Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

Do you need a GoPro?

Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

Do you need a GoPro?

Old 11-21-21, 06:25 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I do a lot of 4 to 7 hour rides on the weekend. 99.99% of the time I don't want to record anything.
I record road crossings, danger zones & highlights. mine will record 1 long clip if I don't stop start it. so, back home when I am reviewing them, more smaller clips works for me. I prefer 60 frames per second over 30 frames per second. still photos can be interesting & useful. the cam I use can do single, time lapse & burst. it's pretty fun having a camera on a bike ride, if even not just for recording everything for the rare moment of something that needs to be reported to law enforcement. in my entire life of cycling, even after a bike being run over after I jumped off it to I didn't get killed, I never reported anything to law enforcement. there are a lot of cra*ppy ppl out there but mostly they are just cranky that they have to share the road. for the most part, I am my worst enemy on the bike
Old 11-21-21, 06:36 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I'm not familiar w/ all their products. why did you make the switch?
Usually, the newer versions / higher number GoPros have higher resolution, and better stabilization.

HOWEVER, I've read reviews on the new GoPro Hero 10, and some have complained that it will only record minutes at a time on highest resolution before it overheats and shuts down. Also, battery life is terrible.

My Hero 8 cams will record in enough definition to be able to read license plates, and the stabilization is excellent, even when mounted on the handlebars (forward facing) and seat post (rearward facing.)
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 11-21-21, 06:52 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Usually, the newer versions / higher number GoPros have higher resolution, and better stabilization.

HOWEVER, I've read reviews on the new GoPro Hero 10, and some have complained that it will only record minutes at a time on highest resolution before it overheats and shuts down. Also, battery life is terrible.

My Hero 8 cams will record in enough definition to be able to read license plates, and the stabilization is excellent, even when mounted on the handlebars (forward facing) and seat post (rearward facing.)
thank you & your new "9" is waterproof w/o a case?
Old 11-21-21, 07:31 AM
Bald Paul

thank you & your new "9" is waterproof w/o a case?
In my experience, NOTHING is waterproof. Water resistant to varying degrees, yes. However, in order to attach an external power supply, you have to remove the (waterproof) door and install something aftermarket, which renders the camera NOT water-resistant.

I'm looking at an aftermarket aluminum case for the camera that has an external power supply cable built into a "door" that screws into place with an O ring, that supposedly retains the waterproof rating of the camera. Of course, since it's aftermarket, should it fail, the damage to the camera would not be covered. Why GoPro doesn't come up with an accessory for this purpose is beyond me.

Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 11-21-21, 03:04 PM
rumrunn6

NOTHING is waterproof
mine are. maybe you'll have better luck w/ the new one
Old 11-21-21, 04:42 PM
Bald Paul

mine are. maybe you'll have better luck w/ the new one
Oh, mine are advertised as waterproof to 33 ft underwater. I've had other devices advertised in a similar fashion, and water still managed to get inside them.

As soon as I installed the battery door with the small cutout that allowed access to the charge port for the external power supply, the 'waterproof' rating goes to zero.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 11-22-21, 08:23 AM
rumrunn6

Oh, mine are advertised as waterproof to 33 ft underwater. I've had other devices advertised in a similar fashion, and water still managed to get inside them. As soon as I installed the battery door with the small cutout that allowed access to the charge port for the external power supply, the 'waterproof' rating goes to zero.
mine don't have replaceable batteries. I have good battery life but I also have multiple units. so when one dies I just use another that I carry w/ me. kind of like carrying an extra battery, I guess. if you can change batteries, why us an external power source, instead of carrying extra batteries? just curious
Old 11-22-21, 08:51 AM
Bald Paul

mine don't have replaceable batteries. I have good battery life but I also have multiple units. so when one dies I just use another that I carry w/ me. kind of like carrying an extra battery, I guess. if you can change batteries, why us an external power source, instead of carrying extra batteries? just curious
I've found the battery life to be very dependent on the outside temperature. On hot days, it goes dead much sooner that on a cooler day. Where the cameras are mounted, it's impossible to see the display, so I never know how much battery is left. And, should the battery go dead mid-ride, all the video files are corrupted somehow, and you can't review them.

With my external packs, the cameras run off those and can last up to 3 hours. At that point, the internal battery kicks in for another 45 minutes to an hour, depending on temp. If I know my ride is going to be longer than that, I do carry extra batteries.

Ideally, someone will come up with a GoPro remote app that can be downloaded to my Garmin 1030+, allowing me to turn the cameras on/off and start/stop recording via BT. GoPro has a remote unit (I have one) but it's not reliable, and keeps losing BT connection to the cameras. I gave up trying to use it on rides. Plus, I could just use my Di2 buttons to scroll to the screen on the Garmin when I needed to, instead of fishing in my pocket for the remote, which has no method of attaching a lanyard. The mount cradle you can buy for it doesn't work on aero bars, either (ask me how I know this.)
Old 11-22-21, 09:58 AM
rumrunn6

