Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Hub Questions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage Hub Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-21, 10:15 AM
Bill4742

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Vintage Hub Questions

Greetings-
For sentimental reasons I am restoring a 1979 Schwinn letour IV 10 speed. Probably going to take some gas for doing so but nevertheless I would appreciate any help or guidance on how I might upgrade or restore the rear hub which has a bent axle and rough bearing cones. Apparently replacement parts are not available for the original hub which I believe to be a Maillard Schwinn approved with the numbers 27-78 stamped into the metal. I’m considering upgrading to another/better vintage brand/model if replacement parts are available for another model. Plus from what I understand the original hubs aren’t very good. I have no idea what to look for. I’d like to use the original freewheel which has 1.375x24tpi threads. I think the dropout width is 125mm? I want to be able to ride the bike so I’m open to better quality components vs original where necessary. The front hub arrears ok but honestly I haven’t inspected the cones carefully yet. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Old 09-29-21, 10:45 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Look at your local sales threads and /or co-op
Always find wheels on sale that will fit that frame at either. Probably if original wheels, you have 27s. I'd consider a 700 set as more tire selection than 27s. If you find a cheap set of 27s they're fine just ignore steel rims and get only aluminum.

You have an ISO freewheel that fits an ISO hub. Most US and Canada hubs were ISO. You have either a 5 or 6 speed freewheel, probably a 6 as I believe it was originally a 12 speed (??).

Please update profile to show location and someone might be local who knows a source for you to find a wheel set.
Likes For WGB:
Old 09-29-21, 11:18 AM
Bill4742

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WGB
Look at your local sales threads and /or co-op
Always find wheels on sale that will fit that frame at either. Probably if original wheels, you have 27s. I'd consider a 700 set as more tire selection than 27s. If you find a cheap set of 27s they're fine just ignore steel rims and get only aluminum.

You have an ISO freewheel that fits an ISO hub. Most US and Canada hubs were ISO. You have either a 5 or 6 speed freewheel, probably a 6 as I believe it was originally a 12 speed (??).

Please update profile to show location and someone might be local who knows a source for you to find a wheel set.
Thanks for the info. I am in western suburbs of Chicago. Yes I have 27” wheels. I have new aluminum rims. The freewheel is a 5. I believe you can interchange certain other threads with ISO free wheels.
Old 09-29-21, 11:38 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill4742
I have no idea what to look for... I believe you can interchange certain other threads with ISO free wheels.
That other thread being only Italian.

If you want to buy vintage hubs and build them up on your new 36h rims, what you're looking for is a matching hubset with good (36 count) spoke holes that either hasn't been built up ("nos") or has only been built up once and includes matching skewers. The rear can be either for 126mm or 120mm (preferred) spacing. If 126, you can either spread the frame a little bit (only 4mm from your current 122) to accommodate (and use a 6- of 7-speed freewheel), or you can use a hacksaw on the axle and skewer to keep it a 5-speed.

I have a Campy Nuovo Tipo low-flange set that meets your 5-speed criteria. If you're interested, send me a pm. If I were you, I would go to a co-op. You've mentioned that you want to retain the look of your old high-flange hubs.

Last edited by SurferRosa; 09-29-21 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-29-21, 02:35 PM
Bill4742

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
That other thread being only Italian.

If you want to buy vintage hubs and build them up on your new 36h rims, what you're looking for is a matching hubset with good (36 count) spoke holes that either hasn't been built up ("nos") or has only been built up once and includes matching skewers. The rear can be either for 126mm or 120mm (preferred) spacing. If 126, you can either spread the frame a little bit (only 4mm from your current 122) to accommodate (and use a 6- of 7-speed freewheel), or you can use a hacksaw on the axle and skewer to keep it a 5-speed.

I have a Campy Nuovo Tipo low-flange set that meets your 5-speed criteria. If you're interested, send me a pm. If I were you, I would go to a co-op. You've mentioned that you want to retain the look of your old high-flange hubs.
Thank you for the info and offer. I would like to try to keep the look with a high flange set as you mentioned. I’m not familiar with bike coops. Not sure there is one near me.
Likes For Bill4742:
Old 09-29-21, 04:31 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
The most economical and cost effective way to good aluminum 27 (630mm) wheels is to simply search for a something from circa 1983 - 1985 and you'll likely find that they will most likely have a 6 speed freewheel. You should be able to find a decent set of used wheels for a reasonably low cost, even having them shipped to you.
The reason is that there are more decent used 27 wheelsets out there that have been salvaged from ordinary decent marque base models and small women's frames etc than there is demand for 27 aluminum wheels. By 1984 most quality Japanese marques' like FUJI probably did feature ALUMINUM 27" wheels on even it's most inexpensive, economy models, so you shouldn't find it too difficult to locate a pair of satisfactory ALUMINUM wheels, although you may not easily locate the large flange style wheels.
ALUMINUM 27 (630mm) wheels were standard on most affordable mid-grade offerings from quality marques by 1978 or 1979 so there should no problems finding suitable used wheels. Now, having said that, be forewarned that USED wheelsets likely could require truing and other repairs to spokes, and most importantly such used aluminum wheels could have cracks that may not have been noticed by the seller, and not visible in the limited photographs that the seller has taken of the used rims.
New wheel set would eliminate these potential problem areas that used wheels could possibly have.

Other LeTour information and how to & why from other Le Tour owners, that you should probably read through:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...v-schwinn.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...letour-iv.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...how-yours.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...set-value.html
Old 09-30-21, 04:42 AM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
I might have a pair of Schwinn branded hubs that I could offer on a pay it forward basis; Western 'burbs are within my local stomping area
If you can wait until later today I can check my parts bin after work.
Old 09-30-21, 07:18 AM
Bill4742

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Vintage Schwinn - thanks for sharing. I enjoyed looking thru those posts.
Old 09-30-21, 07:19 AM
Bill4742

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by old's'cool
I might have a pair of Schwinn branded hubs that I could offer on a pay it forward basis; Western 'burbs are within my local stomping area
If you can wait until later today I can check my parts bin after work.
That would be great! I’d definitely want to give you something for your trouble. Thank you!
Old 09-30-21, 11:45 AM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
I would appreciate any help or guidance on how I might upgrade or restore the rear hub which has a bent axle and rough bearing cones.
Have you tried loosescrews.com? I've ordered axles and cones from them to return some of my old hubs (1980's) to running smooth. I haven't ordered from them in a long time, though (over 10 years) so I don't know what they have for inventory.
Old 09-30-21, 01:08 PM
Bill4742

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the tip on loosescrews.com. Didn’t see anything specific to older French hubs there now but lots of shimano stuff. Not sure if shimano parts would work or even if the threads would be the same.
Old 09-30-21, 05:00 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

That would be great! I’d definitely want to give you something for your trouble. Thank you!
So, I dug them up. They're low flange, which I think would suit the vintage of your bike, if not your preference. The rear is fully assembled with a solid axle and rotates smoothly; therefore I assume I overhauled it at some point. The front is a hub only, I probably needed the axle and cones to rebuild another Normandy hub at some point.
If you're still interested, I'll take and post photos.
Old 09-30-21, 05:42 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
Originally Posted by old's'cool
The rear is fully assembled with a solid axle.
He has new rims. I assume he's going to build wheels. In this situation, it would be kind of crazy to use a hub with a solid axle for a road bike.
Old 10-01-21, 04:27 AM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Umm... last time I checked, a hollow axle can be exchanged for a solid axle, if a hollow axle is desired.
Old 10-01-21, 10:18 AM
Bill4742

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the help. The old (existing) rear axle is solid so yes a solid axle and good cone nuts would work for me.