Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite tandem frame for fully loaded touring?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

What's your favorite tandem frame for fully loaded touring?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-22, 10:28 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by motochick
Panaracer gravel king slicks, we use the regular in front and "plus" in the rear. 55psi front, 60psi rear. Capt is 176lbs, stoker 137lbs. plus we carry 50oz of water on our waist each. We have some very nasty rough asphalt roads here and they smooth them out like you wouldn't believe. I wouldn't be surprised if 42's fit, w/out fenders for sure tho.

Brenda
Thanks! You’re motivating me to make the switch. Our weights are essentially identical to yours. 60 psi would be like riding on pillows. Is that tubeless or tubed?
Old 01-20-22, 10:36 PM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by motochick
Panaracer gravel king slicks, we use the regular in front and "plus" in the rear. 55psi front, 60psi rear. Capt is 176lbs, stoker 137lbs. plus we carry 50oz of water on our waist each. We have some very nasty rough asphalt roads here and they smooth them out like you wouldn't believe. I wouldn't be surprised if 42's fit, w/out fenders for sure tho.

Brenda
What fenders are you using? And what fork? On our 2005 Speedster with stock steel fork, I managed to fit a Schwalbe Marathon GT 475 700x38 on our rear under an SKS Chromoplastic fender with some jury-rigging but no way will it fit on front. We tour on Marathon Supreme 700x35s front and aback at 60-70 psi.
Old 01-21-22, 10:15 AM
motochick 

Bikes: '80 Medici Tourismo, '82 Merckx, '85 Peugeot PSN10, '86 Ironman, '89 Trek 520, '96 Steelman, '96 Torelli CX, '97 Friday Two'sDay, '02 CoMo Speedster, '09 Giant Reign, '10 Canfield, '13 Turner DHR, '16 Chase BMX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by reburns
Thanks! You’re motivating me to make the switch. Our weights are essentially identical to yours. 60 psi would be like riding on pillows. Is that tubeless or tubed?
Pillows! That is a great way to describe the feel. There is a section of road here in town that is like slightly worn down rumble strips, the bike club avoids that section like the plague. We can't feel a thing! We are tubed, not entirely convinced to go tubeless on the road yet. And we are avid MTBr's that have never run tubes! We are open to change tho...
Old 01-21-22, 10:21 AM
motochick 

Bikes: '80 Medici Tourismo, '82 Merckx, '85 Peugeot PSN10, '86 Ironman, '89 Trek 520, '96 Steelman, '96 Torelli CX, '97 Friday Two'sDay, '02 CoMo Speedster, '09 Giant Reign, '10 Canfield, '13 Turner DHR, '16 Chase BMX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by sapporoguy
What fenders are you using? And what fork? On our 2005 Speedster with stock steel fork, I managed to fit a Schwalbe Marathon GT 475 700x38 on our rear under an SKS Chromoplastic fender with some jury-rigging but no way will it fit on front. We tour on Marathon Supreme 700x35s front and aback at 60-70 psi.
I think they are some cheapo Planet Bike fenders from a long time ago that we stole off one of my bikes to see if they would fit. The back was easy, the front took some modification, the fork is steel, stock. After all that work, the roads ended up being dry and they were not needed but will most likely stay because our roads are sooooo dusty/dirty. The bike comes back filthy after every ride.
Old 01-21-22, 07:09 PM
ferengii
Ferengii

Bikes: Co-Motion tandem; Bilenky tandem; Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
[QUOTE=Bellman;22380771]feregii, I realize this is not a frame related query, but I am curious how long you've been using the Gebla shifting, how it's working out for you, and if there have been any issues? Thanks.[/QUOTE

Good eye, Bellman! I’ve been using Gebla shifters for 6 years and haven’t had a single problem with them: no adjustments since the first day and no shifting issues. Initially I shifted across several gears at once by pushing the lever farther, but have settled into shifting one gear at a time. I much prefer using “brifters” over the standard Rohloff shifter.

We were touring in Germany with the Gebla system and met another couple on a tandem, and learned that they were on their way to meet with Georg Blaschke (who “invented” the Gebla mechanism) to have him install the system since they weren’t confident about installation. I later communicated with the couple and they said he was able to quickly get the installation done, and that they had no issues at all with the setup and really enjoyed the setup as well.