Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Read this if you want your blood to boil:

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-09, 01:12 PM
JimmyJars
highflange.com

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I live in the fine city of Houston, Texas. We are home to one of the worst journalist outfits I have ever had the displeasure to deal with and that is The Houston Chronicle. Anyway today they ran a story on governor Perry vetoing the bill that would make it law to give cyclists at least three feet of room despite overwhelming senate and house support. Here's the story:

AUSTIN — Texas cyclists have turned their wrath toward Gov. Rick Perry into a petition drive asking voters to keep him in mind during the election — and not in a good way.

They want Perry to pay for his veto of a bill promoting safety for cyclists and others categorized as “vulnerable road users.”

Perry's veto last month was particularly puzzling because there was no formal opposition to SB 488, which passed the House 142-0 and 26-5 in the Senate.

Also, roughly 94 percent of more than 1,000 phone calls, e-mails and letters to Perry's office supported the measure.

“There has been an overwhelming community roar from Democrats and Republicans that used to call themselves Perry supporters,” said Leslie Luciano, who filed an open records request with Perry's office to obtain the correspondence.

“He underestimated the power of this community at a time when he should be grabbing any support he can as he heads to a close primary race,” said Luciano, community relations manager and advocacy coordinator for Austin's largest bicycle shop.

Perry faces U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, in the GOP gubernatorial primary next year.

Perry's office defends the veto, contending that protections in the proposed bill were unnecessary.

“Operators of a motor vehicle are already subject to penalties when he or she is at fault for causing a collision or operating recklessly, whether it is against a ‘vulnerable user' or not,” Perry spokeswoman Allison Castle said.

Nearly 3,000 Texans have signed the petition.

The bill would have required motorists to give cyclists and others, including pedestrians, runners, motorcyclists, construction and maintenance workers, at least 3 feet clearance when they pass.

Drivers of commercial vehicles would have had to stay at least 6 feet away. Violators could have faced a fine of $500 or a Class B misdemeanor in the case of injury.
Bipartisan support

Some Texans who encouraged Perry to veto the bill complained it would be impractical on two-lane roads. The bill applied only to roads with at least two lanes in the same direction.

SB 488 was written by two Republican prosecutors and had the support of law enforcement, Stallings said. The bill also had bipartisan support with Rep. Linda Harper-Brown, R-Irving, carrying in the House and Sen. Rodney Ellis, D-Houston in the Senate.

“This bill had wide popular support and very little opposition,” Ellis said. “Simply put, there was no good reason to oppose it, and the governor made a mistake in vetoing it. ”

Cyclists plan to collect more than 10,000 petition signatures and would call it off only with some dramatic gesture on Perry's part.

“He would have to sit down and talk to us and come up with an actionable vision for bicycling — something that we should do and improve and make Texas a better place, a more inviting place, a safer place for cyclists,” said Robin Stallings, executive director of Bike Texas, an advocacy group that promotes bicycle access, safety and education.
Veto encouraged

Some Texans wanted Perry to veto the measure.

“You will have radical bikers taking license numbers of cars and reporting them because they thought they passed too close,” Kenneth Bain of Duncanville wrote Perry. “If you sign this bill you are letting a small minority rule the voting masses and it will not sit well at election time.”

Herman May of Garland told Perry in an e-mail: “Ignore the din of the uninformed masses. Stay the course and veto this bill knowing you have the support of lawful, competent vehicular cyclists.”
Now this story is nothing special, but the comments are what will really get you going. You can read them all here:
https://www.chron.com/disp/discuss.mp...29436.html?p=1

I've quoted a couple of choice ones for your displeasure:

I agree with the Gov on this one... How can you safely keep 3 or 6 feet away from a cyclist on a public road?? How about cracking down on the behavior of the people riding down the road******************************??
I was not aware of this bill and I'm am SO GLAD he vetoed it. It would have been complete crap. I can't count the number of bicyclists who ride down the middle of their lane (quite PROPERLY I would add) as the "vehicles" they are, and then roll through the red lights because "they're not really vehicles after all." Like most liberals, they want more than their share of rights, and few if any responsibilities.
i like how cyclist want all these rights, specially when there is a side walk and there riding in the middle of the F#### street.........get a car or stop *****in!
Old 07-15-09, 01:19 PM
dsellinger
slowest!

Bikes: Felt, Atala, Kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Texas must have a low blood boiling point. Maybe the elevation?
Old 07-15-09, 01:21 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 713 Times in 367 Posts
Didn't the bill pass with a veto proof majority? What does it take to override a veto in Texas?
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-15-09, 01:33 PM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Out of the 3 comments you quoted, I can't really argue with the middle one.
This is why I RARELY run a red light, at least if there's other cars around.
We ***** and moan about our rights, and then take advantage of them by running lights?

That said, I've been calling it TEX-ASS ever since I moved here in '98.
Old 07-15-09, 01:33 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Age old debate. Ignorant drivers, righteous riders. Take whatever side you want, but at crunch time, the multi-ton vehicle wins.

