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by ZHVelo
I suppose road surface makes a difference. Mine are now 2'308km old and they don't look worn and still feel perfectly fine. I also have hookless rims as the wheelset I wanted was HL so I said ok whatever. They recommend the Schwalbe or the GP5k S TR and since the latter is always sold out, I pounced when I saw the Schwalbe Pro One TLE in 28mm. And actually, they also came stock with my bike where they have 3'407km and they also still seem fine.
I was actually hoping for someone to say that! I ride on tarmac that's close-to-perfect 90% of the time. I am not a heavy rider, the pressure is good, etc. In short, very good conditions to get the best lifespan out of them.

At 3500kms, your rear one hasn't squared off? If you rub your finger from a sidewall to another, you feel it perfectly round?

I still have a lot of rubber left, they're not shot, but the rear one isn't round anymore.
Old 08-10-22, 12:21 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
I was actually hoping for someone to say that! I ride on tarmac that's close-to-perfect 90% of the time. I am not a heavy rider, the pressure is good, etc. In short, very good conditions to get the best lifespan out of them.

At 3500kms, your rear one hasn't squared off? If you rub your finger from a sidewall to another, you feel it perfectly round?

I still have a lot of rubber left, they're not shot, but the rear one isn't round anymore.
I must admit I haven't checked them that carefully, when I am next in the cellar I will try this on the older tyres. The current ones feel round, the profile looks good as new.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.