Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Messenger Riding Fast and Fluid Through NYC Traffic

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bicycle Messenger Riding Fast and Fluid Through NYC Traffic

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-22, 01:09 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Cagers is an old motorcycling term it’s not dumb
It's a pejorative that lumps huge swaths of people under its umbrella. It's dumb and hinging an argument upon it is dumb.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-03-22, 01:20 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
My good buddy of 30 years is a biker, is as hardcore as they come and works in the industry. My uncle is a biker also and I've been hanging around with bikers my whole life and no one uses that term except try hards.

I know you think you're being cool and edgy but I just wanted to let you know what the perception is from outside your bubble.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 04-03-22, 01:45 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
defending cagers in bikeforums....
The guy in that video was more of a hazard to pedestrians and other cyclists than any of the "cagers" caught in that video.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 04-03-22, 04:00 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge
It doesn't matter if you're doing lots of positive things for other people even if you're Elon Musk or the president of a large humanitarian organization. It doesn't give you the privilege to endanger others when there are much safer options or choices to do one thing or fulfill your urges. It only turns you into an elitist, a snob for thinking everyone else is less important, less useful than you that it's a not a big deal if you end up hurting or annoying others with what you do.
All absolutely true.

There are many ways to satisfy your adrenaline urges without hurting others who doesn't wish to be part of the action. They do it in mountain tracks, race tracks, cordoned areas, officially sanctioned races / events, etc. Act like a professional instead of a deluded maniac and it will be good for everyone.
All these guys do this stuff too, in fact most of their respective content has nothing to do with endangering others. This past winter, Lucas Brunelle shot an absolutely crazy and incredible video of himself riding out on the (barely) frozen Charles River in Boston on his road bike, you;re not going to see content like that from anyone else... but he's also famous for riding like a dick. Safa's videos are some of the best cycling content on YouTube... and then he posted an incredibly annoying one of himself and another guy bombing a crowded two-way, mixed-use singletrack at top speed, bullying the hikers out of the way. As I said, I'm conflicted. Cycling is an inherently risky sport and seeing people embrace that risk is as compelling as it is in surfing or rock climbing. The problem obviously comes when you subject unwilling participants to the same risk. Does that wipe out everything else? Possibly.
Old 04-03-22, 06:27 PM
Ubie

Bikes: 2019 CO-OP DRT 1.2, 2001 Trek 2200, 2021 Cannondale Topstone 1 Alloy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 47 Posts
It was dumb in the 60's, it's dumb now. Much like the guy in your video.
Likes For Ubie:
Old 04-03-22, 09:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
people were riding like that way before premium rush. I’m very impressed with the riders in that vid and I’m not alone
Yes I am aware that people ride like morons and have rode like morons before the movie but it doesn't make it OK or really that impressive. Yes gliding through streets and knowing your area is interesting but if you are riding dangerously where you can hurt others and cause more problems you aren't cool.

You can predict really only what you will do and no matter how skilled you think you are it doesn't matter if you cannot predict what is going to happen in an urban situation. Everyone is doing something different it is not like a track race where everyone is going in the same direction with the same goal.

Also cagers sounds dumb however it is an old term for basketball players and a worker who loads and unloads cages or a mechanical device that unloads cars of of cages.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-03-22, 09:28 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Cycling is an inherently risky sport
As do crossing the street on foot. But the risk of crossing the street should only come from cars, not from a deluded maniac on a bike or a shirtless deluded maniac running and swinging a 3ft steel pipe. Don't add to the problem. Don't make a dangerous situation even more dangerous.

All these guys do this stuff too, in fact most of their respective content has nothing to do with endangering others. This past winter, Lucas Brunelle shot an absolutely crazy and incredible video of himself riding out on the (barely) frozen Charles River in Boston on his road bike, you;re not going to see content like that from anyone else... but he's also famous for riding like a dick.
Go see Amsterdam, less dicky culture, much nicer, SAFER place. Attitudes make a huge difference. Being a dick automatically nullifies all the other good things you do, you make yourself a part of the problem and that's just sad, a complete waste of effort.
Old 04-03-22, 10:45 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2698 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge
As do crossing the street on foot. But the risk of crossing the street should only come from cars, not from a deluded maniac on a bike or a shirtless deluded maniac running and swinging a 3ft steel pipe. Don't add to the problem. Don't make a dangerous situation even more dangerous.

Go see Amsterdam, less dicky culture, much nicer, SAFER place. Attitudes make a huge difference. Being a dick automatically nullifies all the other good things you do, you make yourself a part of the problem and that's just sad, a complete waste of effort.
Lucas Brunelle has done more for cycling than almost all of his haters
Old 04-03-22, 11:06 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Doing lots of good things and being popular is not a privilege to put the lives of other people in danger.

That's being elitist. Being an elitist automatically makes you part of the world's problems. Attitudes are highly contagious and you can't begin to imagine how huge the good or bad it does to everyone.

I'm serious, look at countries run by elitists. They are extremely corrupt and crime rates are high.
Likes For qwaalodge:
Old 04-03-22, 11:46 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
defending cagers in bikeforums....
Lookee! He learned a new bike word!

The term isn't dumb, people who use it are.
​​​​​​​
Likes For Camilo:
Old 04-04-22, 04:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

How? By glamorizing people like this monster? https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...clist-11043406

Cute detail, he was yelling at his victim about it being her fault as she laid dying.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-04-22, 04:48 AM
Sailboat Bob

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Totally gonna start saying cagers
Likes For Sailboat Bob:
Old 04-04-22, 04:54 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
How? By glamorizing people like this monster? https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...clist-11043406

Cute detail, he was yelling at his victim about it being her fault as she laid dying.
Some folks think having an "attitude", and aggravating others is okay if it seems like you're doing a great service to many people.

Corrupt politicians and corrupt businessmen think exactly the same way. They think they deserve some loot for services to the country and the people. Not at all. They remain part of the problem because they are filling a spot that should have gone to someone who isn't corrupt.
Old 04-04-22, 06:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Sailboat Bob
Totally gonna start saying cagers

That'll be the bee's knees, daddy-o!
Old 04-04-22, 06:30 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
I'm with Larry! No use for cagers since they took my license. Plus the shelter I live in has no parking.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-04-22, 08:30 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2698 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions

cyclists hitting and killing pedestrians isn’t exactly unheard of. Lucas doesn’t say anything in that article, and bikes can cause damage with or without brakes. A group ride I do put a random cyclist in the hospital last year, and one of my fathers coworker’s wife was struck dead by a cyclist going down a hill several years ago.

Lucas does a lot for outreach and making cycling a better spectator sport in the USA.
Old 04-04-22, 09:02 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
I have thought for a long time that front brakes should be required on all bikes including fixies, and it should be enforced which most cities will not do, at least here in the US they won't enforce it. That death in England is just one reason for requiring and enforcing front brakes, and the article said there have been many such accidents where a bike without a front brake was involved, and those deaths are both to peds as well as to cyclists. 70% of your stopping ability rests on your front brake and tire, why compromise so much braking force? I know fixie bikes are all the rage, it's so cool, but at some point coolness ends with stupidity.
Old 04-04-22, 10:44 AM
jdogg111

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
My good buddy of 30 years is a biker, is as hardcore as they come and works in the industry. My uncle is a biker also and I've been hanging around with bikers my whole life and no one uses that term except try hards.

I know you think you're being cool and edgy but I just wanted to let you know what the perception is from outside your bubble.
what do bicycle riders consider bikers. motorcycle riders or bicycle riders. its all confusing
Old 04-04-22, 11:07 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by jdogg111
what do bicycle riders consider bikers. motorcycle riders or bicycle riders. its all confusing
I quit being a cyclist to become a biker then I quit being a biker to become a cager. Then I came back around to being a cyclist/cager hybrid, AKA old rail trail codger.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 04-04-22, 11:09 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
It's not at all confusing to a cyclist.
Old 04-04-22, 11:09 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
“Bikers” ride motorcycles. “Cyclists” ride bicycles.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 04-04-22, 11:10 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I had to look him up, never had heard of him. I guess he hit a pedestrian running a red light and his friend fell into an icy river because he thought it was a good idea for he and his buddies to ride on it. He is from Martha's Vineyard, a very wealthy area so I guess he can go around and hit people and endanger his friends, it is part of his cultural heritage.

I don't know what he is doing for cycling as I work in the industry and have for a while and haven't heard of him.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-04-22, 11:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Hiro11
The problem obviously comes when you subject unwilling participants to the same risk. Does that wipe out everything else? Possibly.
How is that even a question? This behavior is basically just bullying pedestrians and hikers.
Old 04-04-22, 11:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

cyclists hitting and killing pedestrians isn’t exactly unheard of. Lucas doesn’t say anything in that article, and bikes can cause damage with or without brakes. A group ride I do put a random cyclist in the hospital last year, and one of my fathers coworker’s wife was struck dead by a cyclist going down a hill several years ago.

Lucas does a lot for outreach and making cycling a better spectator sport in the USA.

So basically he's promoting coming close to hitting people and putting the risks of that on other people, and we're supposed to appreciate that as a spectator?. He can go eat raw sewage as far as I'm concerned.

You think "cyclist" is a title that gives you the privilege of acting this way? And you have the gall to call other people "elitist"?

Yes, Lucas didn't say anything in that article but the guy who killed the pedestrian was one of his video stars.

Last edited by livedarklions; 04-04-22 at 11:59 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-04-22, 12:01 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I guess he hit a pedestrian running a red light and his friend fell into an icy river because he thought it was a good idea for he and his buddies to ride on it. He is from Martha's Vineyard, a very wealthy area so I guess he can go around and hit people and endanger his friends, it is part of his cultural heritage.
Sounds like Chappaquiddick all over again...
Likes For Reflector Guy:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.