Entrepreneurs have tried to sell jerseys with "Share the Road-It's the Law" on the back, and bicyclists don't buy them. Go figure.
Old 07-15-09, 01:36 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 713 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Entrepreneurs have tried to sell jerseys with "Share the Road-It's the Law" on the back, and bicyclists don't buy them. Go figure.
You want a bullseye on your back?
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-15-09, 01:40 PM
amillhench
TXHC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
This bill was a moot point. There is already plenty of legislation of the books protecting cyclists that people are unaware of and goes completely unenforced. Lobbyists waste so much time on "new", unnecessary legislation, but let's focus on enforcing the laws we already have and educating both cyclists and drivers instead of more legislation. Something tells me even if this did pass, drivers would be ignorant and most cyclists would continue to ride irresponsibly.
Old 07-15-09, 01:40 PM
Element GT

Bikes: '15 Prolite '04 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get 2 feet, you get 4.
Old 07-15-09, 01:43 PM
Vanhecht
Aspiring Fred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Houston is a suck ass place to ride unfortunately. Houston is not friendly compared to most of the rest of Texas.
Old 07-15-09, 01:45 PM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
I think it's a stupid law. what are you suposed to carry a yard stick with you now every where you go. Not only thta but it's not enforcible so it's just plain stupid. however it's not stupid becasue of why the Govnr thinks, he sounds like a jerk. Fortunately for us most drivers on the road give us respect those that don't will continue to do so or even be more spiteful if the law was enacted.
Old 07-15-09, 01:50 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Didn't the bill pass with a veto proof majority? What does it take to override a veto in Texas?
They could override the veto if they were still in session, but the legislative session has ended. Truth be told, I don't think this would have made one bit of difference to my ride safety. I ride probably 80% VC and 20% scofflaw (basically follow the rules of the road; any exceptions I make are only when they don't violate anyone else's right of way). I wave a lot of at motorists, and when I do have to slow them up, I make a point of getting out of the way as soon as possible and waving them around when space permits.

I've mentioned this to a few people, including the head of BikeTexas: Instead of requesting redundant laws, how about lobbying to include some cycling traffic law education in the 6 hour course people can take in Texas to get a ticket dismissed? I think that would make a bigger positive impact on my safety, and it would be targeted to road users who have self-selected themselves as not properly following traffic law. Also, they pay for the education themselves. Maybe one hour out of the six could be devoted to cycle traffic law, unless the ticket the person received was involved a bicycle, and then the majority of the time could be devoted to cycle traffic law, vehicular cycling, and bicycle accident avoidance.

This seems much more sensible than the safe passage bill that was vetoed. The kinds of people I worry about, the ignorant, the inattentive and the malicious, would not be deterred by the bill had it become law. Those are the people I worry about. They are also the most likely to get tickets in general, so they would target themselves for a little re-education with respect to cyclists under my proposal.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 07-15-09, 01:52 PM
botto 

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
a&s
Old 07-15-09, 01:52 PM
amillhench
TXHC

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I've mentioned this to a few people, including the head of BikeTexas: Instead of requesting redundant laws, how about lobbying to include some cycling traffic law education in the 6 hour course people can take in Texas to get a ticket dismissed? I think that would make a bigger positive impact on my safety, and it would be targeted to road users who have self-selected themselves as not properly following traffic law. Also, they pay for the education themselves. Maybe one hour out of the six could be devoted to cycle traffic law, unless the ticket the person received was involved a bicycle, and then the majority of the time could be devoted to cycle traffic law, vehicular cycling, and bicycle accident avoidance.
This is exactly what we need more of!
Old 07-15-09, 01:53 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Vanhecht
Houston is a suck ass place to ride unfortunately. Houston is not friendly compared to most of the rest of Texas.
The times I've been through Houston I didn't feel safe driving my car.
Old 07-15-09, 01:55 PM
kwrides

Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix, 2007 Windsor The Hour, 2008 Kona Jake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by d2create
Out of the 3 comments you quoted, I can't really argue with the middle one.
This is why I RARELY run a red light, at least if there's other cars around.
We ***** and moan about our rights, and then take advantage of them by running lights?

That said, I've been calling it TEX-ASS ever since I moved here in '98.
I totally agree
Old 07-15-09, 01:55 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
a&s
You forgot to mention using the search engine. When are they going to ban your predictable behind indefinitely? Do you tell your clients that you're billing them for all the research you're doing on BF?
Old 07-15-09, 01:56 PM
kwrides

Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix, 2007 Windsor The Hour, 2008 Kona Jake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have not read the bill, but I have been told that it was loaded with pork and that was why it was not passed. I was also told that it said we could not ride side by side.

I would not sign a petition if I had not read the bill 1st.
Old 07-15-09, 02:08 PM
botto 

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Old 07-15-09, 02:11 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
OK. That was funny! Carry on.
Old 07-15-09, 02:14 PM
BroadSTPhilly
The Haberdasher

Bikes: Panasonic AL-7000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
a&s
+1 and who cares?
Old 07-15-09, 02:16 PM
xerocoma

Bikes: Lemond Tourmalet, Giant mountain bike and a Cannondale Adventure 400 hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty typical neanderthal responses from Texas ****ers who don't have a clue or any respect for their fellow travellers...

BTW - I cycle regularly in Spring and The Woodlands and only occassionally have difficulties with drivers... I signal turns and lane changes and only roll a stop if there is NO other traffic of any kind present. My movement in traffic is better signalled and more disciplined than that of almost every driver I encounter.
Old 07-15-09, 02:19 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rick Perry is a dope and people in Texas are surprised? That may explain a lot....
Old 07-15-09, 02:26 PM
scorpio516

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kwrides
I have not read the bill, but I have been told that it was loaded with pork and that was why it was not passed.
It passed overwhelmingly. Out of the 173 TX state congressmen, only 5 voted against it...
I really don't care what the bill said, it usually is political suicide to go against the will of 97% of the population.
Old 07-15-09, 02:33 PM
dsellinger
slowest!

Bikes: Felt, Atala, Kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
97% of people might vote for no taxes for the year too, doesn't mean it should pass.

Oh and how about a move to A&S mods
Old 07-15-09, 02:39 PM
bigskymacadam
so whatcha' want?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm glad botto is still around.

Cycling Rocks! | Local Race Photos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.