Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Modified Mondia

Old 04-20-22, 11:25 AM
JasK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Modified Mondia

Hello,
Have a modified early model Mondia. This bike, as well as all vintage bikes I see on this forum has a large story to tell. Glad to share the history in detail in another thread. Today, I intend to put a for sale sign on this bike. I had the frame modified back in the 80's by a frame builder (Celo Europa - Newport Beach, CA). Dupont Imron paint job back then was cost prohibitive. I chose to have the entire bike plated as you see here. No paint chips to be found on this bike. I also had the bottom bracket re-tapped english threading. Just a couple of years ago, changed out the campagnolo bottom bracket assembly with a complete Philwood bracket (SMOOTH AS SILK) rotation spin. The specialized bike parts are installed as part of my bike fitting a few years ago. Campagnolo large flange hubs have been cleaned and re-lubed. What would be a realistic asking price? Thank you.

Campagnolo Nuovo Record Group

Nuovo Record Crank = 170 Strada
Crank Left Arm = 1981 (1 inside a circle)
Crank Right Arm = 1977 (7 inside a diamond)
Tapers on both crank arms are clean and sharp.

Bottom Bracket Shell = 68 mm

Total Axle Length = 112.3 mm

English Threading
Right Cup = Left Handed Threading
Left Cup = Right Handed Threading

Last edited by JasK; 04-20-22 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-20-22, 12:53 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Fun and interesting but finding the potential owner who might value it as much as you...
luck, big luck.

My suggestion would be to sell it a la carte.
Old 04-20-22, 01:33 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
That's a beautiful build. Based on my own outlays for purchase and/or completion of certain bikes, I'd suggest $800 to $1,000 might be a reasonable price. I'm sure that's less than you spent, but the market seldom gives it all back to us.
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Old 04-21-22, 03:36 PM
JasK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank You CroMo Mike & repechage.

repechage, parting out (al a carte) as you suggested does have it's advantages. Campagnolo parts fetch a premium out in the markets indeed.

CroMo Mike, appreciate your response. I had my $$$ figures a few hundred higher, but your figures are very likely real.

Again, to the both of you, thank you for taking the time to look and respond.

Respectfully,
JasK
Old 04-21-22, 09:55 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3867 Post(s)
Liked 6,452 Times in 3,192 Posts
Does it have a Mondia serial number? As a buyer/collector, that would be important to me.

As a seller, I would switch out the cockpit to something period correct. Find an appropriate Mondia decal (or two). Maybe a decal for the head badge. Mount down tube shifters. And then try to market it for whatever I could get, starting around $700ish and accepting $500ish.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 04-22-22, 03:05 PM
JasK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi SuferRosa,

During the bike frame modification on this Mondia, the seat stay tubings were part of that modification. Mondia stamped serials on seat stay at top of seat tube. Going the decal route and head badge I've also pondered greatly. Good advice. I've temporarily put a hold on the for sale sign on this bike since replies from repechage & CroMo Mike. repechage's advice is weighing heavily at the moment.
Old 04-22-22, 08:35 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3867 Post(s)
Liked 6,452 Times in 3,192 Posts
Originally Posted by JasK
seat stay tubings were part of that modification.
Just curious; why?
Old 04-23-22, 04:17 AM
JasK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike frame modification, as i recall, bottom bracket change with frame geometry change, water bottle bosses, brazed on cable guides. It was 1973 when I earned enough $$$ doing summer work for my uncle that got me this bike. Schwinn Paramount's at the time were on my radar. Colnago frames were ridiculously out of price range for me. Never knew what a Mondia was before I was approached with offer to purchase it. At the age of 13 y.o./ getting into a ride like this, was always a challenge for me. Sew-up tires with Red Label Fiamme wheels, toe straps pedals, brooks brass leather seat, triple-t handle bars, down tube shifters, ALL THESE I did not care or like on this bike. Over the many years and a good paying job, I was able to make some decent modernized changes. The folks at Celo Europa had the 531 Reynolds tubing to make the changes to the frame. I really thought that I would keep this bike for my lifetime. Fast forward to 2022, I'm 62 y.o., don't ride at all anymore. This bike is occupying she-shed space. I'm constantly getting the stink eye while the bike does nothing but sit and beg me to ride her again!! So...my dilemma is where we are now. This is my very first adventure into selling a good friend of a bike. Oh btw, every July I am a faithful Tour'd France race follower. Love all colorful race jerseys, especially the Yellow ones!!

Last edited by JasK; 04-23-22 at 04:28 AM.
Old 04-23-22, 01:51 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Celo Europa probably sublet the work to Medici, which meant Mike Howard.
He was on facebook, but has been in marginal health.
With the modifications, no question. Sell it off by part or take up riding again, riding is how I intend to have a long retirement.