Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I yelled at a cyclist, today.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I yelled at a cyclist, today.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-22, 09:41 AM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Oh, crap...... NOW what do we do?

I'm thinking as them bicyclers ride by one of them lays on his AirZound, and yells: Ya'll drive like crap, get off the road! And then they pass the tractor really close. The tractor driver deserves it, right? It is obvious he feels entitled and he is rudely holding up seven bikes. Even though driving tractors on roads shared with bikes is legal, it's just wrong when a tractor slows down a few cyclists.
Likes For venturi95:
Old 05-09-22, 12:05 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I can tolerate peds with their faces buried in their phones because at least I have enough control to avoid hitting them, what worries me is drivers who have their faces and all their senses buried in their smartphone or their infotainment system.
I don't know about that. Even though they're moving slowly, they change directions in an instant, and often without warning. I can count off the top of my head 5 times that has happened to me, once with a collision because I had no time to react. They don't look and can't hear cyclists coming.
Old 05-09-22, 03:45 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Oh, crap...... NOW what do we do?

I don't see any problem here...All I see is a hard working farmer doing his daily job..
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-09-22, 03:47 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by venturi95
it's just wrong when a tractor slows down a few cyclists.
No it's not.
Old 05-09-22, 03:57 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
o
I have no problem calling out a cyclist who’s being a jackass -

This
Likes For DMC707:
Old 05-09-22, 04:57 PM
N2deep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
The rider might have felt unsafe and decided to claim more of the lane to prevent unsafe passes, several studies indicate that we’re a little safer making them breach the opposite lane to pass rather than trying to accommodate an in-lane pass. We see unsafe acts all the time, riding in the opposite direction of flow in a bike lane, no lights and riding against the traffic, way tooo many to yell at..
Old 05-09-22, 05:16 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
So why are they following the tractor/ rake?? Because of the double yellow or they are too slow to pass?? LOL
Unlike roadhog cyclists, I've never seen a tractor go slow ON PURPOSE.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 05-09-22 at 05:19 PM.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 05-09-22, 06:12 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I don't see any problem here...All I see is a hard working farmer doing his daily job..
I'm guessing there's a car behind the photographer who's cursing at all the cyclists.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 05-09-22, 07:19 PM
N2deep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
So why are they following the tractor/ rake?? Because of the double yellow or they are too slow to pass?? LOL
Most tractors have road gears and will run in the mid30’s especially with a light rake, probably much faster than the group.
Old 05-09-22, 07:37 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
They are all OLD guys too. LOL.
Old 05-09-22, 07:48 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that some posters with very high post counts seem to have very little to actually contribute, and just seem to be hanging around, waiting to pick internet arguments or troll?
My ignore list gets larger every day.

Last edited by Bald Paul; 05-09-22 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-09-22, 08:07 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2567 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that some posters with very high post counts seem to have very little to actually contribute, and just seem to be hanging around, waiting to pick internet arguments or troll?
My ignore list gets larger every day.
Currently up to 27. It has made the board so much nicer not seeing the arguments and character assassinations. I have read several pleas for civility but nothing changes. Life is too short.

Old 05-09-22, 11:17 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

No it's not.
I'm quite sure that was heavy sarcasm in that post. It sums up what many drivers say about cyclists.
Old 05-09-22, 11:21 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Aside from those stupid critical mass deals, I've never seen cyclists purposely go slow and try to hold up cars either. Most of them are doing the opposite, trying to break their PR on the Strava segment.
Old 05-10-22, 05:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Aside from those stupid critical mass deals, I've never seen cyclists purposely go slow and try to hold up cars either. Most of them are doing the opposite, trying to break their PR on the Strava segment.

This is why I find the "riding in the lane is what gives cyclists a bad reputation" arguments so irritating. If you press people on this, none of them have actually been held up for more than a minute or so by a cyclist. and it happened to them very few times in their lives. OTOH, I've seen a lot of situations get very dangerous because of some fool's road rage.

​​​​No one actually concerned with safety would recommend or condone drivers yelling at people out of the window of their moving car. It can't be justified as a safety measure no matter how bad the person you're yelling at is behaving. And normalizing yelling just encourages the drivers who scream their terrible ideas of what's correct and/or deliberately cut you off--like the jerk who decided I needed to ride to the right of a right turn lane to a restricted road entrance ramp. I was riding in the middle lane just so people could get past me on the right side. He actually honked, went to his left a lane and a half so he could pass me on my left and yell at me, then swerved back to the right turn lane in front of me to enter the highway. I was going about 20 mph, and there wasn't another car within 100 feet of us.

