Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mushroomed brake boss

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Mushroomed brake boss

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-20, 02:00 PM
relative4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mushroomed brake boss

I'm dealing with a V-brake boss that has been slightly mushroomed. Does somebody make a tool to machine it down to spec, or do I need to go at it with a file?
Old 02-26-20, 02:23 PM
relative4

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please disregard, I just realized the boss is replaceable. Duh.
Old 02-26-20, 02:48 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
A file, used intelligently, will also work; I have done this successfully. The mushrooming is usually right at the end so little metal is needed to be removed. Go slow and check frequently. It is not necessarily a disaster if you take a little too much off the end.
Old 02-26-20, 04:50 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by relative4
I'm dealing with a V-brake boss that has been slightly mushroomed. Does somebody make a tool to machine it down to spec, or do I need to go at it with a file?

Bicycle Research makes a tool for this purpose:

But careful work with a file ought to do the job, too.
Old 02-26-20, 06:09 PM
dsbrantjr

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Bicycle Research makes a tool for this purpose:

But careful work with a file ought to do the job, too.
Interesting tool, I wonder how one gets it started straight, since the mushroomed part is generally right at the end. Is it piloted somehow?
Old 02-26-20, 08:42 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
I usually just use a strip of production/emery cloth and shoe shine as the initial step. Andy
Old 02-26-20, 10:26 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Dremel tool with cylinder shaped grinding wheel. Takes about 5 seconds. Polish with steel wool. Done deal.
Old 02-27-20, 03:44 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
Dremel tool with cylinder shaped grinding wheel. Takes about 5 seconds. Polish with steel wool. Done deal.
Yike's ramzilla, that approach can take a LOT of metal off in a hurry. The really precision metalworking guys (tool and diemakers, moldmakers) are super talented and have a lot of experience. They use a lot of small hand files and what are called "rifflers". And we have Andrew talking about emery cloth, and dsbrantjr talking about very careful use of files.

I've been fooling around with metal working and bike wrenching for a long time and I'd really avoid power tool stuff. Even though Dremel tools used to be made in my home town, and my Dad was VP of sales for a company (DuMore) that made flexible shaft tools and die grinders (which are Dremel tools on steroids).

But maybe you're a tool and diemaker, or are just way more coordinated that I am!
Old 02-27-20, 10:24 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Here's a picture of rifflers, btw. Made by Grobet (good brand), sold by Gesswein (no connection to me). The tips are about an inch long.

Old 02-27-20, 11:06 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Rifflers are not the file I would reach for to remove a mushroomed end of a brake boss. Too little flat surface width to nicely keep the file flat to the boss while also wrapping your stroke around the boss. Andy
Old 02-28-20, 08:49 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Yike's ramzilla, that approach can take a LOT of metal off in a hurry. The really precision metalworking guys (tool and diemakers, moldmakers) are super talented and have a lot of experience. They use a lot of small hand files and what are called "rifflers". And we have Andrew talking about emery cloth, and dsbrantjr talking about very careful use of files.

I've been fooling around with metal working and bike wrenching for a long time and I'd really avoid power tool stuff. Even though Dremel tools used to be made in my home town, and my Dad was VP of sales for a company (DuMore) that made flexible shaft tools and die grinders (which are Dremel tools on steroids).

But maybe you're a tool and diemaker, or are just way more coordinated that I am!
Having worked in the machining industry, most tool and die makers would rather use a power too whenever they can, it just a matter of saving time. Some detail work requires the rifflers, but not mush.
IMHO, the emry cloth approach would be the quickest, easiest way to go.(after replacing with a new one)
Likes For leob1:
Old 02-28-20, 10:19 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by leob1
most tool and die makers would rather use a power too whenever they can
Which is why my Dad had a job back in the 60s! A modern Dumore Die Grinder below. A little like a Dremel, but the one shown will last a lifetime and has replaceable bearings and brushes, IIRC. Also can take nearly a 100% duty cycle. They do cost 3 times more though...
Old 02-28-20, 10:32 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Which is why my Dad had a job back in the 60s! A modern Dumore Die Grinder below. A little like a Dremel, but the one shown will last a lifetime and has replaceable bearings and brushes, IIRC. Also can take nearly a 100% duty cycle. They do cost 3 times more though...
In 45 years of hobby fabricating I've worn out a few Dremels and a couple Makita 1/4" die grinders. Were I wealthy I would go pneumatic. Andy (who now has one of these too)

Old 02-28-20, 11:19 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
In 45 years of hobby fabricating I've worn out a few Dremels and a couple Makita 1/4" die grinders. Were I wealthy I would go pneumatic. Andy (who now has one of these too)
With pneumatic, you need to have an adequate compressor. My cheap Chinese compressor (I speak disparagingly, but it's lasted 10 years) is not up to the task. Hmmm. Were I wealthy, I'd install a Quincy compressor and could run all of the high-torque, high-quality pneumatics you can shake a stick at.

But before I install a $4000 compressor, I'd probably go for a DuMore. I have a Dumore flexible shaft tool from 1968 that still works well. If I needed to have a go-to Dremel type tool for high-duty cycle every day, I'd get a Dumore. The die-cast metal housings hold real, industrial quality bearings. You can replace brushes if they wear out. Made in the USA (Mauston, Wi, I believe, whereas the original plant was in Racine, WI). But they are 300 or 400 bucks for the small, 1/10 HP ones.

PS That Makita thing looks useful.
Old 03-01-20, 04:34 AM
Patty Up North

Bikes: Ghost HTX 7500 2005 & Fuji Touring 2016

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Interesting tool, I wonder how one gets it started straight, since the mushroomed part is generally right at the end. Is it piloted somehow?
Never seen one of those before. But I think that one could align it 'close enough' with a long M6 screw.

I would just file it, or put it in my lathe... If you have a belt sander or a bench grinder, it is easy to round it again.

But im also a precision mecanic, working metal for 10 years. I know not everybody has the tools or skills I have.
But carefully filing should be good enough.
Old 03-01-20, 07:42 AM
dsbrantjr

Having worked in the machining industry, most tool and die makers would rather use a power too whenever they can, it just a matter of saving time. Some detail work requires the rifflers, but not mush.
IMHO, the emry cloth approach would be the quickest, easiest way to go.(after replacing with a new one)
Sometimes, if a few file strokes will do the job, it is faster than setting up a machine tool and safer (in terms of overdoing it) than a handheld power tool.
Old 03-01-20, 09:30 AM
dsbrantjr

Sometimes, if a few file strokes will do the job, it is faster than setting up a machine tool and safer (in terms of overdoing it) than a handheld power tool.
Old 03-01-20, 04:45 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

I'm trying to imagine the lathe and work piece set up that would swing a frame and keep the boss coaxial with the lathe spindle Andy (Who in the time it took to write this could have filed the boss's end down)
Old 03-01-20, 05:49 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,910 Times in 1,140 Posts
Andy,
It is a replaceable post so just unscrew it and chuck it up. Smiles, MH