Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Oscar Egg Randoneusse

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-22, 12:47 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 403 Posts
Oscar Egg Randoneusse

I bought this bike on a whim earlier this week, thinking it might make a nice vintage tourer. It’s a 50’s Oscar Egg, in pretty good original condition. It features a Solida 5 pin crankset and Simplex 8 speed driveline, the rear derailleur was replaced sometime back when the Beatles were still young. Other features are Mafac brakes with Guidonette levers, working dynamo and lights, Philippe stem, RGF bottom bracket, Lefol fenders, Lapize pump, and an Ideale saddle. The bike rides quite well.

I am debating to leave it as it is, and do some long tours on it later this summer, or to restore it completely. I was able to find new examples of the original chain guard and rear derailleur.
Old 04-22-22, 01:25 AM
Millstone

Bikes: Might as well, now that I am here...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 66 Posts
I have no idea what it's worth but the bike really appeals to me, must be the blue...

Nice!
Likes For Millstone:
Old 04-22-22, 04:21 AM
DanseMacabre

Bikes: 1957 Motobecane camping bike, 1974 Manufrance Super Course STC, 1977 Peugeot camping bike, 1978 Liberia C15

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 43 Posts
Nice condition, that makes there will be interest from buyers.
I wonder what the original rear derailer was, already something with a parallellogram? Since I don't see a plate for a two-bolt plunger derailer. The Huret Allvit was available from 1958 on.
A chainguard will not be too expensive. I don't see any way to add it to the frame, there are no braze-ons for it? It probably needs clamps then I assume. In my experience, these French chainguards are useless, my trousers still get dirty
And the steel rims are worthless in the rain. If you really want to make miles on it an upgrade to aluminium rims might be an option.
Old 04-24-22, 07:50 PM
lowgear45

Bikes: Picchio, Masi, Herse, McLean(6), Sparrow, Frejus(2), Legnano(3), Merz(2), Raleigh Pro, RSachs, Moulton, Calzone, Urago, Paisley, Ritchey, B.Jackson, Piave, Bottecchia, Paramount(2), Hurlow(4), ICS, Colnago(3), Weigle, Gilmour, Pinarello, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oscar Egg

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling

I bought this bike on a whim earlier this week, thinking it might make a nice vintage tourer. It’s a 50’s Oscar Egg, in pretty good original condition. It features a Solida 5 pin crankset and Simplex 8 speed driveline, the rear derailleur was replaced sometime back when the Beatles were still young. Other features are Mafac brakes with Guidonette levers, working dynamo and lights, Philippe stem, RGF bottom bracket, Lefol fenders, Lapize pump, and an Ideale saddle. The bike rides quite well.

I am debating to leave it as it is, and do some long tours on it later this summer, or to restore it completely. I was able to find new examples of the original chain guard and rear derailleur.
This is certainly a charming bike. So few Oscar Eggs seem to have survived. May I submit your pictures to the Classic Rendezvous for their OE page?
Old 04-24-22, 09:08 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by lowgear45
This is certainly a charming bike. So few Oscar Eggs seem to have survived. May I submit your pictures to the Classic Rendezvous for their OE page?
Please be my guest,
Old 04-25-22, 03:23 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
I agree great looking bike.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-25-22, 06:32 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I love examples like this. Whatever you do, treat her well, she's a survivor.
Old 04-25-22, 07:13 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
My approach to such situations is to rebuild the bicycle to whatever configuration will provide the most personal enjoyment, which typically results in the bicycle being ridden more. However, if the bicycle is modifed, I have two stipulations. One is that I don't make any changes that aren't reversible. Two, is that the orignal components are retained, so that the bicycle can be rebuilt to OEM specifcation, should I have a change of heart or the bicycle is sold. The latter will happen at some point and OEM spec typical brings more money. In a case like this, it would be significantly more.
Old 04-25-22, 07:15 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

thanks very much for sharing this most excellent find

the stern mech looks to be the only fitting which is a clear replacement

wonderful that it is so original and in such outstanding condition

frame is constructed with BOCAMA lug pattern 31/I

slightly surprising when Oscar had his own lug patterns

the cycle's Tron et Berthet saddle looks to wear an alloy frame from CEGEDUR

suspect 1958 is about the latest it could be as that is the end for metal acorn knob on the Juy Competition front mech

-----