I've found the battery life to be very dependent on the outside temperature. On hot days, it goes dead much sooner that on a cooler day. Where the cameras are mounted, it's impossible to see the display, so I never know how much battery is left. And, should the battery go dead mid-ride, all the video files are corrupted somehow, and you can't review them.With my external packs, the cameras run off those and can last up to 3 hours. At that point, the internal battery kicks in for another 45 minutes to an hour, depending on temp. If I know my ride is going to be longer than that, I do carry extra batteries. Ideally, someone will come up with a GoPro remote app that can be downloaded to my Garmin 1030+, allowing me to turn the cameras on/off and start/stop recording via BT. GoPro has a remote unit (I have one) but it's not reliable, and keeps losing BT connection to the cameras. I gave up trying to use it on rides. Plus, I could just use my Di2 buttons to scroll to the screen on the Garmin when I needed to, instead of fishing in my pocket for the remote, which has no method of attaching a lanyard. The mount cradle you can buy for it doesn't work on aero bars, either (ask me how I know this.)
oh interesting. ok then makes sense to have the external power source. I don't have an indication of battery life either, but I know when it dies. but the files are all still ok, including the one it was recording when it died
Old 11-22-21, 12:35 PM
rumrunn6

& for anyone w/o a small sport cam, may I add that they have other uses. I use mine to inspect my roof gutters for leaves & ice dams & I just rigged it to inspect my neighbor's attic crawl space. matched it with a new "Alty" bike light & will set the cam to time-lapse & just snap a few pics all around
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-23-21, 11:59 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Ugh. One more gizmo to fuss with. I ride my bike to get away from technology.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-24-21, 02:11 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I've got a GoPro 10 that I've been doing other recording with.

I've been disappointed that I get about an hour of battery life (go pro, moderately high res, using the multimedia attachment).

I have a DigiPower extended battery case on order, but it hasn't arrived yet.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 11-24-21, 12:03 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
& for anyone w/o a small sport cam, may I add that they have other uses. I use mine to inspect my roof gutters for leaves & ice dams & I just rigged it to inspect my neighbor's attic crawl space. matched it with a new "Alty" bike light & will set the cam to time-lapse & just snap a few pics all around
Colonoscopy comes to mind, based on the shape of the camera...
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 12-03-21, 11:39 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
Colonoscopy comes to mind, based on the shape of the camera...
Do it yourself??
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 05-27-22, 05:46 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 257 Posts
I've already seen where I was riding.
Don't need or want videos of the area.
However as a memory of special trips, rides, etc. it must be wonderful.
If I'm not riding, my iphone takes great videos...if I'm riding there are times I'd like a GoPro.
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 05-28-22, 09:29 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Kai Winters
there are times I'd like a GoPro.
I've really been enjoying it. used it today to take vids of cleaning my brother's roof gutters. pulled a small tree out of the lower right corner. & filled half my shop vac with other sediment along the length. very satisfying. but the image stabilization was a huge jump in quality for me. even the frame grabs are better than the previous cam
Old 05-31-22, 09:43 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
I have a gopro 9. The video footage is amazing.

If there was simple fast way to turn/on/off record with the gopro 9 I would use it all the time. It was such a hassle to turn to on/record I used a usb power bank to record the whole ride. 4+ hour ride = 99% useless video and very large files that took hours to down load to the desktop. Then another hour+ to edit/extract something you wanted to keep.

I tried using pause/on/off on a few rides I spent more time fiddling with the gopro that I did not enjoy my bike ride much. So i stopped using it all. If I go on vacation with bikes I will use it but not for daily/weekly bike rides.

I think this might solve my problems.
https://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Remote-.../dp/B08SHZ2BL3
So, I bought this remote and when used with hindsight it's AMAZING when it works. If I am constantly using it works perfect. Say like every 15 or so minutes record a minutes here and there. works 100% of the time.

While on 5+ bike ride there might be times I don't record anything for hours. I have not figured out when it times out/sleeps etc... I am too busy enjoying my bike ride. I might trying just plugging it out the house and see if it times out after watching a movie. Then I would know if it would be worth it hook up an external battery.

30 second hindsight with a remotes is awesome. Your friend does something; a$$ hole car buzzes etc.. what ever. Just hit the remote and has the recording from the 30 seconds ago and recording now. does not save your battery though because it is constantly recording, just not saving to flash drive.
Old 10-03-22, 11:48 AM
hroark

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
GoPro pricey but I’ve found works best. Of course not necessary but fun.
Likes For hroark:
Old 10-03-22, 12:50 PM
Bald Paul

If there was simple fast way to turn/on/off record with the gopro 9 I would use it all the time.
I have my GoPro 8 set up for voice command.
"GoPro, start recording." It starts.
GoPro, stop recording." It stops.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 10-03-22, 08:22 PM
rumrunn6

I have my GoPro 8 set up for voice command.
"GoPro, start recording." It starts.
GoPro, stop recording." It stops.
I should try that. was out w/ mine this weekend, w/ winter cycling gloves & it took a while to get the hang of the start button, w/the gloves on. I guess I used it ok last winter, but not touching it would be helpful

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-19-22 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-18-22, 12:41 PM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
I don't need a cell phone. Not a luddite. Was an early-adopter back in 1996. I know cell phones go back to '73, but they were mostly heavy mobile units (car phones) until the flip phones of the 90's. Although phone cameras were first commercialized around 1999 for the Japanese market, they weren't popular here in the US until the Nokia gained market share in the early 2000's. I remember not being able to enter the US Mint in Philedelphia for a tour because my Motorola Razr had a camera on it. It was still being treated like spy gear.

For a while, my employer provided a flip phone, so I avoided the "smart" phone trend. Nowadays, I'm phone-free. It's more alt than being car free because a person can have a pretty alt car, but I've never seen an alt phone. You pretty much have to have total conformity and submit to total control for it to work at all. There are, of course, alt radios.

For cameras, Go Pro's are pretty much for people with You Tube channels. Alt cameras are film.
Old 11-15-22, 02:29 PM
Seanval

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
GoPro 9 is fine enough, but having it, never really used
Likes For Seanval: