Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Quality, reliable basic bike computer with cadence?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Quality, reliable basic bike computer with cadence?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-22, 11:29 AM
sal

Bikes: Cannondale Sport Road 500, Motobecane Boris X5 fatbike Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3, Cannondale Topstone

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Cateye Padrone Digital

I use the Cateye Padrone Digital for the reasons you mention. It's Bluetooth so no wires involved. Speed, cadence and mileage.
Likes For sal:
Old 03-22-22, 07:52 PM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
I am looking at getting my girlfriend a better bike computer that has cadence. When I first got in to distance riding I had a Sigma that was wired with the additional cadence sensor. However, after a few thousand miles the cables started giving problems.
However, in this instance I am not wanting a GPS computer. I just want her to be able to track miles and keep tabs on cadence.
The main 2 things I am looking for are reliability (what is going to last for several years with only battery changes, charging) that shows cadence?

As for mileage - trip and total would be nice. Otherwise, just trip. We can tally miles as time goes.
For the use you describe, I think that the Bontrager RIDEtime Elite is very suitable. Another poster has already linked to it, but here it is again.

I don't have years and years of experience with them - only ~4,500 miles of riding - but my impression is that the build quality is pretty good; doesn't "feel like junk" to me. Minor (to me) niggle: On the handlebar mount, I have had zero success with retaining the little elastomer plug that is supposed to cover the screw. It's gone now, and I can live with that.

I have purchased a couple of the RIDEtime Elites as regular retail items, and a couple more on eBay when good deals turned up.

If I were buying sensors now, I would get units in the style of the Garmin Speed Sensor 2 and Cadence Sensor 2.
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 03-23-22, 05:54 AM
John Valuk

I would also comment here that the Bontrager RIDEtime Elite allows some configurability that I find useful. You can specify what is displayed in the bigger-digits upper display area, and also specify what data items are available in the lower display when scrolling through them using the button. The lower display area also includes a "scan" option, and you get to specify the list of data items that are included when "scan" is selected.

For the way I use it, I start a ride by clearing the previous trip data, then setting the lower display to "scan". I have it configured with only two things in the list to scan, so during the ride, the lower display alternates between showing (1) dual display of cadence and heart rate and (2) trip distance. I pretty much don't manually scroll through other data while I'm actively riding; just don't need to.

I think this is a pretty slick unit, for what it is: sort of an old-school digital cyclocomputer, but with drama-free ANT+ sensors.
Old 03-23-22, 08:37 AM
AlBaron

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE...
If I were buying sensors now, I would get units in the style of the Garmin Speed Sensor 2 and Cadence Sensor 2.[/QUOTE]

So sounds like getting those sensors and then connecting them with a phone app like "Wahoo" would be an optimal set up, no?

Alex
Old 03-23-22, 08:51 AM
John Valuk

Originally Posted by AlBaron
So sounds like getting those sensors and then connecting them with a phone app like "Wahoo" would be an optimal set up, no?
I think that what qualifies as "optimal" will have a lot to do with personal preferences.

The RIDEtime Elite suits my (current) personal preferences very well.

I haven't tried doing this myself, but my understanding is that some sensors can support multiple connections simultaneously. If that's the case, then I could imagine someone using something like the RIDEtime Elite to display data, but to be using another connection on a sensor to send data to a smart phone or tablet in a pocket or pack. Again, I haven't tried that myself.
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 03-23-22, 10:35 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by AlBaron
No, not "optimal". You have to have some way to mount the phone and, maybe, keep it dry. And phone screens can be hard to see in direct sunlight. And they are big. And expensive (sure, many people already have them but they might not want to carry it when riding).

It's not a bad option: it could work for some. It's one reason I suggest that people buy sensors that do ANT+ and BT.

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-26-22 at 05:20 AM.
Old 03-23-22, 10:37 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by John Valuk
I haven't tried doing this myself, but my understanding is that some sensors can support multiple connections simultaneously. If that's the case, then I could imagine someone using something like the RIDEtime Elite to display data, but to be using another connection on a sensor to send data to a smart phone or tablet in a pocket or pack. Again, I haven't tried that myself.
ANT+ sensors can be picked up by multiple head units. This feature is one reason I like the "basic" computers that use ANT+.

BT (I'm reasonably sure) is one-to-one.
Old 03-23-22, 10:48 AM
John Valuk

Originally Posted by njkayaker
BT (I'm reasonably sure) is one-to-one.
It's my understanding that some sensors provide additional connectivity by having a second Bluetooth Smart channel. So, two channels could each do their own one-to-one thing.
Old 03-23-22, 10:53 AM
njkayaker

It's my understanding that some sensors provide additional connectivity by having a second Bluetooth Smart channel. So, two channels could each do their own one-to-one thing.
Possible but not at-all common (apparently).

It seems the Garmin sensors have two BT channels (and an ANT+ channel).

