Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

need advice for carbon crank setup

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-21, 07:00 PM
singlespeedfold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My current setup
Crankset: Shimano Alfine Hollowtech II , 170mm crank arm length, 130BCD, Single Speed 48T with integrated chain guard
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Ultegra Press Fit sealed bearing unit BB92

I would like to keep the bottom bracket and just upgrade the crank arms & spider to carbon fiber for further weight reduction.

THM is very good but the price is unaffordable.
Any recommendation?

Last edited by singlespeedfold; 12-13-21 at 02:28 AM. Reason: correction
Old 12-09-21, 09:00 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by singlespeedfold
My current setup
Crankset: Shimano Alfine Hollowtech II , 170mm crank arm length, 130BCD, Single Speed 48T with integrated chain guard
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Ultegra Press Fit sealed bearing unit BB86

I would like to keep the bottom bracket and just upgrade the crank arms & spider to carbon fiber for further weight reduction.

THM is very good but the price is unaffordable.
Any recommendation?
My recommendation is to not do it. Are you a racer? If not, and weight is that big of an issue for you, I'd try to find other ways to achieve the reduction.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 12-09-21, 06:34 PM
singlespeedfold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TugaDude
My recommendation is to not do it. Are you a racer? If not, and weight is that big of an issue for you, I'd try to find other ways to achieve the reduction.
I'm not a racer but I need to carry my bike up the staircase every working day so I'd like to keep the weight minimum.
Old 12-09-21, 06:57 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts
I'm not a racer but I need to carry my bike up the staircase every working day so I'd like to keep the weight minimum.
Your getting stronger and I bet pretty soon you will need to add some weight
This is the general plan and pattern for weight training.
Not sure about options for the crankset but another swap of lighter wheel(s) could also be considered.
Likes For joesch:
Old 12-09-21, 07:22 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
That's cool. It's just that most of the people I know who went to carbon cranks weren't all that fond of them after the fact. And yours are already pretty light comparatively speaking.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 12-09-21, 07:22 PM
singlespeedfold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by joesch
Your getting stronger and I bet pretty soon you will need to add some weight
This is the general plan and pattern for weight training.
Not sure about options for the crankset but another swap of lighter wheel(s) could also be considered.
already swapped a set of carbon wheels
Old 12-09-21, 07:28 PM
singlespeedfold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TugaDude
That's cool. It's just that most of the people I know who went to carbon cranks weren't all that fond of them after the fact. And yours are already pretty light comparatively speaking.
Thanks for your advice. good quality carbon cranks are expensive too. I'm now considering some light aluminum alloy cranks which are very light too.
Old 12-09-21, 07:43 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Keep an eye on EBay, as well as your local Craigslist. Cranks pop up all the time.

But, you have to set a budget. $50? $100? $200?

If you're planning on riding them hard, then research the brand a bit. Some brands have had inserts that came loose.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 12-10-21, 02:15 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
This past June I bought some super light Kuota cranks for one of my road bikes and I can say that I do feel a difference. I actually feel more of a difference than I did switching to a light wheelset. But my single speed bikes are steel and carbon cranks wouldn't look right on them

Likes For Lazyass:
Old 12-10-21, 09:35 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Getting past yays or nays for your choice of a crabon crankset - my thinking is that choosing one based on it having to be able to work with your existing bottom bracket may be a mistake. What you have is not particularly special and doing it that way limits your choice of cranks. I think it makes more sense to choose your crankset based on its own merits then get a correct BB to fit with it.

Good luck whatever you decide...
Likes For IAmSam:
Old 12-13-21, 02:32 AM
singlespeedfold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by IAmSam
Getting past yays or nays for your choice of a crabon crankset - my thinking is that choosing one based on it having to be able to work with your existing bottom bracket may be a mistake. What you have is not particularly special and doing it that way limits your choice of cranks. I think it makes more sense to choose your crankset based on its own merits then get a correct BB to fit with it.

Good luck whatever you decide...
My bike is a folding bike with the folding hinge integrated into the bottom bracket. Other BB cannot work. I have corrected the BB spec after I dissembled it for measurement.. It should be BB92.
Old 12-13-21, 02:35 AM
singlespeedfold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Keep an eye on EBay, as well as your local Craigslist. Cranks pop up all the time.

But, you have to set a budget. $50? $100? $200?

If you're planning on riding them hard, then research the brand a bit. Some brands have had inserts that came loose.
I found most issues on carbon cranksets were about weak spider, so I will be looking for a GXPdirect mount on carbon crank arms too
Old 12-13-21, 09:11 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I found most issues on carbon cranksets were about weak spider, so I will be looking for a GXPdirect mount on carbon crank arms too
Some cranks will also have issues with metal inserts coming loose at pedals, and at the bottom bracket.

I have a Specialized carbon crankset with an aluminum spider. I haven't had any issues with it, but the cranks with integrated spiders appear better built.
Old 12-23-21, 07:59 PM
singlespeedfold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Some cranks will also have issues with metal inserts coming loose at pedals, and at the bottom bracket.

I have a Specialized carbon crankset with an aluminum spider. I haven't had any issues with it, but the cranks with integrated spiders appear better built.
Finally I decide to go for a set of titanium cranks with GXP, and a direct mount chainring.
Old 12-24-21, 03:11 AM
Lazyass

Finally I decide to go for a set of titanium cranks with GXP, and a direct mount chainring.
Titanium cranks? Which ones are these? I've never heard of this. Seems like ti cranks would be a little flexy.
Old 12-24-21, 12:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Titanium cranks? Which ones are these? I've never heard of this. Seems like ti cranks would be a little flexy.
Cane Creek does Ti cranks for road and MTB and Bastion Cycling does ones that are ridiculously expensive because they were for the Aussie national track team they are purdy though. There might be some others out there but those are the two of known quality.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-25-21, 02:21 AM
Lazyass

Interesting. Wonder if the OP actually spent a thousand dollars haha
Old 12-25-21, 12:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Interesting. Wonder if the OP actually spent a thousand dollars haha
I doubt it probably something from Alibaba and his 40 thieves but those Bastion cranks are mega sexy and I am trying to justify to myself why I should spend that kind of money for those cranks for a new build I have planned even though, I do not race track and have no velodromes nearby and no plans to race. Maybe if I sell another bike or two but in the end I will probably stick with the Sugino Super 75 DD which is still ridiculous but less expensive...HAHA but the idea of a mostly ti bike with ti parts is pretty neat.