Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Hammerhead Karoo 2 Discussion Thread

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Hammerhead Karoo 2 Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-21, 10:18 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
https://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/...oo-gps-review/
Old 06-05-21, 01:07 AM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
FYI - that review is of the Karoo 1. The Karoo 2 is smaller (and has sound)
Old 06-05-21, 09:43 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
yep - was going to say the same thing. There have been many many software updates since that was written too.

The K2 is around the size of the 1030. It has an adaptor that seamlessly snaps into the back that fits Garmin style mounts, but it’s native mount is really awesome and best in class. Inserts that fit K-edge and others available from Raceware. There are also replacement color skins available too.
Old 06-05-21, 10:10 AM
Catnmandoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
yep - was going to say the same thing. There have been many many software updates since that was written too.

The K2 is around the size of the 1030. It has an adaptor that seamlessly snaps into the back that fits Garmin style mounts, but it’s native mount is really awesome and best in class. Inserts that fit K-edge and others available from Raceware. There are also replacement color skins available too.
Well, it's about 3/4 inch shorter in length but the screen size isn't that much smaller. I'll take a picture side-by-side later. I've 2 rides on a new Karoo 2, really like this unit,
Old 06-05-21, 11:55 AM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by Catnmandoo
Well, it's about 3/4 inch shorter in length but the screen size isn't that much smaller. I'll take a picture side-by-side later. I've 2 rides on a new Karoo 2, really like this unit,
Me too. We’ve started traveling a lot with our bikes and we think it’s navigation is the best. There’s some really neat things you can do with RWGPS routes and sharing that have been helpful.

Varia implementation is best in class, ANT+ light support is great. Audio turn by turn is a singular amongst bike computers. I sideload a weather radar app and use that keep an eye on precipitation in the area.

I’m pretty happy with this thing.
Old 06-05-21, 12:25 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Originally Posted by Catnmandoo
There is nothing I dislike after 2 days of use. One thing occurred to me right off is for folks who don't want a touch screen, this thing has 4 functional buttons. I'd bet thats handy in winter with thick gloves.

Last edited by Steve B.; 06-05-21 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-05-21, 12:31 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
Thanks. This popped up in my Chrome recommended reading thing. I'm not interested enough at this point to delve into the details so deeply, and didn't think people are still waiting reviews of the first one, so it seemed it might be of interest in here. Guess I need to pay more attention. 🙂
Old 06-08-21, 11:14 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Very much liking this unit so far, Very easy to setup and get configured. Hammerhead has done a very good job on this. Screen image and resolution is crisp and sharp. It can operate in white text on black (which I prefer) or black text on white, and I then run brightness down about 20% to save on battery life. With 4 rides in, basic use seems to be spot on the rated 12 hr.s life, I saw more usage when doing a full nav. It allows connection to a lot pf different activity trackers, I use RWGPS. Once connected it shows me my RWGPS routes on screen, no need to connect via an iQ type app, very seamless and quick. Connected with no issues to my speed sensors and Di2, but does not offer as much configuration options for Di2 as does Garmin.

I would not call it a Garmin Killer, but its as good a unit as an Edge 830 or 1030 in my opinion, the OS and software is where it should be and Hammerhead is diligent and pushing upgrades and updates as needed.

Last edited by Steve B.; 06-08-21 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-09-21, 09:56 PM
Seattle Forrest

I think it's already there. I've had both Wahoo (ELEMNT and BOLT) and Garmin (everything going back to when they started with bike computers) and I've switched completely to the Karoo. By year end, at their rate of improvement, I think it will be pretty obvious. It's probably a slight click below the 1030 now, but then again, it's $200 less so not sure that's a fair comparison. Software updates with feature upgrades are coming pretty much every 2 weeks. If navigation is important to you, I think the Karoo is clearly better. Map quality is better for sure.
When you have time time, I would love to hear more about how it compares to Garmin. I'm going to continue using a Garmin watch to record my rides, I seem to be coming into the market for a bike computer to (1) show my power info, and (2) for mapping. What does the K2 bring to the table over a Garmin, or using an old and expendable phone on the bars?

Two features I would like to have are terrain shading based on steepness, and the ability to see my critical power chart and how my current effort fits into it. Can the Karoo do either of those? Does it have any kind of popularity heat maps? What other cool stuff that I haven't thought to want is it going to make me smile with?

I'm not in a hurry, I'll be grateful to hear your thoughts whenever it's convenient for you. Thanks!
Old 06-10-21, 05:53 PM
ccrrar

Bikes: Calfee Luna Pro w/ full Campy Record, Trek Domane SL7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Does it support Garmin Varia radar?

Thanks,
Old 06-10-21, 06:41 PM
Steve B.

When you have time time, I would love to hear more about how it compares to Garmin. I'm going to continue using a Garmin watch to record my rides, I seem to be coming into the market for a bike computer to (1) show my power info, and (2) for mapping. What does the K2 bring to the table over a Garmin, or using an old and expendable phone on the bars?