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/...th-review.html

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-23-22 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-23-22, 10:59 AM
John Valuk

Possible but not at-all common (apparently).
I based my comment - the one that refers to "some" sensors - on this review by DC Rainmaker for the Garmin Speed Sensor 2 and Cadence Sensor 2.
Old 03-23-22, 11:02 AM
njkayaker

I based my comment - the one that refers to "some" sensors - on this review by DC Rainmaker for the Garmin Speed Sensor 2 and Cadence Sensor 2.
Yeah, I found that too. The ones from Garmin might be the only ones (at the moment) that do this.

(It's useful to be clear that "some" means "few" or "one".)

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-23-22 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-23-22, 11:18 AM
John Valuk

Yeah, I found that too. The ones from Garmin might be the only ones (at the moment) that do this.

(It's useful to be clear that "some" means "few" or "one".)
Wow. Just wow.

I'll note here that my original comment about the possibility of using a simple display for viewing + a phone or tablet stowed away for logging granular data did not state that one would use two Bluetooth channels.

Sensors that have both ANT+ and a single Bluetooth channel have been around for a while.

Last edited by John Valuk; 03-23-22 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-25-22, 01:44 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Get some Bluetooth sensors for the rear hub and crankset and she can use the free Wahoo Fitness app to record cadence along with other data. I've done that for a few years, and sync to Strava later. On most casual rides I never even look at my phone, so I'm not worried about my speed, cadence or distance.

I do use a XOSS G+ on my main road bike, to keep track of that stuff for training or "serious" rides. It's the best buy I've found in a GPS computer with wireless connectivity and works with both Bluetooth and ANT+ sensors. I still have a couple of sets of 2011 era Wahoo sensors which were ANT+ only, so I can still use those with the XOSS G+.

BTW, the "plus" in the "G+" is for ANT+. XOSS also sells a G which is Bluetooth only. Get the G+ for a couple bucks more. That way I can simultaneously share my Wahoo Tickr HR monitor with my phone in Bluetooth and my XOSS G+ via ANT+. The advantage to ANT+ is the ability to share realtime data with more than one device.

But Lezyne and a few others also offer GPS computers with ANT+ and Bluetooth compatibility.
Old 03-25-22, 02:32 AM
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by sal
I use the Cateye Padrone Digital for the reasons you mention. It's Bluetooth so no wires involved. Speed, cadence and mileage.
^ +1 Very happy with the Padrone Digital. All the features you are looking for and is rock solid in performance. Nice sized display too!

https://www.cateye.com/intl/products...ers/CC-PA400B/

Old 04-02-22, 08:53 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
You had reliability issues with the Sigma? I have 3 of those, I have two and my wife has one, they're around 20 years old and still work great. Whereas I have had nothing but short lives out of Cateye computers.

I also have had long life out of VDO, I have two of those and they are both around 15 years old. If all you want is basic with cadence then look at the VDO M6.1
Old 04-03-22, 02:25 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
A Scosche heart rate meter is available that measures cadence. If she keeps up with you, and you know your speed, you know hers, too. I understand not wanting a GPS unit, but they're available for less money than the Padrone and are more reliable, too. You can always use a GPS as a basic 'puter, too, without using the navigation that most of them offer.
Old 04-24-22, 12:36 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.

I am looking at the Cateye Padrone Smart Plus unit now. It appears that uses Bluetooth sensors and not ANT+.

The recommended sensor is the ISC-12 dual speed + cadence sensor.

However, I don't like the way that functions. It is going to be mounted on a Dahon Piazza 20" folding bike, to start out and then hopefully swap around to a different bike depending on the type of bikes we use/where, and the Piazza has no chain stays. With the 20" wheels on the existing frame there isn't a good place to mount this sensor to get both the magnet pickup on the spokes and the crank arm passing over.

Are there separate sensors you would recommend? Being Bluetooth - in theory - any sensor meeting the standards should work, but does that work in practice?

As to this particular computer choice - it has the ability to display a wide range of data on the screen that the other models don't - its more versatile. The text message display might be the only smartphone link usage she'll use, but that is a nice feature above the others that don't link to smartphones. The data side of it linking to a phone I doubt will be much use - but its there to play with.

Adding the sensors this is a more expensive option, but I think the versatility it offers is the way to go.

Edit -

I found the SDS-30 and CDC-30 individual sensors. That is exactly what we need so I ordered the set with the Padron Smart Plus. Looking forward to getting it set up!

Last edited by KC8QVO; 04-24-22 at 02:14 PM.
Likes For KC8QVO:
Old 04-25-22, 06:33 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Does she have a sports watch that can record the data if you buy/mount/connect the sensors? That's what I do. Cadence sensor connected to my watch.
Old 04-26-22, 04:08 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
No on the sports watch, not interested in them. I only know one person that uses one. They are hard to keep an eye on numbers - specifically cadence and speed - while moving.
Old 09-17-22, 04:22 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by KLiNCK
^ +1 Very happy with the Padrone Digital. All the features you are looking for and is rock solid in performance. Nice sized display too!
I just bought one of these and am in the process of installing it.
Hope to report good performance!