Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bicycle Locks

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-21, 07:15 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 336 Posts
Bicycle Locks

Hiya Folks,
I was looking for info on bicycle locks and couldn't see a forum for it (or Security in general) or any threads.
I did a search and couldn't find anything either.

Am I going blind or just not looking in the right place ?

The only lock I currently own is over 28 years old and it's a wire cable with a padlock, so I'm guessing the modern thief can get through that in about 5 seconds.
Old 09-06-21, 07:36 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
Look in the "Commuting" forum. Threads about bicycle locks get rehashed about every 6 months. Plenty of opinions, lots of recommendations for folks based on bicycling location and perceived criminal activity.
Old 09-06-21, 07:52 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 336 Posts
Cheers,
found it now
Old 09-06-21, 08:31 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
Look in the "Commuting" forum. Threads about bicycle locks get rehashed about every 6 months. Plenty of opinions, lots of recommendations for folks based on bicycling location and perceived criminal activity.
Time for one of these threads again, it seems. this is about the twenty-eighth such thread I have seen and I haven't been looking.

@skidder has the right advice .....
Old 09-06-21, 03:46 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
If a thief really wants your bike, chances are, they'll get it regardless of the lock. When possible, keep the bike indoors, in a secure location. If you have to leave your bike unattended for an extended period of time, e.g. parked outside at work, it's best to use a bike that doesn't attract attention. I like old 3-speeds for commuting and urban errands. Nothing flashy about them, they're comfortable to ride, usually have mudguards for bad weather, may have racks for cargo, etc. Put a substantial lock on it, and when a thief come to check the available loot, they'll go for the flashy, poorly-locked bike next to yours instead. Maybe not the most spectacular ride, but it sure beats walking home.