Two features I would like to have are terrain shading based on steepness, and the ability to see my critical power chart and how my current effort fits into it. Can the Karoo do either of those? Does it have any kind of popularity heat maps? What other cool stuff that I haven't thought to want is it going to make me smile with?

I'm not in a hurry, I'll be grateful to hear your thoughts whenever it's convenient for you. Thanks!
Some thoughts after a weeks and multiple rides and after multiple years on a Garmin 810, 1000, Wahoo Bolt and a Garmin 1030.

Battery life is not as good as Garmin. Im seeing the rated 12 hrs with no navigation. Less with nav or when connected to my Di2 system. But at worse it would get me thru a century, at least 8-10 hrs use and I'm OK with this.

If you are using RWGPS or Strava to create routes, its actually easier to access those routes. Once you setup a link to one of those systems, the routes are shown on the route screen of the Karoo. Its easier and faster than using the RWGPS iQ app on a Garmin.

I don't use an power functions, so cannot comment.

You can configure the data screens to be white text on black, or the reverse, the screen resolution is a huge improvement over a Garmin, though due to the text size on Garmin screens, I never had issues reading data or a map on the Garmin. The Karoo screen is just much crisper and cleaner.
so's the map. The yellow chevron and course screen on the map is easier to see than a Garmin pink line.

TBT is also very good and i find the Karoo processes stuff like very fast turn info, like a left, immediately followed by a right. The processor on a Garmin is so slow it often lags on fast turns, the Karoo reacts faster to position and directions.

The Karoo is very easy to get setup and everything connected effortlessly. Hammerhead is also MUCH better at pushing updates than Garmin, who sucks, i still have buggy BlueTooth issues with my 1030 that Garmin will never fix. Hammerhead gets around this by skipping the BT connection to a phone, instead using Wifi directly, That means a requirement for a WiFi connection via a cellular SIMM card, or local WiFi or a hotspot tether to your phone (which works effortlessly). I actually understand the avoidance of doing a phone BT link as thats a connection out of Hammerheads control and is an issue that has plagued Garmin and is a constant source of issues,

No good off road and mt. bike mapping or nav. as yet. They need to intergrate with TrailForks, though I'm told that Kamoots has decent off road and mt. bike mapping, so maybe thats an option.

The device re-routes quickly, but offers no options as to what route it'll give you. They need to improve this area, including adding a return to start, follow current track, that Garmin offers.

Im very pleased with the devise so far, will keep it and am somewhat glad to be away from Garmin.

Last edited by Steve B.; 06-10-21 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-10-21, 07:59 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by ccrrar
Does it support Garmin Varia radar?

Thanks,
yes. The implementation on the Karoo is actually better than on a Garmin unit. It’s very well done.
Old 06-10-21, 09:14 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Hammerhead gets around this by skipping the BT connection to a phone, instead using Wifi directly, That means a requirement for a WiFi connection via a cellular SIMM card, or local WiFi or a hotspot tether to your phone (which works effortlessly). I actually understand the avoidance of doing a phone BT link as thats a connection out of Hammerheads control and is an issue that has plagued Garmin and is a constant source of issues,
What does a wifi connection get you when you ride? If I don't do that, what will I be giving up? (Mobile hotspot feature drains the phone battery quickly.) I'm guessing it won't be a deal breaker but would love to understand more.

I either leave my phone home when I ride, or keep it in a pocket BT connected to my watch. The watch can tell me about texts etc.

When plan a route in advance I normally use Connect to plan it if it's on roads, or Gaia for hiking and climbing.
Old 06-10-21, 10:45 PM
JohnJ80

What does a wifi connection get you when you ride? If I don't do that, what will I be giving up? (Mobile hotspot feature drains the phone battery quickly.) I'm guessing it won't be a deal breaker but would love to understand more.

I either leave my phone home when I ride, or keep it in a pocket BT connected to my watch. The watch can tell me about texts etc.

When plan a route in advance I normally use Connect to plan it if it's on roads, or Gaia for hiking and climbing.
The connection is only for downloading routes from their cloud, sync activities, unit settings, etc…. In a ride, it does not need a connection unless you are using its live tracking. Then that can be via a SIM if you install one or via a phone as hotspot wifi. If you were to sideload other apps (it’s easy with the android tools) then you may need live data if, say, you had a weather radar app. Wifi through hotspot is not a terrible power consumer but is pretty snappy over LTE and is typically less than cellular in most cases.

you can drop a pin on the map and the Karoo will route to it. You can also route to a POI. You can route home or back to the start. Very easy to change a route while riding. Their dashboard runs extremely well on a phone browser and is actually best in class for device mobile route creation but you do need connectivity and syncing is super fast.

you do not need an internet connection to ride. In fact you can be in airplane mode. I never connect my phone while riding and my Karoo is almost never connected to the internet while riding.

however, once the ride is ended and at the first possible internet connection opportunity, the device instantly syncs and will sync with many of the online services - RWGPS, Strava, Training Peaks, Xert, etc…

With a paired BT speaker you also can get audio turn by turn directions. This, in an urban or suburban environment or in traffic, is a safety game changer.

