Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A bike should neither appear nor disappear

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

A bike should neither appear nor disappear

Old 03-24-22, 05:00 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,850 Times in 6,067 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
If I had a niggle for every time someone said that to me....
HA! I was going to post that! Good thing I decided to read through the thread before I posted.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-24-22, 05:07 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I don't think of the bike 'disappearing' under me. It's more a question of symbiosis, where I and the bike feel like a single entity. Ride one well set-up bike enough, and you can get this. I have one bike that I've always said, "shifts like thought", meaning I think about being in another gear and with the softest *click* I'm there. Another bike swings like a pendulum when I'm up out of the saddle, so perfectly in sync with the pedals there's I hardly have to use my arm muscles to do it. That same bike corners as if IT knows what it is doing, like it's choosing the lines through the curve, leaning the right amount, and righting itself as I come out of the turn.

But it doesn't cause me to zone out. Instead it sharpens the focus on the act of riding. It removes the mechanical distractions.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-24-22, 06:53 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,826 Times in 2,982 Posts
For me riding a bike is mostly an unconscious effort and so it does indeed effectively disappear. I tend to be thinking about the ride rather than riding the bike. Same goes for skiing or driving. The riding or driving all happens on an unconscious level, leaving you to focus on where you are going and other stuff when the going is easy. I agree the bike tends to come into focus whenever it isn't working properly or making some strange abnormal noise. Can't say I've given it much thought beyond that!
Old 03-24-22, 07:37 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2605 Post(s)
Liked 3,116 Times in 1,643 Posts
I think I can get that vibe sometimes on my TCR - the daily driver. It's quite comfortable and smooth. Snappy too. Great bike.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-24-22, 10:10 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
My bike never disappears, no matter how long or familiar the ride. I'm always concentrating on everything around me, the machine under me, and my body propelling it. I suppose it's a type of Zen practice which has the huge benefit of keeping me alive and well.. Those three elements are plenty enough to hold my interest. "So much to learn, so little time."
Old 03-25-22, 05:29 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I've seen this lady on TV who could make a bike or anything else dissappear or reappear just by blinking her eyes. I don't remember her being a cyclist, though.
Old 03-25-22, 05:56 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by seypat
I've seen this lady on TV who could make a bike or anything else dissappear or reappear just by blinking her eyes. I don't remember her being a cyclist, though.
I was wrong. My bad.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001174/.../rm4168259584/

https://www.posterazzi.com/barbara-e...item-dap12194/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/502644008383688838/
Old 03-25-22, 07:44 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
A bike could appear - like if you buy it at the store and put it in your garage. However, it should never disappear unless when it's under your arse and being ridden.
Old 03-25-22, 07:50 AM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
I get the OP drift. I enjoy when the miles melt away and my brain is in a mode where it can take a break from the regular stuff.
Old 03-25-22, 08:01 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I remember that feeling of riding and the next thing you are in the next county or state. Can't do that with a lousy bike
Old 03-25-22, 09:44 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Joearch
I get the OP drift. I enjoy when the miles melt away and my brain is in a mode where it can take a break from the regular stuff.
I sometimes find I've figured out apparently intractable problems while riding, because they've been running in the background part of my brain while riding occupies the foreground.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-25-22, 11:13 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3164 Post(s)
Liked 1,818 Times in 1,150 Posts
I have many times been confused about which village I'm approaching.. I was certain I'd ridden through that one, but here it is ahead of me. Both the bike and the rider disappear for a period of time.
Old 03-25-22, 11:24 AM
seypat

Old 03-25-22, 12:26 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2974 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Likes For prj71:
Old 03-25-22, 10:21 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2564 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
When the bike and I are one, I am in my happy place.

Old 03-26-22, 04:48 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
When my bike and I are one, I am heading for the emergency department.
Likes For znomit:
Old 03-26-22, 09:13 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
OP is correct, being alert is the most important part of being safe on a bike. Even moreso than having safety equipment (helmet, radar mirrors) or a mechanically sound bike. This is part of the reason why some people prefer track bikes when riding in city traffic, you never zone out
Old 03-26-22, 12:56 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
OP is correct, being alert is the most important part of being safe on a bike. Even moreso than having safety equipment (helmet, radar mirrors) or a mechanically sound bike. This is part of the reason why some people prefer track bikes when riding in city traffic, you never zone out
Listen to this guy. He knows. They don't call him that Ambassador of Safety for no reason.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 03-26-22, 06:01 PM
seypat

If your bike has a TurboSpoke, you don't have to worry about being seen or not seen. You'll always be heard. It'll keep you from zoning out as well. Win win.

Old 03-26-22, 06:57 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
If your bike has a TurboSpoke, you don't have to worry about being seen or not seen. You'll always be heard. It'll keep you from zoning out as well. Win win.

https://youtu.be/lkor-DErceM
today I saw this kid with a crushed water bottle between his fork and wheel, it was pretty sweet. the mtb was probably thousands fo dollars haha
Old 03-26-22, 07:53 PM
zatopek

Bikes: Neilpryde Nazare, Storck Scenero G3, Colnago Extreme Power, CAAD 10, Bowman Palace R, Strong Custom Foco Steel, BMC SLR01, BMC ALR01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 53 Posts
I think George Hincapie referred to the “No chain” phenomenon. I interpret that to mean those rides when the cyclist is at peak fitness, the weather is good, the machine is in great tune, the mind is on autopilot and the miles tick by seemingly effortlessly.
Old 03-26-22, 08:17 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I have a bike. I ride it.
Old 03-28-22, 06:00 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
My bike never disappears, no matter how long or familiar the ride. I'm always concentrating on everything around me, the machine under me, and my body propelling it. I suppose it's a type of Zen practice which has the huge benefit of keeping me alive and well.. Those three elements are plenty enough to hold my interest. "So much to learn, so little time."
I'm curious about what part of the machine you are concentrating on while riding? Obviously when there is a problem (puncture, strange mechanical noise) it would suddenly snap into focus. But otherwise?
Old 03-28-22, 10:47 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I'm curious about what part of the machine you are concentrating on while riding? Obviously when there is a problem (puncture, strange mechanical noise) it would suddenly snap into focus. But otherwise?
Yeah, good question. It's not exactly like riding a horse, but there is a sort of conversation which takes place concerning how can we help each other to go faster and further. I probably notice crank inertial load more than anything because that effects how I pedal. I notice my tires' response to the road surface, trying always to be aware of tire pressure, having seen riders roll a low tire right off the rim, not good. As we go into a corner, I try to be aware of what the bike wants me to do to corner most effectively. Do I just drop my head into the corner, swivel my upper body, drop the bike into the corner or what? In a hard corner, I try to be aware of how the tires feel on the pavement. Are we near our limit? In a hill sprint, is my CG correct, both tires staying on the ground? What gear, cog and ring, am I in? If I shift both ends can I get a more effective cadence? Is my hand position the most effective for my current situation? How's my butt planted on the saddle and where? Is my pelvic roll how I want it to be right now? There's always something going on, always plotting and planning.
Old 03-29-22, 12:00 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Yeah, good question. It's not exactly like riding a horse, but there is a sort of conversation which takes place concerning how can we help each other to go faster and further. I probably notice crank inertial load more than anything because that effects how I pedal. I notice my tires' response to the road surface, trying always to be aware of tire pressure, having seen riders roll a low tire right off the rim, not good. As we go into a corner, I try to be aware of what the bike wants me to do to corner most effectively. Do I just drop my head into the corner, swivel my upper body, drop the bike into the corner or what? In a hard corner, I try to be aware of how the tires feel on the pavement. Are we near our limit? In a hill sprint, is my CG correct, both tires staying on the ground? What gear, cog and ring, am I in? If I shift both ends can I get a more effective cadence? Is my hand position the most effective for my current situation? How's my butt planted on the saddle and where? Is my pelvic roll how I want it to be right now? There's always something going on, always plotting and planning.
Pretty much all that you mention above are mostly subconscious actions for me. I did a fairly challenging timed century ride on Sunday and the only thing that I consciously noticed about my bike was a little bit of excessive drivetrain noise in the lowest rear gear (like maybe the low limit screw was slightly too tight). Apart from that niggle, my bike was pretty much invisible in a positive way, like an extension of my body. Leaving me to concentrate on pacing, hydration, fuelling and the group dynamics. There was one guy flapping about erratically in the group I was riding with, that I consciously kept away from! Some of the road surfaces were very poor, so that was on my conscious mind at times too. But not really the bike itself.

I think a lot comes down to what is conscious thought vs subconscious auto pilot? Most of the bike interaction happens subconsciously as it does with driving. That's one of the reasons why learning to ride or drive is difficult from scratch as everything has to be learnt consciously, which is a much slower process. Once an action becomes subconscious it is effectively performed automatically with a much faster and precise reaction. Like your example of cornering on the bike. I would think all that happens subconsciously in the moment. Or are you really thinking about all those individual factors in real time? I would bet not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.