This is a friggin' biking forum. I think it's pretty stupid for supposed cyclists to be advocating for yelling out of cars. Sorry if people think that makes me some sort of troll, but that says more about them than it does me.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-10-22, 10:35 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
The first and only time I yelled at a cyclist at the top of my lungs I was driving up a hill leading up out of town. Very steep, zero shoulder, many tight blind curves, AKA suicidal. Came up on a young roadie wearing full Marian College kit riding FRAP in low gear. I yelled "Take the lane Bro and put the hammer down!" and followed him at a safe distance with 4 way flashers on. He impressively upshifted and accelerated to the top where the road levels and straightens out where I could pass safely. I've lived in this town over 30 years and have never seen a bicycle on this stretch of road before or since.

Last edited by FBOATSB; 05-10-22 at 10:45 AM.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 05-10-22, 11:08 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Sorry if people think that makes me some sort of troll, but that says more about them than it does me.
Apparently having a high post count and a differing opinion makes you a troll.
Old 05-10-22, 11:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
The first and only time I yelled at a cyclist at the top of my lungs I was driving up a hill leading up out of town. Very steep, zero shoulder, many tight blind curves, AKA suicidal. Came up on a young roadie wearing full Marian College kit riding FRAP in low gear. I yelled "Take the lane Bro and put the hammer down!" and followed him at a safe distance with 4 way flashers on. He impressively upshifted and accelerated to the top where the road levels and straightens out where I could pass safely. I've lived in this town over 30 years and have never seen a bicycle on this stretch of road before or since.

You weren't yelling at him, you were yelling for him. That sounds like fun!
Old 05-10-22, 11:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Also fun to read all the lectures on civility and ignore lists from people who pretty much respond to even the mildest of disagreements with an insult. Being on his ignore list, I'm sure he won't see that, errr I mean "their" and "they"..

Last edited by livedarklions; 05-11-22 at 08:20 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-10-22, 02:36 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
For every driver who yells at me, there's probably ten or way more motorists who pass me properly and without incidence. So I'm thinking, what's wrong with that ONE guy?

But I'd rather be yelled at knowing he sees me instead of being run over with an excuse to the cops that he "didn't even see" me.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 05-10-22, 02:38 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
How did you surmise the person driving the tractor is either hard working or a farmer?

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 05-10-22 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-10-22, 03:07 PM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Now now, I didn't say EVERYONE. Don't be so sensitive!
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 05-11-22, 07:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
How did you surmise the person driving the tractor is either hard working or a farmer?

Weirdest parade I ever saw.
Old 05-11-22, 08:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Daniel4
For every driver who yells at me, there's probably ten or way more motorists who pass me properly and without incidence. So I'm thinking, what's wrong with that ONE guy?

But I'd rather be yelled at knowing he sees me instead of being run over with an excuse to the cops that he "didn't even see" me.

TBH, I can do without either. My main problem with this is that there's no way that yelling out the window from a moving car can be done without the driver taking some attention off of the road ahead of him/her. Obviously, that's a distraction that makes it more likely that driver "won't see" someone or something.

But yeah, I'd rather be yelled at than hit, I just don't think that should be the menu. Pretty sure we're in total agreement on this. It really is a small minority of the drivers who do this, it's just that there's no way it's a safe practice and I'm dismayed to see "cyclists" advocating for it here.
Old 05-11-22, 08:24 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Bicycles and cars are NOT EQUAL, and not even close, therefore this concept of "share the road" is stupid and ridiculous and needs to be put to bed.
I gotta agree with this. Motorcycles and cars (and trucks) can all go the speed limit for any given road no matter what that speed limit is. Bicycles usually can't. Which is why... the shoulder. Or as far to the right as is reasonable.

The other problem no one seems to be talking about is the guy in the car behind me in my car. I slow down for bicyclist, and the person behind me really has no idea why as my vehicle totally blocks their view of the bicyclist in front of me. Since I'm practically coasting, sans needing brakes anymore the person coming up behind me suspects nothing and nearly plows into me. This has happened more than once. That person is usually fuming over the idiot on the bike not sharing the lane by moving to the right to let faster traffic flow freely. That's how I see it.
Likes For shrtdstncrdr:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.