Varia implementation is best in class over even Garmin.

it will control ANT+ lights. I use the Trek/Bontrager Flare/Ion pair.

maps are top end if not best in class and getting better all the time. Display is best in class and screen operates with the speed, control and alacrity of a smartphone screen.

all functions and operation can be accomplished by using buttons alone as well as touchscreen gestures (both provide complete control). I find this invaluable when riding in the winter.

the mount is terrific. There are compatible inserts available for K-edge and other mounts. Close the Gap will have theirs out in less than a month they tell me.

Strava and RWGPS starred routes sync automatically. RWGPS is exceptional especially for shared routes. Strava Live segments are also supported - I don’t use them - but many have said it’s a best in class implementation.

that said, it’s a bike computer with all that goes with that - it’s a tough environment with rf sensors. Karoo handles the environment as well as the best and better than most but normal caveats with that uniqueness still apply.

I like mine. It’s all my wife and I use now. Shared routes via RWGPS are amazing. I make a change and she syncs and the changed ride is there automatically.

Last edited by JohnJ80; 06-10-21 at 10:50 PM.
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 06-11-21, 04:54 PM
Seattle Forrest

Thanks so much. This is really helpful.

Very specific random issue, I wonder if you @JohnJ80 may know the answer. I have Enve's stem (older not aero one that is sold for road and mountain) and their SES bars. How would I mount the device?
Old 06-11-21, 05:16 PM
Steve B.

Very specific random issue, I wonder if you @JohnJ80 may know the answer. I have Enve's stem (older not aero one that is sold for road and mountain) and their SES bars. How would I mount the device?
If the HH out front mount doesnt fit, you can use a Garmin standard mount which installs with the heavy duty rubber bands. HH provides an adapter that allows the device to install on any Garmin mount.
Old 06-11-21, 09:22 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
yes. The implementation on the Karoo is actually better than on a Garmin unit. It’s very well done.
You can control the radar AND the light from the head unit? I’ve got Wahoo and all we can control is the radar. Garmin units can turn off the light and still get radar warnings (which would be a great option to have).

Interested in how Karoo does it better than Garmin? Can you link the Garmin front lights as well?
Old 06-12-21, 10:44 AM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by aplcr0331
You can control the radar AND the light from the head unit? I’ve got Wahoo and all we can control is the radar. Garmin units can turn off the light and still get radar warnings (which would be a great option to have).

Interested in how Karoo does it better than Garmin? Can you link the Garmin front lights as well?
the radar implementation, warning and display is better than Garmin. they make use of the high res display and when there is no threat there is no display. The display is more prominent, muting is easy, and you know that the Varia is connected but you don’t have the display covered.

There is ant+ light control in the Karoo but I haven’t played with it for the Varia. I don’t want that being turned off under computer control. I do have the Karoo controlling my Bontrager lights for daytime running lights and you can pair both the radar and light portion of the Varia to the Karoo. Looks like there are modes for the light but I haven’t really looked at it.

I also have the lightless version of the Varia so I can tuck it under a rack when I need one and because I find the Bontrager Flare to be a better light than what Garmin has in in the Varia. That way for using less seatpost real estate, I get the best of both.

I got really excited about ant+ light control on my various bike computers (Garmin, Wahoo, Karoo) but it turns out light control as a feature set is pretty heavily controlled by the light supplier and results can be so-so for features beyond on/off. That’s been true on the various lights I’ve tried and regardless of brand. If it reliably turns on and off at the start/stop of a ride, I call it good.
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 06-12-21, 10:52 AM
JohnJ80

Any K-edge mount that works can have an insert from Raceware installed that is the native K2 mount. HH also can supply an adaptor that converts the K2 to Garmin qtr turn.

Raceware also makes a variety of mounts for various cockpits. They also have a universal insert (which I’ve never used). I have 4 or 5 of the inserts in K-edge mounts and they work great. I have out front ones and ones that mount off the stem cap.

also, Close the Gap is releasing a K2 insert in <4 weeks. They have a ton of mounts too. They’re becoming my new favorite mount.
Old 06-12-21, 11:15 AM
Steve B.

Any K-edge mount that works can have an insert from Raceware installed that is the native K2 mount. HH also can supply an adaptor that converts the K2 to Garmin qtr turn.

Raceware also makes a variety of mounts for various cockpits. They also have a universal insert (which I’ve never used). I have 4 or 5 of the inserts in K-edge mounts and they work great. I have out front ones and ones that mount off the stem cap.

also, Close the Gap is releasing a K2 insert in <4 weeks. They have a ton of mounts too. They’re becoming my new favorite mount.
HH supplies a Garmin adapter with a new K2 unit.
Old 06-12-21, 11:47 AM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by Steve B.
HH supplies a Garmin adapter with a new K2 unit.
mine came that way but I thought that was on a promotional basis. At any rate, it’s listed on their website for sale.

I will say this, once installed it isn’t a kludge. It’s like it’s part of the unit. Very well done, IMO.
Likes For JohnJ80: