Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

pulled over by police with $150 ticket

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

pulled over by police with $150 ticket

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-08, 12:24 PM
hkboy313

Bikes: caad9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i find it annoying to stop and go for a few blocks and stop again downtown but i guess i havent really noticed me really running through stop lights. now i think of it, i think i do stop which is funny cuz when my coworker told me about this, the only thing that came to mind was ' oh man i better stop doing that'...and i dont even do it! its funny...its good to be on the safe side.

Originally Posted by Scorer75
It's a catch 22.

The Supreme Court ruled that you cannot be randomly stopped and asked for ID, and here's the tricky part, unless you have been accused of a crime.

So, if you are in the bike lane, with a bell, light, reflectors, and stop for the stop sign and put your foot down before continuing you don't need ID, but probably wouldn't get pulled over in the first place. If you get pulled over because you ran a light, they can take you in for not having and/or producing ID.

The answer you are not looking for is yes, you can get detained for not having ID. However, in my experience, cops have better things to do, unless you open your mouth to them, then all bets are off.

I would like to add one other thing. I love how someone who lives in the sticks with 3 stop signs and 1 red light (a flashing one of course) in their entire city tells people in NYC whether they should or should not filter/run lights/run stop signs/etc. Maybe, just maybe, things are different here than they are where you live. I recommend coming to NY to commute for a week before judging others. I'm willing to bet a bunch of you who have responded in this thread would replace your chamois with Depends if you rode my commute.
Old 07-24-08, 12:26 PM
crash66
Lucky 47

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Allez Elite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guess murders must be down in NY.

If your friend ran the red, why didn't he just run from the cop too? It's not like they could catch or identify him.
Old 07-24-08, 12:37 PM
coldass
Just for fun...

Bikes: Cinelli Pro Estrada, Serotta Ti, De Rosa Neo Primato, Turner Flux and Spot, Baum Espresso, Yeti ARC-X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ripperj
I'll wager every one of you has blown a stop sign before
I ran a stop sign once and paid a price. Went on the left of about a dozen cars all taking their turn at a four-way stop in downtown Huntington Beach.

At the same time as I rolled through the stop the car on the left did as well - out of turn mind you. What made it special is that it was a black and white...

I had to lock-up and skid to miss him. He got a fright and jammed on his brakes as well.

I rolled through - he parked in the middle of the intersection for a few moments then turned right after me.

He chased me down. Waved me over. Then gave me a solid yelling. Checked my ID - saying just as well I had it as he would have carted me to goal. He then wrote a ticket. I took it on the chin and said nothing through the whole berating.

I was in the wrong for sure. But so was he as we both ran the stop concurrent. I feel to this day his response was more out of busted pride and dominance as much as pinging me for an offense.

I paid the fine.

We run stops and reds. But so do cops.
Old 07-24-08, 12:42 PM
Richard_Rides
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never break the law when the man is looking. When he's got his back turned, total anarchy is how I play it.
Old 07-24-08, 01:01 PM
Richard_Rides
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scorer75
It's a catch 22.

The Supreme Court ruled that you cannot be randomly stopped and asked for ID, and here's the tricky part, unless you have been accused of a crime.
In practice, this rule is circumvented easily and often. The reason for being stopped is never random, the cops can simply say you were "weaving" so they stopped you. Here in Los Angeles you can be stopped for having the wrong skin color. Supreme court rulings don't apply to real life.
Old 07-24-08, 01:23 PM
ruppster
Bike Builder

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by patentcad
You are all Velo Hooligans.
Group buy?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Hooligans.jpg (98.4 KB, 21 views)
Old 07-24-08, 01:33 PM
hkboy313

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard_Rides
In practice, this rule is circumvented easily and often. The reason for being stopped is never random, the cops can simply say you were "weaving" so they stopped you. Here in Los Angeles you can be stopped for having the wrong skin color. Supreme court rulings don't apply to real life.
ya its not only them maybe being prejudice but racist too...ya...real life, the real world?? i cant believe that...
Old 07-24-08, 02:30 PM
hkboy313

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ruppster
Group buy?
what does velo hool...mean?
Old 07-24-08, 02:37 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 941 Posts
Originally Posted by hkboy313
... i read a link online that says use your own discretion when running the light...

https://www.bicycledefensefund.org/summons.html
If you are talking about the link you posted, it certainly doesn't say what you said it does.

4. Tickets for running red lights: These are trickier to fight, because it is actually against the law to run red lights. You should use your discretion in deciding whether you want to fight a red light ticket or not.
Old 07-24-08, 03:15 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
If you are talking about the link you posted, it certainly doesn't say what you said it does.
That's the best laugh I've had all day
Old 07-24-08, 03:19 PM
hkboy313

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker

if you havent read, i posted earlier about misreading it
Old 07-24-08, 03:34 PM
KidTruth

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Allez Elite, 2007 Trek 7.3 FX, 2005 generic Schwinn Mountain Bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yaya131
I have some friends in Ann Arbor who ride a lot, and 2 of them got tickets for $150 each for riding through a stop sign. When they were talking to the cops, the cops said it was their sole job this summer to give tickets to people on bikes. I don't really see how that is for the common good. On a bicycle, coming to a "complete stop" is not very clearly defined. Also, when the intersection is empty, I don't think it's really necessary to come to a full, complete stop. I always brake and slow down, but I don't usually fully stop.

Also, if you don't have your ID, they call your name into the station to see if you lied about your address.
Seriously? Do you need someone to define "complete stop" for you? I'm pretty sure it just has the one definition.
Old 07-24-08, 03:43 PM
bitterspeak
Cat 7 Pro

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yaya131
I have some friends in Ann Arbor who ride a lot, and 2 of them got tickets for $150 each for riding through a stop sign. When they were talking to the cops, the cops said it was their sole job this summer to give tickets to people on bikes. I don't really see how that is for the common good. On a bicycle, coming to a "complete stop" is not very clearly defined. Also, when the intersection is empty, I don't think it's really necessary to come to a full, complete stop. I always brake and slow down, but I don't usually fully stop.

Here is the funny thing... it doesn't matter what YOU think is neccessary. If you don't come to a "complete stop" (Yes, a complete stop as in no movement), you'll get a ticket as you would if you rolled a stop sign in a car. Just because you can't kill anyone running a stop sign doesn't mean you are exempt from the law.
Old 07-24-08, 03:44 PM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
What are you guys talking about? The guy ran a red light, got pulled over, got a ticket? WHY!!!???

That's just crazy. I know a cyclist who went thru a GREEN light, and another driver went thru a red light and hit the cyclist. The cyclist had multiple injuries. The cop stopped the guy who went thru the red light, but only to make sure the car didn't have too much damage.

Then the cop said "You go right ahead thru those red lights, it was that damn cyclist who went thru green lights who was at fault."

Sarcasm aside, I'm not sure how running red lights would look in court. Would it be your friend's (are you sure it's not you?) word against the cop?... is the quality of the cop's statement deemed to be of higher order than a 'mere civilian'? Who knows.
Old 07-24-08, 04:15 PM
Arrowtalon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As people said above. Cyclists are required to, and should, obey all traffic laws as motorized vehicles unless otherwise posted. There are many reasons for this, but chiefly:

Motorists in most parts of the country, especially rural parts, really do not like cyclists and don't view bikes as transportation. Violating the laws only leads to more irritation with cyclists.

Some people, including many cops, are real jerks with cyclists. But it is not an excuse to say cyclists are exempt from traffic laws because other people are jerks.

I do wish they specified some laws better. For example: When at three way stops at a T-intersection with bike lanes on all sides, it doesn't make any sense to stop the cyclist unless he's crossing another traffic lane or making a left hand turn. Some cops will burn cyclists even when there is no physical way that they should cross paths with a car, and that bugs me.
Old 07-24-08, 04:59 PM
jefferee
Que CERA, CERA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by https://www.bicycledefensefund.org/summons.html
4. Tickets for running red lights: These are trickier to fight, because it is actually against the law to run red lights. You should use your discretion in deciding whether you want to fight a red light ticket or not.
Gold.

(N.B. emphasis added to quote).
Old 07-24-08, 05:03 PM
entukay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually take a glance around to see if the cops are near, and then i run it.
Old 07-24-08, 05:09 PM
bigtea

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A $150 ticket is cheaper than a $1500/day hospital room. The easiest thing to do is obey the law. We expect that of motorists.
Old 07-24-08, 05:11 PM
UniversalFrost
AiM SmAlL mIsS sMaLl

Bikes: 08 Spec. Rockhopper, 11 Spec. Crux, 04 Cervelo Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
every day, and the same freak'n sign. Funny thing is that it is down the block from the police station.
Old 07-24-08, 06:13 PM
artimus

Bikes: 2001-Brodie Spark, 2005-Trek 2200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most every one on the way to work in the morning. Coming home it is a totally different story. Traffic volume for me dictates my level of lawfulness. I like blowing the light RIGHT IN FRONT of the cop shop!!
Old 07-24-08, 06:29 PM
Az B
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
And if I get a ticket I won't come on BF and whine about it.

Az
Old 07-24-08, 09:18 PM
hkboy313

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigtea
A $150 ticket is cheaper than a $1500/day hospital room. The easiest thing to do is obey the law. We expect that of motorists.
yes safe riding to all you guys!
Old 07-24-08, 09:35 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Catch me if you can flatfoot.