Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bontrager Floor Pump issue

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-27-21, 12:53 PM
teeebone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I purchased the Bontrager Dual Charge floor pump this past summer and love it. It has the high volume setting which is supposed to be for up to 80 PSI tires and the high pressure setting for above 80. Since my tires on my bikes are max 50 and max 70 I have always used the high volume setting. Yesterday the high volume setting stopped working on my tires. Without a tire when pumping I feel the air but once I put it on any of the tires on my 2 bikes you can barely press down for air. When I switch to the high pressure setting it works fine. Anyone come across this issue with one of these pumps?
Old 12-27-21, 01:20 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Maybe the tube valves are sticky, requiring greater force to cause them to function properly.. That could explain why the high pressure setting works for them and the other does not.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-27-21, 01:29 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Bontrager warranty for parts and accessories is 2 years. You might see if it is a valid claim for whatever the warranty terms actually are. A Trek dealer can help you with that.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 12-27-21, 01:47 PM
teeebone

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Maybe the tube valves are sticky, requiring greater force to cause them to function properly.. That could explain why the high pressure setting works for them and the other does not.
Just took a new tube and tried it with the same outcome so I don't think thats it.
Old 12-27-21, 02:10 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by teeebone
Just took a new tube and tried it with the same outcome so I don't think thats it.
You've been using it for a year... do you think it may be spotty operation from use? Surely it cant be wearing out already. Maybe you flush it out with some silicone spray?
Old 12-27-21, 02:22 PM
teeebone

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
You've been using it for a year... do you think it may be spotty operation from use? Surely it cant be wearing out already. Maybe you flush it out with some silicone spray?
Actually 6 months - I got it in the summer. I wouldn't think that after 6 months the pump would be wearing out? Never thought of cleaning out the pump - I take it you need to take it apart? I called Bontrager for their thoughts on this and if they have seen it before but they must be off today.
Old 12-27-21, 03:35 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
I purchased the Bontrager Dual Charge floor pump this past summer and love it. It has the high volume setting which is supposed to be for up to 80 PSI tires and the high pressure setting for above 80. Since my tires on my bikes are max 50 and max 70 I have always used the high volume setting. Yesterday the high volume setting stopped working on my tires. Without a tire when pumping I feel the air but once I put it on any of the tires on my 2 bikes you can barely press down for air. When I switch to the high pressure setting it works fine. Anyone come across this issue with one of these pumps?
I know nothing about the mechanism of this pump, but it sure sounds like something (perhaps a check valve?) is stuck. If it were my pump, I would be unscrewing the top of the pump (if this is possible) and squirting some silicone spray down the barrel, hoping it would get to the stuck part and free it up. You want to use silicone because if you use petroleum-based oils they could damage any rubber components in the pump and hose. If you can't remove the top of the pump barrel, find out where it sucks in air on the pump upstroke and shoot the silicone in there. Just a thought.
Old 12-27-21, 06:34 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
When you mean stopped working can you be more specific? Does the air from the tire flow back into the pump pushing the handle up? If so above is correct and the check valve is stuck. If only six months old, you got it from your local shop and are on good terms, take it in and see if they will help under warranty. If not you’ll need to figure out how to clean and lube the check valve. I have a Joe Blow pump I had to take apart and do this. Just Spraying silicone worked for a tire or two.
Old 12-27-21, 06:35 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
high pressure setting plus regular pressure setting. just one more thing that could go wrong
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 12-27-21, 07:27 PM
teeebone

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
When you mean stopped working can you be more specific? Does the air from the tire flow back into the pump pushing the handle up? If so above is correct and the check valve is stuck. If only six months old, you got it from your local shop and are on good terms, take it in and see if they will help under warranty. If not you’ll need to figure out how to clean and lube the check valve. I have a Joe Blow pump I had to take apart and do this. Just Spraying silicone worked for a tire or two.
Seems like the air goes back into the pump. Pretty much impossible to press down to pump air. Couple times the pump even popped off the valve even though it was locked in.
Old 12-28-21, 07:48 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
Seems like the air goes back into the pump. Pretty much impossible to press down to pump air. Couple times the pump even popped off the valve even though it was locked in.
Yep. Sounds like the check valve and each chamber has its own. I don’t see any guidance using my Google foo.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 12-28-21 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-28-21, 08:59 AM
kwb377 
Definitely an amateur...

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Stumpy FSR

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 32 Posts
...just one more thing that could go wrong
So...I take it that you ride a single speed?
Old 12-28-21, 09:19 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by kwb377
So...I take it that you ride a single speed?
my pump is one speed yes
Old 01-03-22, 12:21 PM
dieselgoat

Bikes: Too damn many to list, seriously.

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Take it back to the shop you bought it from. I've had to have two different pumps warranted in the past six months for different reasons. No questions asked.
Old 01-04-22, 02:49 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I had a pump that the pressure relief blew off and shot somewhere that I could not find the piece. I took to my local Trek store to get the part to fix it. They just gave me a new pump.
Try returning it.