Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A Placard for Motorized Bicycle

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-22, 10:51 PM
Scooter12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I own a 49cc scooter and was told by a police officer, that motorized bicycle are prohibited from sidewalks. That I could park it on the street like other vehicles. It sort of rubbed me the wrong way, because I live in a town of only 1500 people. Telling me they take it seriously. So me having a permanent disability, I thought, if they wish me to park like other vehicles, than I will be entitled to all the rights and duties of any other vehicle including a handicapped parking permit.

​​​​​​So I started thinking. The State of Missouri gives Disabled Motorcycle Riders a placard or Disabled Plate. This allows them to access handicap parking. So I looked on the internet for a 49cc scooter that had a handicap parking permits. Could not find anyone. I thought, This is discrimination. So I emailed the Dept of Revenue to see if I could get a placard or plate stating Disabled. What makes this worse is this small town has a park, grocery store, Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Casey's, school, restaurants and not one bicycle rack to lock bikes up.

​​​​​​THe Dept of Revenue decided I could have a placard but not a Disabled Plate. Because my 49cc scooter is classified as a motorized bicycle and not a registered vehicle. So now I am finding out whose responsibility it is to implement bicycle racks in front of stores. Because I ride a bicycle sometimes too. Take my service dog for rides.
Old 05-20-22, 11:30 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooter12
if they wish me to park like other vehicles, than I will be entitled to all the rights and duties of any other vehicle
Like title, motorcycle license, registration, inspections, and insurance? Be careful what you wish for.

So now I am finding out whose responsibility it is to implement bicycle racks in front of stores.
I'd talk directly to the stores themselves. Or their home offices.

Last edited by Rolla; 05-20-22 at 11:33 PM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-22-22, 08:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
Does your motorized bicycle comply with the regulations for an e-bike. If not, you won't get any sympathy from me for where you are allowed and not allowed with your bike. Get something more appropriate to you and where and how you want to use it. In some jurisdictions, even human powered bicycles are not allowed on side walks.

However I very much like that on my bicycle that I am entitled to all the rights and duties of any other vehicle. Though realize that that does not prohibit more restrictive rules that might apply to particular types of vehicles.
Old 05-22-22, 09:46 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Motorized bicycles, Mopeds and Motor Scooters are not the same things, and there are things that you can and can't do with one or the other, depending on your jurisdiction.

In VA, where my vehicles are registered,a 49cc scooter isn't a motorized bicycle, it's classified as a Moped, which can receive a Moped license plate, allowing for low speed operation, on public roads, without a driver's license. You could get a Disabled license plate, but it would have to be registered as a motorcycle, which comes with more registration and licensing requirements.

Generally, since you can't ride a motor scooter on the sidewalk, you can't park on it either.
That said, you can park a motorcycle or scooter a lot of places that aren't full-sized parking spaces; as long as they're not vehicle traffic or foot access.
Adding in the need to lock it to something is a consideration, and while it's usually acceptable to lock a bike to a convenient lamp post or handrail, it's usually discouraged to put your scooter on a bike rack
Old 05-22-22, 10:00 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 274 Posts
Petro powered bicycles are the red headed stepchild of powerized bicycles. There are the state laws and there can be different laws for county and city. The laws are intentionally convoluted for Petro powered bicycles. That noisy engine paints a target on the back of your head for any law enforcement person, because they notice you. Even if you follow all the state and other laws in your location, you may still be in violation of someone's laws.
Old 05-23-22, 08:57 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 778 Posts
So now I am finding out whose responsibility it is to implement bicycle racks in front of stores.
Unless laws in your area mandate that stores, restaurants, etc must provide bicycle racks, then the "responsibility" to implement bike racks falls to no one. Bicycle racks are a courtesy. Going into a store demanding to know who is 'responsible' for installing them will probably get you nowhere fast. You would most likely have better luck asking to speak to a manager, and explain your situation to him/her in a calm, rational way. Even then, if it's a national chain, they may not have the authority to do so.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 05-23-22, 10:04 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
In your town of 1500, does anyone else have a motorized scooter?

John
Old 05-23-22, 10:13 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Maybe ask 49cc Scooter Forums.

https://49ccscoot.proboards.com/
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-23-22, 02:32 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
This is a forum for pedal bikes or e bikes.

Good luck.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind: