Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Permanently Lock Old Front for Shocks

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-22, 05:41 PM
vins0010

Bikes: '86 Trek Elance 400; '83 Trek 520; 90s Specialized Crossroads, '84 Trek 610 (wife's), 90s Trek Multitrack (wife's), Cargo Trailers, Burley for the Kids, WeeHoo Trailer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I'm not much of a mountain biker, but I picked up an old, Trek, mountain bike to use as a light trail/go anywhere bike when I'm riding with my kids (6 and 9). We're also going camping in a few weeks and need to bike in a mile to our campsite and my Trek road bike isn't up for this. This old bike is fine, but it does have front suspension. The suspension is in good shape considering (i.e., doesn't bottom out or anything) but I just don't like suspension. I've read you can put dowel rods in there or the like to lock it out (and no, this bike isn't worth getting a new fork for unless I just stumble upon one that would work).

Any other options just to immobilize his fork?
Old 05-16-22, 06:14 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
What year and model is your Trek and even better what make/model are the forks?
Old 05-16-22, 06:24 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
To ride a bike one mile from the car to the campsite doesn’t seem worth rushing to modify a fork that is currently working. Have some patience, take the proper measurements, and shop around for a good fitting rigid fork, even if it doesn’t happen in time for this trip. You’ll be able to enjoy it on the next excursion and thereafter.

Last edited by Rolla; 05-16-22 at 06:28 PM.
Likes For Rolla: